• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New Toys

Gavin84w

Great thread Nige and interesting to hear your comments as always. It,s amazing what you can do in another part of the world, i worked for an international gold miner in Australia and would have been run off site to even suggest rolling dump bodies like that, we actually had some used DS bodies that turned out to be thin on the sides where that std Cat lifting lug is and they would not let us use the assembly lugs (which were the same size) on the underside of the body as the slings then had to pass 90 degrees, held a trucky up for 2 days untill i crafted an email!!

Mind you the day i saw an email come through with an attachement titled "procedure to right a procedure" that explained it all, what a pack of idiots!

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Great thread Nige and interesting to hear your comments as always. It,s amazing what you can do in another part of the world, i worked for an international gold miner in Australia and would have been run off site to even suggest rolling dump bodies like that, we actually had some used DS bodies that turned out to be thin on the sides where that std Cat lifting lug is and they would not let us use the assembly lugs (which were the same size) on the underside of the body as the slings then had to pass 90 degrees, held a trucky up for 2 days untill i crafted an email!!

Mind you the day i saw an email come through with an attachement titled "procedure to right a procedure" that explained it all, what a pack of idiots!
Gav, the thing is that if you lift the body using the 2 lugs underneath the side section (a change from what the photos on Page 2 show) it won't quite go vertical enough to roll over. What we've evolved as a procedure is to lift the body clear of the ground using those lugs so it's almost vertical then place about 40cm (8") of cribbing at 2 points under the sidewall - basically under the same places as the holes either side of the load placement arrow are located. As you let the body down slowly on to the cribbing it naturally tends to roll over and lands flat on its back. We then grab it with 4 legs using the lugs in the floor and put it where we want it in the shop. With the overhead crane it's quite simple really.

Last edited:

boone

This is my first time seeing this thread...I love finding these. Great pics and commentary Nige. I'm wondering about the rack of hose reels I see in your pictures. Are those all air, fluids and grease? I can't imagine filling some of the tanks on those machines. It'd be like filling a swimming pool.

alco

Loading with Hitachi EX3600 & Cat 994F, that's why 789s were picked. Product is gold/silver/copper.

Thanks Nige, you'd think they would have gone a bit bigger for the shovels, like a 5500.

Gavin84w

Some gold outfits will use slightly less of a hyd than is optimum for the given truck, usually to do with the orebody and having to be a little more selective in the dig following a vein of ore etc. Truck utilisation may not look fantastic sometimes but it saves on the amount you have to have if just slightly larger along with having less operators etc.

The show i was at ran 9350 Liebherr with 789C and it was a 6-7 pass match.

For all out hogging of dirt a hyd weighing twice what the truck can carry is a great starting point for match up, and slightly larger leverages even more efficiences in most cases.

Last edited:

Nige

Gav's right. All our open pit operations are basically controlled by the Geology Dept who tell the miners where to dig and how deep to go. All the prime loading tools have GPS on the buckets to give accurate location information. Full plant throughput only requires around 20,000 tonnes of ore per day but it has to be blended from many different sources in the mine to give the alchemists what they need.

EH 4000

The EX 3600-6 is a fine machine, backhoe or shovel config? At work here they're getting rid of the 3600 shovel, even though if they used it properly, it'd be one of the most productive diggers on site.

Nige

The EX 3600-6 is a fine machine, backhoe or shovel config? At work here they're getting rid of the 3600 shovel, even though if they used it properly, it'd be one of the most productive diggers on site.
We have one of each. Sorry, my experience is they're a POS. I'd drench 'em in diesel and burn the barstewards to the ground just to collect the insurance money if they were mine. ...... there are much better hydraulics around than Hitachi IMHO. When they were bought the mine was given no choice in what brand was purchased, which I think is wrong because everyone's particular circumstances are different, especially when it comes to the service provided by the local dealer who can range from tremendous to terrible.

Last edited:

EH 4000

I'll agree to disagree then, we have 3 3600s now that the shovel is off hire and they give minimal trouble and pump out good numbers. Not too bad to work on either, well set up for maintenance for the most part. Certainly easier to access that say, a Liebherr. I have no experience with Cat's repaint job on the old O&K so I won't comment on them.

Nige

The experience that has led to my comments 2 posts above has a lot to do with a combination of our geographic location and the support (or lack of it) we get from the local dealer. Hitachi factory support is completely non-existent and has been that way ever since the 2 machines arrived on site.

Last edited:

alco

Thanks Nige, I fully understand the use of a smaller machine for more selective digging. I just thought it may be more practical to use a smaller truck, like a 785, to match.

It's too bad you aren't getting any support from Hitachi. When they are maintained and supported, they are one hell of a good machine. Though, the 3600s here have been somewhat fickle. Pretty much all of the contractors run large fleets of Hitachis here......with a few minor exceptions of course.

ben46a

The 854 is a D11 on wheels. I love them.

And then some! We had a 797 come to the shop on a float one day, victim of front strut removal via bad ballstud. They yard was frozen solid and the tractor couldn't get the trailer up a slight grade to the unloading point. So they hooked up an 11 with ice lugged tracks and it wouldn't do a thing. Hooked up an 854 instead and walked that 97 up that grade and nary supn a wheel, I was mighty impressed.