• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Noise from hydraulic pump when applying motion plus bubbles in the hydraulic tank sight glass

Sameh

330GC excavator has a problem as when applying motion, noise comes from the hydraulic pump like the cavitation sound.

LACHAU

The symptoms clearly indicated that the cause was a phenomenon known as cavitation in the machine's hydraulic system.
Did you repair or do anything to the hydraulic system of the machine before?

Sameh

The symptoms clearly indicated that the cause was a phenomenon known as cavitation in the machine's hydraulic system.
Did you repair or do anything to the hydraulic system of the machine before?
No, I drained the oil, no signs of debris but the oil was bad and low viscous

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day
Had a similar issue with a machine which had semi blocked return filters, the bypass valve opened collecting air as it dumped fluid to tank.
The owner had used a heavy grade of fluid, this also contributed, may not be applicable but worth a mention.
Kind regards
Uffex

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
What is the high-low ambient temperature range that the machine generally operates in.?
Does the noise at the start of motion of a function stay there all the time or does it disappear when the machine gets up to normal operating temperature.?

Sameh

What is the high-low ambient temperature range that the machine generally operates in.?
Does the noise at the start of motion of a function stay there all the time or does it disappear when the machine gets up to normal operating temperature.?
It is erratic comes and goes, but it appeared most while starting. I want to add an information the customer drained cat oil and filled this mobil oil.

Attachments

• IMG-20221120-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20221120-WA0004.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 11

Nige

We used TO-4 oil in hydraulic systems with no issues. I wouldn't see a problem using an oil meeting TO-2 specification in a hydraulic system either. The Mobil oil is an SAE10W, the OP originally said the oil in the system was "Hydo advance 30" (I am assuming Cat Advanced HYDO 30). So my question is which one of the two options is actually in the machine right now.?

I would still like some details regarding the ambient temperature range in which the machine operates.

NOTE: The use of SAE10W powertrain oils in hydraulic systems is not new. TO-2/TO-4 oils contain additives that work in compartments containing friction materials, and they are mandatory in compartments where such materials are used. There is no reason that such oils should not be used if the compartment in question does not contain friction materials. We had certain compartments (torque converters and wet brakes) that required the use of a TO-4 oil. We elected not to have regular hydraulic oil on site and to use TO-4 in all hydraulic systems to avoid the possibility of someone filling a compartment that required a TO-4 oil with a regular hydraulic oil by mistake. This was done with the approval of both the oil supplier and the OEM although the O&M Manuals did not show that option. I see no problem with the TO-2 specification oil in a hydraulic system. Multigrade engine oils are also listed as an option in a hydraulic system in Cat O&M Manuals.

Nige

This is the O&M Manual list of Recommended (top 4 in bold) and Approved (all the others) oils for the hydraulic system on a 330GC.
Three of the first four options include Cat TDTO, the commercial equivalent of which is a TO-4 oil.
The engine-classification oils appear in the 2nd group.

upload_2022-11-20_15-26-50.png

Sameh

We used TO-4 oil in hydraulic systems with no issues. I wouldn't see a problem using an oil meeting TO-2 specification in a hydraulic system either. The Mobil oil is an SAE10W, the OP originally said the oil in the system was "Hydo advance 30" (I am assuming Cat Advanced HYDO 30). So my question is which one of the two options is actually in the machine right now.?

I would still like some details regarding the ambient temperature range in which the machine operates.

NOTE: The use of SAE10W powertrain oils in hydraulic systems is not new. TO-2/TO-4 oils contain additives that work in compartments containing friction materials, and they are mandatory in compartments where such materials are used. There is no reason that such oils should not be used if the compartment in question does not contain friction materials. We had certain compartments (torque converters and wet brakes) that required the use of a TO-4 oil. We elected not to have regular hydraulic oil on site and to use TO-4 in all hydraulic systems to avoid the possibility of someone filling a compartment that required a TO-4 oil with a regular hydraulic oil by mistake. This was done with the approval of both the oil supplier and the OEM although the O&M Manuals did not show that option. I see no problem with the TO-2 specification oil in a hydraulic system. Multigrade engine oils are also listed as an option in a hydraulic system in Cat O&M Manuals.
Our ambient temperature from 20 to 30 degrees in these winter days

Sameh

Thanks for your efforts, friend. After a long day, some information you should all know:
1. The noise problem disappeared completely today After changing CAT oil.
2. I will leave you a pic of the drained oil condition.
3. With cat ET I found the return hyd oil filter status is blugged.
4. I checked the switch, it is stuck on the plug condition, I want to say that the old oil plugged the filter and left from the bypass and pressed the switch to the plug condition and it stucked in this condition.
5. Till now we have no problem with pumps or bubbles presence.
We want to know the reason which make the filters plugged.
The excavator has only 1180 hours.

Attachments

• IMG-20221120-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20221120-WA0006.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 20

Sameh

Sorry for some wrong feedback. Please know that this problem occured before changing oil and disappeared now with mobil oil.
We will take CAT opinion with this mobil oil specs if it is permissible or not.
The customer complaint was about noise from pumps and bubbles presence. And when I checked today I reached that the noise they heared was the bypass sound and it was the reason of bubbles formation also but I have no idea why this oil contaminated very fast?

Nige

1. From your photo it appears that the oil could possibly be contaminated with water. Does the possibility exist that whatever container the Mobil oil was stored in by the customer could have somehow become contaminated with water before the oil was even put into the hydraulic tank.?
Another possibility could be a poor seal on the hydraulic tank cap that let water into the tank while the machine was being washed.
How about the possiibility of a maintenance person putting water or coolant in the hydraulic tank by mistake when his intention was to top up the cooling system.? This is entirely possible if the fluid was filled from the remote Wiggins quick coupler at ground level.
2. A plugged return filter if the oil was in the condition seen in the photo would not surprise me at all. When was the filter last changed before you changed it today.?
3. I suspect that the new oil you filled into the tank will require changing in a short time because there will have been oil in the rest of the hydraulic system (lines, cylinder, travel motors, etc) that you did not drain. The oil in the tank might need to be changed a couple of times before it finally becomes completely clean.
4. I can see no reason why the Mobil oil does not comply with the "Approved" list for the hydraulic system in the O&M Manual. After all it is an SAE10W hydraulic oil according to the Mobil specification sheet - "Mobil Delvac Legend 1310 is a high performance hydraulic oil"
5. Did you remove and clean the suction screen located in the bottom of the hydraulic tank.? See illustration.

upload_2022-11-20_20-13-51.png