• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New Toys

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Very curious how your crew gets more efficient. As you said earlier you have some very green help.
This crew has done 11 x 789C's plus a 994F, a couple of D10T's already so they are not totally green regarding assembly. Also they know how I like to work with everything done in an ordered and structured form, and keeping the workplace tidy at the same time. It's taking us a while to learn the quirks of assembling a 789D. Even I hadn't seen one before.

Also the crew are enjoying working inside the new shop out of the sun and the rain, that helps.

Bit of a setback late yesterday afternoon, one of the crane functions failed. Hopefully the electricians can get it sorted before Monday or there will need to be a rapid creation of a "Plan B".

Last edited:

buckfever

I see Loma Is moveing those beds around for you. One of there yards is in my area and some of the crains they own are very impressive. I see in your pictures that you move those beds around without tieing them down.Now i'm sure you know what your doing but if it were me I would have a few straps or chains on it just for piece of mind. But then I'm also the one that would endup haveing to figure out how to pick that thing up and put it on the trailer. That bastered murphy gets me every time.

Nige

Trucks were rented from Lomma a long time ago when construction started at the project. Now they belong to us - we paid so much in rental for them we told Lomma they are now ours ...!!!

I would normally agree with you about tying the beds down, however: -

1. We are moving them about 50 yards in total, out of one bay and back into another on a solid flat concrete floor. The simple reason we move them like this is because the crane doesn't have enough height to get a complete bed over the concrete wall between the Welding Bay & the rest of the shop.
2. If we chained one to the trailer and it went over it's going to take the truck & trailer with it. They weigh 86,000 pounds and I'd far rather have to pick up a bed off the floor than have to deal with an overturned tractor-trailer to be honest.

Really & truthfully I don't like the idea much of moving them on those trailers because they are so high and the bed is so wide compared to the trailer, but I always battle to get a lowboy, so I basically have to make use of what's available to me at the time. However in 30 days or so I will have 2 roll trailers to move them on. See photo below. Basically a 40ft long, 70-ton capacity flat deck trailer with no brakes, solid rubber wheels, and a bolt-on gooseneck at the front. These are so low I can put a bed on one and leave it on there while the welders repair it.

rolltrailer.JPG

DBarnett

Occupation
Reliability Superintendent
Hi Nige, I'm working for a company in the Pilbara in Aus, which has also recently taken delivery of a fleet of 789D's, was wondering if you have had any issues with Brake overstrokes on your's, we have seen an increasing number on our site and the local dealer is taking it's time to work it out, so any advice would be well recieved, thanks DB

Nige

Brake overstrokes on new trucks are simple. Find which master cylinder has overstroked by checking the indicator pin underneath the master cylinder (you have to do that to reset the overstroke alarm), there is 1 cylinder for the front brakes & 2 for the rear. Generally it is only either the front circuit or the rear that will be affected, seldom both. Then - bleed the brakes PROPERLY ...... bleed them until no air comes out, then bleed them some more. That'll fix it.

I think we have had issues on 2 trucks out of the 15 that the local dealer built for us, and that's 2 more than I would have liked - none out of the trucks we built ourselves. Not one of the trucks we built ourselves had isses and I like to think it's because I'm anal about bleeding brakes correctly before putting the truck to work in the first place.

Last edited:

Per Eriksson

It's a bit disturbing how often people forget to bleed or pump out the brakes after repairs have been made, you don't want to back a haul truck out of the shop and find out the pedal hits the floor the first time you try to brake.

stinkycat

Occupation
retired, disabled vet
It's a bit disturbing how often people forget to bleed or pump out the brakes after repairs have been made, you don't want to back a haul truck out of the shop and find out the pedal hits the floor the first time you try to brake.
Or backing to the edge of a high waste dump

DBarnett

Occupation
Reliability Superintendent
Thanks Nige, got one of my guy's to go through the bleeding process with the dealer guy's and looks like they were not following the full process - Not purgeing the ARC system, and when done, found some more air in the system. In the process of doing this to the few reoffending trucks and will see how that goes.
Cheers
DB

ben46a

We ran into issues on 797s where the techs weren't making sure the accumulators were fully bled, they skipped a few steps as well and that led to some hairy situations. You can't mess around with brakes!

CAT793

I prefer Power Bleeding. Use PB oil from the AETA to the test nipple on the Slack Adjuster. open the Bleeder till you get fresh,clean oil. (Also you then don't have to reset the O/S switch). If you have replaced a roto you will still have to do it at the middle.

If the Bleeding is not successful pull the WET end off the Roto and there is a slug on the end of the Rod inside the piston. This will have a 6 mm green seal that cuts. This prevents the circuit from filling and allows a O/S.

Nige

We are also finding issues where if the operator rapidly pumps the Service Brake pedal (say 5 times in a space of 10-15 seconds) the truck can generate an overstroke alarm simply becuase the rotochambers can't recover fast enough. This came up yesterday on a VIMS snapshot. Apart from bleeding the brakes again I'm going to have our Senior Operator Training guy visit with the operators again about use of service brakes.

Nige

If I get 5 mnutes I'll have to post some more pictures. We're assembling 2 more trucks at the minute and I have just been told we have 25 more to come over the next 2 years .......!! That will take us to 59 trucks, originally the final fleet size was 32.

alco

What are they loading with Nige? And what are they mining? I can't remember.