• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

no fire 3406e

Beetle_Spin

iv got power on 45 key hot on 70 but power on 52 and no wire on 53 on that plug but the plug on the right has a wire in 53 but still no power to it

Truck Shop

52 and 53 are unswitched constant power, did you check the breakers/fuses and connections at batteries,
starter areas?

Beetle_Spin

i dont see any fuses near the battery or starter area the only fuses for the batterys that i see are the mini ones inside and the big 100 amp ones under the hood that look like a junktion box

Beetle_Spin

also what i found strange is one plug has 52 but no 53 and the other has 53 but no 52 wire but it was dark when i went to check them and im also dislexic so that dosent help me much i will check agin tomarow if the weather allows

Beetle_Spin

also one more thing i noticed is when the tac "moves" it just drops down from zero to as low as it can go same as the speedo just realised its not actualy reading rpms if im thinking right yes its moveing but not in the right way

Truck Shop

Crank/cam sensor I'm thinking-I ran through the same scenario before with a very early 5EK.

Beetle_Spin

i swaped the crank sensor with a new one someone let me borrow it didnt change anything but from what i am reading it seems that the cam sensor is what allows it to crank up but please correct me if i am wrong im new to working on trucks drive em daily work on them rarely

Beetle_Spin

i changed all 3 white wires out 2 were skinned real bad 1 was almost cut in half but the ground wire still has voltage on it can anyone explain why it would

Truck Shop

Check starter area, make sure all grounds from starter to block to frame are clean and tight.
In some cases depending on application ecm grounds are also attached in those spots.
Sometimes those can be missed when a starter has been changed out in past.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Check starter area, make sure all grounds from starter to block to frame are clean and tight.
In some cases depending on application ecm grounds are also attached in those spots.
Sometimes those can be missed when a starter has been changed out in past.
Or the 10ga cables at the batteries and the weatherpack/deutsch connector in between the batteries and the ECM.

terex herder

Physically tug on every connection as well. Had a C15 that suddenly shut off on the road. Short version was the computer power wire at the positive battery connection was broken. A quick look showed every thing looked. A tug test revealed the failed ring connector.

Beetle_Spin

sorry been so long got discuraged at the truck and didnt do anything to it for a while but its sounding like its a ground from all the ground responces im almost certin the white wire that shows 10 volts is supost to be a ground becouse if i touch it to positive truck wont cycle or anything atm it will bust off on either for a split second im thinking it could be not primed but the primer pump is hard to push external gage hooked to the fuel filter base shows 60-70 pounds when cranking but drops to zero when i stop if this rain holds out i will check and clean all of the grounds fingers crossed this ole girl will wake up soon

Beetle_Spin

how much of a voltage drop is normal at the starter i put a volt meter on the power wire and got someone to turn it over we had the batterys on a charger so was reading 13 volts when they turned it over the voltage droped to 8 volts

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
how much of a voltage drop is normal at the starter i put a volt meter on the power wire and got someone to turn it over we had the batterys on a charger so was reading 13 volts when they turned it over the voltage droped to 8 volts
Isn't the electrical system 24v rather than 12v.? Certainly sounds like it when you mention "batteries" rather than "battery". Anything stamped on the starter to indicate voltage.?

Are the batteries wired in series or in parallel.?

Beetle_Spin

the 3 batterys are wired in paralell thats how they were before it got shut down i believe there is a stamp on the starter i will have to check if it says 12 or 24

Last edited:

Beetle_Spin

the starter use to have a sticker on it but the writeing is long gone but i did some checking with a volt meter and found the frame is energized and that the culprite is one of the 3 smaller wires that run to a junktion box with 100 amp fuses at the top of the fire wall does anyone happen to know which wires in that setup is power and which is ground before i cut into the wire loom to trace wires out