• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New Cat engines

Truck Shop

Supposedly Cat is making new replacement engines, because of shortage of rebuildable engines.
3406E, C15, and the Acert, will also take Cummins and Detroit cores with a cost for repower.
But has to be what came in truck as year for emissions. Cannot put a C15 where a Acert was.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
These are not remans-new block, new head, new crank.
It's called Reman UTN (Upgrade to New). RUTN has been available at a premium price above normal Reman on components such as blocks, cranks, heads, camshafts, etc (and probably a shed-load of others) for a while now.

It also partially addresses the issue of Damaged Cores that have to be scrapped. In days gone by every component in the Reman programme always had a certain percentage of new parts in it to replace returned Cores that were scrapped. So buy a Reman cylinder head (for example) and despite the fact the Part Number is 0R-xxxx what was in the box could easily be brand-new. Now with RUTN the box with the new component in it can command a premium above the normal Reman price.

https://s7d2.scene7.com/is/content/Caterpillar/CM20211007-ff591-8e1cf

Last edited:

Truck Shop

I realize this is just a video-so don't everyone pull out your banjo and pick away at it. Now it is classified
as a reman probably to satisfy government regs sold as a reman-with new block, head, crank. Which
is not a reman. But When WAS The Last Time Cat Took A Cummins or Detroit as a Core? NEVER.

And For Some Reason I Don't Think It's Been For A While Now.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
We have been doing this with small diesels for years. Some places want the core back, others want a picture of the core destroyed. I found out the hard way they want the core back with all the accessories the new engine had on it, had to swap the new bell housing, flywheel, manifolds etc. onto the old block to send back and be destroyed, that's the way they wanted it, had to send a guy sheepishly with a truckload of parts after we returned the core.

Welder Dave

Even with the program they had to get people into newer vehicles the dealers had to send the old vehicles to the crusher. It was sad, there were some very desirable old trucks and cars and even parts that people would have wanted. My friend works at a Ford dealer and said a farmer traded a cherry low mileage truck in from about 1972. It was basically rust free and ran great. He thought the $2400 guaranteed trade in on a new vehicle was a good deal. He could have sold it to someone private for twice that. Instead it had to be destroyed.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Even with the program they had to get people into newer vehicles the dealers had to send the old vehicles to the crusher. It was sad, there were some very desirable old trucks and cars and even parts that people would have wanted. My friend works at a Ford dealer and said a farmer traded a cherry low mileage truck in from about 1972. It was basically rust free and ran great. He thought the $2400 guaranteed trade in on a new vehicle was a good deal. He could have sold it to someone private for twice that. Instead it had to be destroyed.
Could easily have gotten 3-4x that selling privately. I know I'd pay that if it was rust free.

chidog

Yes, and actually he got nothing for it. Car dealer prices are setup so they lose nothing on a sale like that. I was told one time that as soon as the sales person hears trade in the selling price then jumps up to cover it. And yeah this was years ago before a chip shortage.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Yes, and actually he got nothing for it. Car dealer prices are setup so they lose nothing on a sale like that. I was told one time that as soon as the sales person hears trade in the selling price then jumps up to cover it. And yeah this was years ago before a chip shortage.
I believe it. Caught them off-guard one time. Guy started rattling off financing rates and payments. When I asked the out the door cash price you could see the gears start spinning lol.

Welder Dave

The program gave the money towards the new vehicle so the dealership wouldn't lose any money. The dealership had to make sure the vehicles were destroyed so the owner or dealer couldn't double dip.
Some buyer advisors suggest making a deal and not mentioning a trade until the very end. Then the sales people and the dealership are in a bind.

Reactions: JPV

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I believe it. Caught them off-guard one time. Guy started rattling off financing rates and payments. When I asked the out the door cash price you could see the gears start spinning lol.

The way I have seen it, if they know you are cash the price jumps for that also. Rather you get them all wound up with the financing package, then point to the bottom line for the car and say, OK I will just pay cash on that amount and forget the financing.

Truck Shop

Or-let them run the figures-Then it's a cash sale plus this is what I want for trade in. Fallowed by {Either you
want to sell a car today or you don't as you head out the door} that's how I handle it.

suladas

Anytime I buy if I have a trade I say i'm undecided if I will trade it in give me the price on the new one and the trade value and I will decide after, also when they try the payment BS I say I was an OTD price the payment means nothing. I had one shady dealership offer me a payment, term, and interest rate I ran it to figure out the price and the numbers seemed really fair right away, then when I did some questioning, they weren't including the roughly $20k I owed on my trade and would tack that onto the payment. So shady most of them would steal from their own mother to make a buck.