• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

new truck

jmac

dayexco i've always wondered how you pay for a truck, replace tires, brakes, engines, trannys, pay a driver, fuel.........on $60 an hour?

I agree with ya! The fuel is around $10 per hour so you net $50 or less per hour. A 8 hour day will bring $400 or $2000 a week. I will only consider this if:
You have at least a full week of work and you drive the truck yourself. This job I will be doing has 4 weeks of work and it is 2 miles from load to dump site. So $8000 will pay some bills but if I had any other work going on I would be doing that instead. I also use 89' Mack so my payment on the truck isn't much and it is just sitting this month and so am I.

Last edited:

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I put a HD Pete 378 and a side dump on with the large contractors in the area for about 4 years. I had the impression I was making money, the checks would come in every two weeks, depending on the hours anywhere from 3500 to 4800 dollars. I thought it would be nice to keep the truck running when I didn't need it. The margins are razor thin. Any hiccup and your losing money. The driver made out great, but I didn't make enough to justify it any longer. I had a guy offer me what I paid for the set up complete 4 years prior. I took the deal and sold it off. I miss the truck and the side dump for my own projects but it was too good of a deal to turn down.

Back to the thread at hand, great looking truck. I will say from experience those cement mixer front tires are expensive to replace. The 18 speed is a great tranny IMHO. Linked to a high HP CAT you'll never run the truck out of breath.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
I guarantee you any body that has driven your previous truck which you say is a Mack will be far less fatigued by the end of the day. You get one of those older trucks shaking the hell out of your body wears you down.

As for the supersingle steer tires they have been used in B.C. for years they used to be 600 dollars each but now they are up to 1000 each because the cost of rubber is so high. You can still get those overseas brand Double Coin cheaper but you definatly get what you pay for they peal off quick. The Hankooks are not too bad the Kelly Springfield isn't bad either guy have use Continental a decent tire.

With a dump truck tires are the biggest expense you ruin 1 or 2 tires in one day that is a good kick to the groin it hurts. I know of contractors that have fired drivers over ruining too many tires.

Like the saying if its got "**** or Tires your going to have troubles with it" :laugh

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
I will say from experience those cement mixer front tires are expensive to replace.

The Super Single steers cost more but they last longer too dont they? :beatsme

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Nope they don't last longer if we are lucky 6 to 8 months if the truck is hauling allot. You need the supersingles for the load capacity they are a necessary evil. Never calculated the mileage just by the months. The tire life also depends on the driver I seen supersingles wear out in 3 months because the driver pushing the truck in the corners.

Wawrecker

I have been billing out our 4 axle Kenworth hooklift at $105hr and havent had one complaint. We generaly only haul our own stuff but sometimes haul by the hour. Its even better hauling demo for others for $90 a ton trucking and dump fees included with a 5 ton min when you are 60 mins or less from the dump and there operators dont pay attention to the amount of dirt and brick they mix in the loads and you hit 11-13 tons $$$$$$$$$$$, We have a rate due to volume around $50 a ton at the dump.

tylermckee

going rate for a triaxle truck around here is $90/hour, guys arent getting rich but they are staying in business.

A little off topic but i was talking to a guy that works for a trucking company that hauls a lot of waste. He said as far as he knows they got one of, if not the highest overweight ticket in Washington state. $14,000, overweight by about 45,000. They had to park the tractor and trailer there, and bring in an excavator and another trailer and try to get it underweight. Byt the time the original trailer was legal the other trailer was 5,000 over

PSDF350

going rate for a triaxle truck around here is $90/hour, guys arent getting rich but they are staying in business.

A little off topic but i was talking to a guy that works for a trucking company that hauls a lot of waste. He said as far as he knows they got one of, if not the highest overweight ticket in Washington state. $14,000, overweight by about 45,000. They had to park the tractor and trailer there, and bring in an excavator and another trailer and try to get it underweight. Byt the time the original trailer was legal the other trailer was 5,000 over

Around here it's the log trucks going over like that.

jmac

If some one calls me to make a delivery for them 1 to 10 loads I will charge them around $90 per hour. I start the clock when I start my truck. When I am subbing out the price goes down to around $60 per hour unless I get paid by the ton or yard. No matter what kind of trucking your doing it is not as good a machine operation but I still want the option to run my truck if i have nothing else to do. For this reason I would suggest that any body buying a truck should buy one big enough that they can hire it out for gravel if nothing else. :IMO (nice new wachamacallits)

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Logging trucks are constantly overweight around here too for a legal load you need 7 axles so a tridem trailer with a tandem axle truck with a jeep or a tridrive truck with a tridem trailer. A tandem axle tractor and tandem axle trailer legally can't carry enough weight.

Being 45,000lbs overweight is inexcusable especially if the truck isn't licensed for that weight or designed for the extra weight. If you latch on a trailer that you know is overweight you refuse to pull it

PSDF350

There aint a log truck around here that dont run excessivly over. Only way to make money. Some are worse than others.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
The fines are too expensive to run overloaded not saying the trucks here are not overloaded :D

The West Coast it isn't short wood with hay rack trailers which I can see getting allot of weight on. The log trucks are paid by the cubic metre or by the hour. There isn't much logging now that requires highway hauling where I live all the logging is done in places where you need to take a boat to get to the site.

I'am not against overloading but if a truck is grossly overloaded I don't agree with that. Its dangerous you can kill yourself or somebody else if you have to overload your truck to make money means the rates are too low. There are too many people on the roads nowwadays to fool around.