• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New Komatsu Dealer in Alaska

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
I don't know. It is nice to see someone pull the ripper tooth at the right angle so it doesn't blunt the tooth.
People think, just drop the ripper and go. Did a parking lot extention for a car dealer. They couldn't spare a hoe to cut down the shale in the cut. They dropped off our old D7G and the operator had half the day to rip and shove up the material. When I landed with the grader, there was about a truck load shoved up, and the tractor was gone. I could see the marks where he drug the tooth across the sand stone in the same direction as the layers were layed out. I had no ripper on my old 730 champion, so I backed up, put the corner of the moldboard down, went against the layers, and scraped up almost 60 tandem loads of the nicest sandstone. Would have been more cost effective if buddy had known how to rip, but I got it done.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Since we are discussing old Japanese tractors, any of you fellas remember the early D155A-1 or -2 tractors with the S6D155 engine from the 80's? Trying to remember the details. The S6D155 was fairly problematic and very difficult to start in cold weather. I think it was common practice at the time to swap them with Cummings NT855's. if I recalled, the dealer network could supply instructions and the parts needed to make the conversion. I remember, as a mechanic helper, assisting with two engine swaps.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I worked on a couple of them is all. Most common repair that I remember was getting the fire breathing dragon preheater working again. The later models were easier to get running. Ed and Jack in the Kent shop were the experts on those machines back then with Pete being the engine guy. Al Parker, the owner of Parker Pacific used to buy them up all the time, fix and work them and put them up for sale at the same time. They worked well for them because they understood how to work them. They also had all the special tools it took to fix them. I hadn't heard of a re-power. I can't believe any Cummins engine in that physical size would have the grunt that those engines had.

Coaldust

Occupation
John C.

30 years has a way of making details fuzzy. The engines used may have been a Cummins KTA of some flavor. I’m trying to find some photos. These machines were working at the Chimney Creek mine outside of Winnemucca, NV.

Komatsu kyle

View attachment 215320 Same Machine as the one above. Good ol’e KL593 of Evergreen Logging Co. August of 96. The noseeums and whitesox were eating me up. Maybe the last WA600 logger ever sold in Alaska. Had very few issues with this machine. I remember some cracking on the Forks that Young’s covered under warranty.
We have sold some new dash-8 wa600s the last couple years into Alaska and lots of dash 6 machines

IceHole

SMS equipment can likely get parts out of Canada if required. They have a big presence in Alberta.
Never heard of them. Allegedly been running 3 years now. Have yet to see their junk at a site. It's usually Craig Trailer, AER, CMI or NC Machine.

Welder Dave

SMS is a Komatsu distributor and competes directly with Finning and that includes large mining machines.

Coaldust

Occupation
Glad to see the thread bumps. Always fun to talk about Komatsu. I believe SMS is doing brick & mortar in Anchorage just for the ability to bid mine contracts. When Komatsu and SMS grow weary of bleeding money, they will high-tail it back to Canada.

The small contractor who purchased a single medium sized excavator will be screwed out of product support and warranty.

Coaldust

Occupation
How are my HEF friends doing? I haven’t been around much, lately. Been on the road, wrapping up Tank Tour 2023, Clown World.

And, getting some vaca time in. Still making a few bucks with those big trucks.

Got exciting news for 24. Will be expanding into ASTs. That’s cool.

If that diesel is drippin’, don’t be trippin’ . Give me a call. Cargo tanks big or small, we fix them all.

IceHole

It's NC Machinery here for CAT.

Komatsu stuff is quite rare and the stuff I've seen has been old so don't imagine they're selling much.
SMS is a Komatsu distributor and competes directly with Finning and that includes large mining machines.

IceHole

How are my HEF friends doing? I haven’t been around much, lately. Been on the road, wrapping up Tank Tour 2023, Clown World.

And, getting some vaca time in. Still making a few bucks with those big trucks.

Got exciting news for 24. Will be expanding into ASTs. That’s cool.

If that diesel is drippin’, don’t be trippin’ . Give me a call. Cargo tanks big or small, we fix them all.
ASTs?

Coaldust

Occupation
That’s fine. Most people believe I work on septic tanks. . Bless the people that do. Both have their hazards, I suppose.