• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New To Wheel Loaders, Best Tips to Keep Machine Healthy

Rxpman18

Hey guys, got a 2007 Volvo L90F here with 15ft SAS forks for car loading. I own this equipment and I'm trying to find out the best way to keep it healthy and maintained well. Had a few questions to start and anything else would be greatly appreciated tips and tricks.

After turning off machine, should I wiggle the bucket/fork hydraulic levers to let the pressure out of the system or is it better to keep it pressurized for overnight and daily operations?

Should I let the machine fully warm up to operating temp or is it okay to let it run for 60-90 seconds and then go for it?

Is it normal to see a low brake pressure fault upon start-up but goes off about 30-45 seconds later? \

Any other tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated as this is my first loader.

skyking1

1)Set the forks down flat and neutralize all the forces before shutting down. No need or function from wiggling newer pilot controlled systems after shutdown, not sure of your 2007 loader but I fix it right before shutting down.
2)Warm up time depends on temperature. If it is reasonably warm a few minutes will do. I never "go for it"with any equipment that is not fully warmed up, but I do move equipment at part throttle after it gets a few minutes of warm up.
3) yes low brake pressure is a normal condition at startup on most loaders.
Tips: there is no reason to ever spin a tire. Just don't do it ever. The bill can be breathtaking. Your tires can be easily damaged and be sure to police the area for metal and sharp things, and inspect tires every day. Do not forget to look at the inside sidewalls.
Do not get in the habit of approaching the destination with both the load raised way up and the wheel hard over. That is the place where most tipover accidents happen, hard cranked and way up.
Plan it so you can get straight for a small bit and then raise the load close to the destination.
Come to a smooth complete stop before shifting from forward to reverse. $$ there too.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
An operation and maintenance manual is probably the best place to start. There should be a pocket in the back of the operator seat to hold it.

Rxpman18

Thanks so much guys. Definitely teaching me the ropes. I am doing a complete service now, any recommend oils for the D6E Engine?