• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New Truck Engines

dieseldog5.9

I have a customer looking at new class 8 trucks, up till now all of my customers have chose to keep there pre emissions trucks going, and either have E7 Macks or 3406E/C15 engines with a few N14'S for good measure.

Glider Trucks have been big here, but gliders are difficult to get now, and premision trucks are 20 years old now.

I guess at some point we are going to move into emission trucks, things have changed, looks like only certain engines are particular manufacturers, customer wants new, Likes a W800, what engine is not a POS? A buddy of mine has ISX engines with holes in the blocks lined up like cordwood. I have never seen a Paccar engine so have no clue.

Would buy a Western Star so Detroit, or Mercedes?

We have a 7600 International with an ISM, I dont think they make a more misserable truck to work on, 3/4 of the engine is under the cab, should have made it a cabover, or done like Deere Skidders and made the cab flop over to the side.

Truck Shop

The DD-13, 15 and 16 all have there issues, the big one is keeping the overheads in adjustment-Intake valves get real tight. Fuel rails leak engine oil constantly where those pass through the head.
Changing a air compressor is about as bad as it can get-located inside of left frame rail mounted to the rear structure where a starter normally would be. Compressor coolant hoses constantly leaking
at the push-lock fittings. We have had two DD-16's fracture liners and hydro lock. Filters are expensive. The DD's are not all that great. And just probably the ugliest/hardest engine to work on.
We have 63 of those DD's. And a set of injectors is a mere $6,000.00 .

dieseldog5.9

Wow, thats alot for a set of injectors. I can buy a whole running DD 12.7 for $6,000. I guess they dont make a perfect engine, but engines in the 90's where million mile engines.

Truck Shop

The Series 60 12.7 was/is the best engine made. IMO. But comparing a Series 12.7 to a DD15 is apples and oranges. The DD15 is a over designed/complicated engine.

dieseldog5.9

I am that person, worked on detroits 20 years ago, and from what I was hearing detroit was a great engine for alot of years, I was assuming it was the same, as I havent heard the horror stories on detroits that I am about the ISX engines.

AzIron

Personally I lean towards Cummins there are a ton of them out there now and yea I here horror stories but all the ones I have personally encountered with a blown motor came from bad or lack of maintenance or driver stupidity

I have never been a freightliner fan so that puts a dd out but the few I looked at were just weird looking and about as bad as working on short hood internationals that's only my opinion tho

Everyone of them have issues of some kind but I believe if you take good care of the motor they will probably outlast today's trucks

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
As I understand it the engines in Paccar are came about when they purchased DAF out of somewhere in Europe. It was part of their vertical integration strategy to keep all the parts and service business inside their own dealer networks. I don't have any other info on them.

Truck Shop

That's correct John, Detroit/Freightliner a few years back cut off outside use of their engine. If you have Kenworth with a Series 60 your up a creek with Kenworth supplying info or
parts, you give Freightliner your engine serial number and no problem. PacCar wanted their own brand to compete against the Series 60 because the 60 was killing the rest of the market.
Cummins is the only stand alone. When Cat bailed it left a deep void and Detroit stepped right in with the DD15 engine which they had been working on for quite a spell.
Freifghtliner has 33 to 35% of the truck market. The other big selling point for Freightliner is the DT12 speed automatic transmission which has put a hurt on Eaton's Autoshift.

The resale on a PacCar product powered by a PacCar engine, well it isn't too hot.

Truck Shop

The late version does not use manual clutch/no clutch pedal. The biggest problem with the Eaton Autoshift is backing up or backing under a trailer, it's kind of all or nothing.
In winter a manual transmission is still the best because you have better control on slick surface because you can feather the clutch on start out. The late automatics not so much.