• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New guy from upsate NY

jmac

I have been reading threads on here all winter long and guys seem like a nice bunch of guys with lots of free advise ( hard to find). I was a independent manufacturers rep with my own agency selling building materials to Home Depots for the first 20 years. That started to look little iffy, Home Depot is killing everybody in that line of work just like Wal-Mart have been doing for years. About 4 years ago decided to buy a new LS160 skid and new dump trailer and new F350 and start doing side jobs. Well I must of found something that I really liked to do because now I have given up the sales agency doing this full time. I realized in a very short time that what I had for equipment was not going to be enough ( my wife loves this part) and had to buy more stuff. Purchased a used Bobcat 331 and 98' GMC 6500 dump truck. Traded dump trailer for a used eager beaver. Today we have that equipment and a Hitachi EX60, 2001 Deer 450HLT with cab dozer, Case 70" single drum roller, Bobcat power rake, auger, forks, tampers, saws and new 24k tag Trailer. I have lots of payment books but always seem to find the work, money to keep it going. What I have found out to be true is that I need to do at least a couple of bigger site work jobs and fill in the rest with residential. The site work you do for GC's is bigger money but harder to get money. The residential pay when your done. Insurance is amazingly costly and just moving equipment is very expensive. I love it so far and I am hoping for big growth again this year, it is looking good. I love a challenge and this line of work is all that. The best part of the business is doing the operating the worst is collecting the money.

John

Jeff D.

Welcome John,

Your story would mirror alot of others here too,I bet.It sure is nice to have a job that you don't hate,isn't it?I find it much easier to put the "extra effort" into my job,when I reap the rewards,rather than giving it too "the man"(who ever this guy is).

As far as everyone being nice and helpful here,I agree!!They haven't chased me off yet........suprisingly.:rolleyes:

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums!!:drinkup

Take a look around and jump in wherever you like! I'm glad you've joined us.

What part of NY are in?

jmac

I live in the Utica area and work in a 25 mile radius of that. I plow snow in the winter and found this site on plowsite.

rino1494

Welcome to the site :thumbsup

Hey, by chance, you wouldn't know of any small engine repair shops in the Utica area that sell old motorcycle parts too ???

farmerted44

Occupation
heavy equipment operator
welcome,
sounds like you have great business going. good luck in the future! looking forward to your comments.

jmac

Thank you!!

I hope so, nothing is easy as most of you guys can agree, but hard work and a little luck and things should be fine. The biggest encouragement I see is the growth from year to year!!
I like work, simple as that!!