• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New from Central Jersey

Digger293

Occupation
On disability right now but hoping to get a job op
Hello all, my name is Don....I stumbled onto this forum while looking at walking excavators and I think it's great find. I wanted to be a heavy equipment operator since I was about five years old. So in 1970 when I turned 18 I joined the army and got assigned to an Engineer unit. Unfortunately I was never formally trained at Fort Leonard Wood in Missouri, I received OJT instead. I didn't care at the time because I was given the opportunity to operate heavy construction equipment. I learned most of what I know from union operators who were drafted. However, that was only when they were in the mood to teach or give advice. Still, they were a bunch of good guys. I got out in 1974 and attempted to apply for the Local 825 Operating Engineer's Union but was not even allowed an application because I was not a minority. "Affirmative Action" was the reason. Hell, I thought joining the Army in 1970 automatically made me a minority but they didn't see it that way...Anyway I went into another field where I retired after 25 years. After being retired for 6 months I decided to see if I could get a job as an operator. I got a job operating a Terex scraper and moved to Dozers and then excavators. I had to leave 5 years later do to back problems. After being out for three years I'm going to attempt to go back this spring. I hope I can get in somewhere I really miss it. Well, I guess I'm getting a little long winded so I'll close. I look forward to reading everyone's treads and hope I can pick everyone's brain for tips and advice.......Digger293

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to HEF Digger293! :drinkup

On Edit: I gotta type faster......Steve. :D

TRACKHOE71

Occupation
OPERATOR
Welcome digger glad to have you abord!:usa
Are you gunna try and get back in with local 825, im currently working in NJ right now for a company, that does site and pipe work.

Last edited:

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Did you meet a guy named "Truckie" yesterday???:D
Ron G

Digger293

Occupation
On disability right now but hoping to get a job op
No, won't do it

No, I won't take a shot at Local 825 again.....I tried again in '02 and they weren't interested....I went over to Dayton and took the field test and thought I did well.....I was pissed because I wasted a day. I think they had no intention of giving me a permit right from the start. I'm getting to old to play that game...Digger293