• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New to sight, bought an 1816br1 looking for mechanical advice.

alonzo83

First hello,

My name is Alonzo I am from South East Mo. I work as a machinist/fabricator for the local ag and marine industry.
I recently came across an old case 1816b skid steer and bought it for 1,500. I figure it is an outstanding upgrade from a shovel and wheel barrow.

It does run but the old tecumseh is blowing a lot of oil.

I was wondering if anyone has upgraded to new motors and if so what kind of problems did you run into?
I found this upgrade kit, Has anyone tried it? Or am I better off sticking with a 20hp Honda and building my own adapter kit?
http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/356447-Case1816B-R1.html

On this particular machine the pumps are engaged via pulley tension, it wants to walk when it is disengaged. I am seriously thinking about replacing the system with a 12v clutch while I am replacing the motor. Is this a bad idea, or a smart move?

I am also looking at putting on an additional electric over hydraulic system that can power up a post hole digger, small tiller, snow blower ect. If any of you have recommendations on pump/motor sizing I would be grateful.

Thank you for reading,

Alonzo

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Welcome to HEF!

The Briggs Vanguard is an excellent engine, I've got two I used in my business and never had problems with them. The two cylinder Hondas have a bit of a reputation of problems, but you can't beat their single cylinders.

I don't think you'll have enough charging capacity in the alternator on that engine to run an electric pump for any length of time, you might look at running a second pump off the engine to run tools with. You probably won't be able to run accessories and move the machine at the same time with the limited horsepower though.

alonzo83

Welcome to HEF!

The Briggs Vanguard is an excellent engine, I've got two I used in my business and never had problems with them. The two cylinder Hondas have a bit of a reputation of problems, but you can't beat their single cylinders.

I don't think you'll have enough charging capacity in the alternator on that engine to run an electric pump for any length of time, you might look at running a second pump off the engine to run tools with. You probably won't be able to run accessories and move the machine at the same time with the limited horsepower though.

Thank you for the info on the engines.

You misunderstand me on the electric over hydraulic issue, I don't want to add an electric pump. I want to use electronic solenoids, like what is used on newer equipment to control the hydraulic system I want to add .

Delmer

New to sight. . .

Didn't look at the machine well enough before you bought it huh?:D

The electric solenoid is a good idea. Sounds like you can handle the little bits of an engine swap like this, but in my opinion it's worth looking into the old engine. You might find a used one in good shape on a lawn mower. I don't know that engine specifically so it could be they're all junk? I'll second Steve's good opinion of the Vangaurd engine, they've performed every bit as good as a Honda or Subaru.

alonzo83

Didn't look at the machine well enough before you bought it huh?:D

The electric solenoid is a good idea. Sounds like you can handle the little bits of an engine swap like this, but in my opinion it's worth looking into the old engine. You might find a used one in good shape on a lawn mower. I don't know that engine specifically so it could be they're all junk? I'll second Steve's good opinion of the Vangaurd engine, they've performed every bit as good as a Honda or Subaru.

I have been looking into rebuild kits for it. but I am having a helluva time finding parts for the 30 year old engine. I did find a ring kit, but I am striking out on gaskets.

I have all but talked myself out of the all in one adapter kit for the vanguard motor. I am betting that their adapter kit is a sleeve and some milled plates to bolt the motor too. Something that will take me an hour to make.

Edit, here she is in all her glory. New tires new hydraulic lines new lights, fresh paint job from a rattle can Picasso. . .
Did I do okay for 1,500?

11156364_10153260650097072_8926188007709357788_n.jpg

Last edited: