• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New Holland Lx885... my new toy

derekbroerse

Well I ended up taking the plunge and bought a one-owner 1996 New Holland Lx885. Machine has a lot of hours but seems to be in great shape overall, pins are nice and tight too. The pumps were rebuilt a few years ago (said they were leaking) and the lift cylinders have been repacked. Good tires, presentable original paint, everything seems to work.

Only real problems seem to be a poor key switch (don't think its OEM, fits poorly and won't tighten up) and the LH side creeps. Seems they tried to adjust it themselves and made it worse... I'll take a crack at it. Also the hydraulic drives seem a little on the noisy side... everything seems to work good, just moaning about it a bit LOL.

I want to give the machine a once-over mechanically, change some oil and filters etc. I like how it uses 10w30 for just about everything... keeps it simple. I need to install a block heater as well.

Any advice, tips, tricks, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• lx885_x.jpg
    lx885_x.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 4,120

derekbroerse

hope you got it cheap.

Very, IMO, including delivery from four and a half hours away. You make it sound like a bomb :S I didn't want an expensive machine for a yard machine and salt loader, I wanted a good runner that wasn't too ugly and wasn't too loose.

Mackcat

You should not need a block heater it should have a heater built in, when it`s cold all you have to do is turn the key on and it should start counting down in the display and when it gets to zero it will beep then you start the machine.

Tom Hoffman

Just going back over old posts on the Lx885, I got one this fall and have really liked it so far. Since you have a little experience (more than me), I am curious. I am not mechanically inclined. Is it difficult to check and service the fluid levels, filters etc. I have the owner's manual, but like I said, I am not a mechanic. You mentioned 10/30 oil, is that regular engine oil or a weight for the hydraulic oil that is different blend. My machine has a couple of issues that I have not been able to address yet. The parking brake is broken and the 2 speed does not seem to work, seems to be locked in high.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tom Hoffman

ironjunkie

There a good solid machine, the only downside for me is the cab jacking deal to get "inside". Tom, the P.B. (I think) is totally mechanical, so it should be pretty straight foward to fix (other than acess, like most all machines) and the 2 sp. may just be an electrical fix, I can't comment for sure, I didn't have it on a NH, but I'd find some one that could verify that it was (stuck) in low and fix it at your leisure. If stuck in high, I'd get it fixed. If you have a dealer handy, a fluid change and appropriate (hour) service and a general once over by a NH mech. is prolly worth it, and might save you $$ in the long run and give you piece of mind.

Tom Hoffman

Ironjunkie; Thank you for the straight forward advice. I have been leaning toward taking it in to the nearest dealer to get the small things sorted out. It only has 2200 hrs on it and my last machine, I only used it 250 hours over 10 years. I am a light user by any measure. When I am gone, my sons will have it to use around the cabin when they need it.

Have a good day.

Tom...

Jeepwalker

I was very close to buying a NH skid before buying a good, used 1845c. They seem like nice machines. Congrats on your p

wrwtexan

Occupation
Indy Farm Wrench, heavy land clearing, rancher
It looks identical to my LS 180. 10W 30 hydraulic oil and 15W 40 in the engine. Two speed is electric over hydraulic right under the front of the seat. May have a broken return spring. Parking brakes are a pain to get to but can be adjusted on back right and front left on respective drive motors. Look on New Holland's website for a a complete parts breakdown. Engine is the same as the 2000 and 3000 tractors from all the way back in the sixties. Mine is a real performer with few problems and 2,500 hours.

Tom Hoffman

It looks identical to my LS 180. 10W 30 hydraulic oil and 15W 40 in the engine. Two speed is electric over hydraulic right under the front of the seat. May have a broken return spring. Parking brakes are a pain to get to but can be adjusted on back right and front left on respective drive motors. Look on New Holland's website for a a complete parts breakdown. Engine is the same as the 2000 and 3000 tractors from all the way back in the sixties. Mine is a real performer with few problems and 2,500 hours.

Thanks you, I will look into it on NH web site. I have found the machine to be very reliable, we are having a very mild winter, and have only had 3 occasions to use it to get ride of snow on the driveway and roat to the highway, but it has always started and done the job well.

Tom...