1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Nineties Logging

Discussion in 'Forestry Operations' started by John C., Feb 21, 2020.

1. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    I was going through some of my old video productions that are still on tape and came across this from around 1996. It shows a typical high lead operation using a carriage on a Skagit tower, Link Belt with a Denis telescoping boom delimiter and a Thunderbird logging shovel. It explains a little about the process and was produced for people that had never seen logging before. Most people who were not part of the industry at that time didn't understand sorting timber in the woods. You don't see stroke delimbers much anymore.

2. Labparamour

Labparamour Senior Member

Nice video. Thanks for sharing it.
    Beautiful day to be in the woods.
    Now, a 35* rainy winter day.... makes you appreciate the hard work done getting timber to market.

I enjoyed the first season (before all the drama) of Ax Men for being able to see the different operations and equipment.

Truck Shop and John C. like this.
  3. JPV

JPV Senior Member

Great video, looked like an Elmer Cook truck there!

RZucker and Hallback like this.
  4. Blocker in MS

Blocker in MS Senior Member

That is a great video John C. When I was a boy I got ahold of Logger’s World magazine and ended up with a subscription. There was always some fascinating stuff in the PNW. I bet somewhere on the farm there is still that Denharco VHS tape.

RZucker likes this.
  5. John C.

John C. Senior Member

It probably was one of Cook's trucks. The show was out by Boisford as I recall. Thanks for the kind comments.

RZucker and JPV like this.
  6. 92U 3406

92U 3406 Senior Member

Professional Wrench Spinner
    Back when logging actually paid money!

Mother Deuce, Hallback and Truck Shop like this.
  7. Mike L

Mike L Senior Member

Self employed field mechanic
    Stroke delimbers are still on almost every mechanical operation over here on the east coast. Mostly pro-pac. Starting to see a few pull through setups here and there.

8. John C.

John C. Senior Member

I think I've only seen one in the last five years here. I'm told they work better when the sap is running as there is no slippage that you see on the rollers of the dangle heads that are common here now. It's mostly Waratahs and a few Keto heads now but there are others showing up as well. Maybe someone can give some insights to the new ones.

9. Mike L

Mike L Senior Member

Self employed field mechanic
    As far as I know on the pro pac limbers, slippage isn’t an issue because the rear grab arms can hold it tight enough. As far as the processer heads go slippage can be an issue towards spring because the bark gets loose on the trees. Waratah and Ponsse heads are very popular here and some guys are mating the ponsse head to different brand machines. I’ve never seen a keto head.

10. John C.

John C. Senior Member

The Keto head uses tracks instead of tires or spike wheels. I've seen a couple of Pro Pacs here but the Denis was king for a long time.

11. Hallback

Hallback Senior Member

Contract logger and cutter
    We still have a stroker but also a 623c Waratah & just ordered a Southstar 605 grapple processor.

12. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Nice, how old is the stroker? Let us know what you think of the Southstar.

13. Hallback

Hallback Senior Member

Contract logger and cutter
    The stroker is a Pierce 3348 on a Cat 324dfm. It's a 2010 I believe. I like the Southstar heads, we used to have a qs500.

John C. likes this.
  14. Muffler Bearing

Muffler Bearing Senior Member

Truck Mechanic
    Why the whistle? were radios not reliable?

15. John C.

John C. Senior Member

That's a good question. I suppose the thing with a whistle is that everyone can hear it and act accordingly. Radios generally only work for the people who have them tuned to the same type of radio and same frequency. You don't garble up a whistle or mis-understand the message that is being conveyed.

RZucker, Truck Shop, Hallback and 3 others like this.
  16. Birken Vogt

Birken Vogt Charter Member

I saw it shown on another place that when they were telling the yarder operator what to do over the radio only, he had to punch out the whistle signals himself so as to inform others in the area what would be happening.

Labparamour and Muffler Bearing like this.
  17. Tugger2

Tugger2 Senior Member

I think a radio occupys too much of a guys time ,always is more chatter than neccesary. Guys on the rigging have their hands full most of the time,when i was a kid setting chokers they would joke ,run in for your money and out for your lives. No confusion with whistles,just hit the bug 3 times and shes going ahead,once and all stops

RZucker and Muffler Bearing like this.
  18. mitch504

mitch504 Senior Member

Around here, (South Carolina coastal plain), every thing is delimbed with pull through setups mounted on the loader trailer, except for one or two crawler loaders.

19. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

Nothing like a yarder whistle to get peoples attention, which reminds me I have a whistle off a Madill in a box some where around the house.

Hallback, JPV and donkey doctor like this.
  20. donkey doctor

donkey doctor Senior Member

retired
    Love the sound of a yarding whistle. Stands the hair on the back of my neck up. I have 3. Don't blow for the hooker at midnight on new years eve if your neighbor has horses tho. Lucky she thought it was just the shotguns being fired off. d.d.

Hank R, Hallback and Tugger2 like this.