• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Newbie from PA

DuraMaxMan66

Occupation
PT student/operator
hello...just found this forum in a search...its great! I have been around equipment since i was little....started working for a family friends excavation business when i was 15 washing equipment and trucks and other misc. chores.I started to get firewood for him from his wood shed on top of the mountain and took his backhoe all the time to bring it down. I then Turned 16 and he was short handed one snow storm and I started plowing now with his 580 super L. As I got older I started to go on jobs with him and his guys when i had off school and would get to jump on other equipment every now and then. Graduated high school in '06. Worked for a Concrete plant that summer and did **** jobs for awhile, then when the regular loader (930G) operator got thrown into a truck i had to run it to load the plant and load the 2 ton blocks we made from extra concrete onto trucks. Started college that fall for heavy equipment operator and business management.Worked for a big heavy highway contractor this summer and got more experience on some diff stuff. And here i am now in my second year having a great time learning!! I will finish college in 2010 with a Bachelors degree in equipment ops/business tech. mngmt., i cant wait, dont know where i will go from there? Whatever i can get with those credentials i guess!:drinkup :D

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
Welcome aboard DuraMaxMan,

I'm a 2006 graduate from the operator's program:usa Which contractor did you work for last summer? Hope you enjoy the school, got any questions, feel free to ask, I'll help the best I can:beatsme :drinkup

DuraMaxMan66

Occupation
PT student/operator
Welcome aboard DuraMaxMan,

I'm a 2006 graduate from the operator's program:usa Which contractor did you work for last summer? Hope you enjoy the school, got any questions, feel free to ask, I'll help the best I can:beatsme :drinkup

i worked for GOH or Glenn O. Hawbaker. It was an ok time i guess.....they pay well but work u to death. I was with a grading crew for the first part of the summer prepping parking lots for paving and such and that was fun. Then in july i was told i had to go to a bridge crew for the rest of the summer working on a bridge that was over an hour away. There was no operating to be done there it was all manual labor. i had to run a 90lb jack hammer all day for 3 days straight. i was like this isnt me, i went in there to get some operating exp. and this is what i get>?? So i left....
But as far as the school its been awesome so far....have met quite a crew of awesome instructors :drinkup

Wolf

JaCKHAMMER

Running a jackhammer can be a lot of fun, especially if they let you destroy stuff with it. What kind of stuff were you busting up with the jackhammer? If you can get on a demoliton crew doing demo with a jack hammer, it will keep you in really great shape man. It's hard work, but you get a great workout doing it and it will really build up your strenght and stamina and it's fun to bust up old buildings with the jackhammer and reduce it to rubble. Good luck, I hope you get to do some demolition of old buildings with the jack hammer. I love it. Also fun to bust up old places with a sledge hammer and wrecking bar. Builds up your arms big time bro. Later, man.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Wolf, I'm really beginning to wonder about your well being. I can't ever remember having fun running a jack hammer, it's back breaking work. Between the noise, dust, pounding and heat from the hammer I can't think of much I'd like to do less.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
I can't ever remember having fun running a jack hammer, ...

I can remember having a whole lot of fun running a jackhammer. As a matter of fact, I could probably still have fun with it today, but not for as long. I'll qualify that statement by saying that I realized even then that you do have to be sort of defective if that's your idea of fun, but I'll admit to being that too... :dizzy

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
i worked for GOH or Glenn O. Hawbaker. It was an ok time i guess.....they pay well but work u to death. I was with a grading crew for the first part of the summer prepping parking lots for paving and such and that was fun. Then in july i was told i had to go to a bridge crew for the rest of the summer working on a bridge that was over an hour away. There was no operating to be done there it was all manual labor. i had to run a 90lb jack hammer all day for 3 days straight. i was like this isnt me, i went in there to get some operating exp. and this is what i get>?? So i left....
But as far as the school its been awesome so far....have met quite a crew of awesome instructors :drinkup

I've heard similar stories about GOH, I grew up in Bloomsburg, and tried a few summers to get a job with some local compaines, but nothing panned out till after I started at PCT. What instructors do you have so far? Is Rankinen still up there?:usa

welcome to HEF...

i went to Penn Tech goin
Greevy taken care of ya.....

:lmao :lmao :stirthepot :falldownlaugh