• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Noise from hydraulic pump when applying motion plus bubbles in the hydraulic tank sight glass

Sameh

1. From your photo it appears that the oil could possibly be contaminated with water. Does the possibility exist that whatever container the Mobil oil was stored in by the customer could have somehow become contaminated with water before the oil was even put into the hydraulic tank.?
Another possibility could be a poor seal on the hydraulic tank cap that let water into the tank while the machine was being washed.
How about the possiibility of a maintenance person putting water or coolant in the hydraulic tank by mistake when his intention was to top up the cooling system.? This is entirely possible if the fluid was filled from the remote Wiggins quick coupler at ground level.
2. A plugged return filter if the oil was in the condition seen in the photo would not surprise me at all. When was the filter last changed before you changed it today.?
3. I suspect that the new oil you filled into the tank will require changing in a short time because there will have been oil in the rest of the hydraulic system (lines, cylinder, travel motors, etc) that you did not drain. The oil in the tank might need to be changed a couple of times before it finally becomes completely clean.
4. I can see no reason why the Mobil oil does not comply with the "Approved" list for the hydraulic system in the O&M Manual. After all it is an SAE10W hydraulic oil according to the Mobil specification sheet - "Mobil Delvac Legend 1310 is a high performance hydraulic oil"
5. Did you remove and clean the suction screen located in the bottom of the hydraulic tank.? See illustration.

View attachment 273163
Thank you very much for your great support, my friend.
1. I want you to know that I have noticed now from the PSR that the machine application is hammer although it is attached with s bucket.
2. Suction screen is ok.

Sameh

1. From your photo it appears that the oil could possibly be contaminated with water. Does the possibility exist that whatever container the Mobil oil was stored in by the customer could have somehow become contaminated with water before the oil was even put into the hydraulic tank.?
Another possibility could be a poor seal on the hydraulic tank cap that let water into the tank while the machine was being washed.
How about the possiibility of a maintenance person putting water or coolant in the hydraulic tank by mistake when his intention was to top up the cooling system.? This is entirely possible if the fluid was filled from the remote Wiggins quick coupler at ground level.
2. A plugged return filter if the oil was in the condition seen in the photo would not surprise me at all. When was the filter last changed before you changed it today.?
3. I suspect that the new oil you filled into the tank will require changing in a short time because there will have been oil in the rest of the hydraulic system (lines, cylinder, travel motors, etc) that you did not drain. The oil in the tank might need to be changed a couple of times before it finally becomes completely clean.
4. I can see no reason why the Mobil oil does not comply with the "Approved" list for the hydraulic system in the O&M Manual. After all it is an SAE10W hydraulic oil according to the Mobil specification sheet - "Mobil Delvac Legend 1310 is a high performance hydraulic oil"
5. Did you remove and clean the suction screen located in the bottom of the hydraulic tank.? See illustration.

View attachment 273163
Many thanks for your great support, my friend.
1. I just checked the PSR and found the application is hammer not bucket.
2. The suction screen is good.
What will hammer application affect the pumps over than bucket?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I just checked the PSR and found the application is hammer not bucket.
What will hammer application affect the pumps over than bucket?
Yes it will. Here is an extract from the O&M Manual.
"The use of hydraulic hammers shortens the life of the hydraulic oil. If a hydraulic hammer is used, the maintenance interval for both the hydraulic system filter and for the hydraulic oil change is reduced.
If hammer use is 50%, replace the hydraulic system filter every 250 hours and change the hydraulic oil every 1000 hours.
If hammer use is 100%, replace the hydraulic system filter every 100 hours and change the hydraulic oil every 600 hours."

You said before that the machine currently has 1180 hours. Has the machine been fitted with a hammer for all of that time and have the hydraulic oil and filters ever been changed since the machine was new until you changed them yesterday.?

Nige

Another thought about the machine. The "GC" in the model designation stands for "General Construction". The GC models appear to be a more lightweight version of the Cat excavator line. A couple of years ago I commissioned four 345GC excavators and was surprised how small and light they were considering that the "45" should be approximately the machine weight in tonnes. The 345GC machines weighed not much more than a fleet of 336D excavators that they were replacing.

As an example a 330GC machine weighs around 7 tonnes less than a 330D.

I have doubts how long a 330GC machine will survive if it is operated full-time with a hammer before it starts to suffer structural problems in the boom, stick, upper frame, and swing bearing.

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Another thought about the machine. The "GC" in the model designation stands for "General Construction". The GC models appear to be a more lightweight version of the Cat excavator line. A couple of years ago I commissioned four 345GC excavators and was surprised how small and light they were considering that the "45" should be approximately the machine weight in tonnes. The 345GC machines weighed not much more than a fleet of 336D excavators that they were replacing.

As an example a 330GC machine weighs around 7 tonnes less than a 330D.

I have doubts how long a 330GC machine will survive if it is operated full-time with a hammer before it starts to suffer structural problems in the boom, stick, upper frame, and swing bearing.
Constructive comment being honest
Kind regards
Uffex

Sameh

Thank you Naige.
I got information already about oil change interval and filter change with hammer.
What's your opinion if the machine is equipped with bucket but the configuration is hammer as application.
What will change with pumps?

Nige

What's you opinion if the machine is equipped with bucket but the configuration is hammer as application.
What will change with pumps?
Sorry I don't know. I would suggest that if the machine is going to work part of the time with a hammer and part of the time with a bucket that the tool menu should be switched from one to the other depending which one is installed. If the operators do not know how to do this then they should receive instructiuon.

Sameh

Look Nige, No problem with suction screen nor the case drain screen. I will check the excavator again next days and I will check the difference between parameters when the application is a bucket and when it is a hammer specially the desired pump Flow. I guess the hammer application forces the pump to provide a continuous high Flow. Once I have a result, i'll provide you with updates.

DerrickOlley

The main thing is to pass the technical inspection on time! And change the oil in the vehicle! it all depends on the intensity of use! But there is a lifetime warranty!