• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Needing help in finding information.

Hi Guy's,
Can anyone tell where I can obtain any information or a workshop manual on a Kato 880 SE excavator?
I have contacted Kato works in Japan, they referred me to the dealers in Australia and they respond with that's an old machine and have no real information or schematics on file.
To me this seems crazy and would not be the case if it was an old Cat.
So I'm here hoping someone maybe able to point me in the right direction.
part_1550550303407-jpeg.193270

Thanks for reading and have a great day.
Trev

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day Trev
I guess sometimes you have to ecocide defeat and think outside the box, may I suggest you take photos of the valve chest tank where the hose's connect. Look for a manufactures label on the valve block. If you post that information to us we will try to help.
Kind regards
Uffex

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
All I can say is good luck on that. There were only a few to hit the States and their reputation of bad engineering, no trained service people and almost no parts support killed the line fast. The response from your dealers was typical of dealers here when they were new.

Good day Trev
I guess sometimes you have to ecocide defeat and think outside the box, may I suggest you take photos of the valve chest tank where the hose's connect. Look for a manufactures label on the valve block. If you post that information to us we will try to help.
Kind regards
Uffex
Thanks Uffex,
Thinking outside of the box sounds good, here is a pic I have I will get some more and check for a name but that will be next week as the machine is in the country side.
Cheers,
Trev

Attachments

• IMG20190214134220.jpg
    IMG20190214134220.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 17
All I can say is good luck on that. There were only a few to hit the States and their reputation of bad engineering, no trained service people and almost no parts support killed the line fast. The response from your dealers was typical of dealers here when they were new.
Kato had a large market in Australia and New Zealand in the 70's and 80's with quality machines, So I have been told but that was then and they only seem to care about selling new products, which has done them a disservice.
So here I am.

Good day Trev
Kind regards
Uffex
Another pic but can't make out any names, so will get more next week and thanks

Attachments

• IMG20190214133414.jpg
    IMG20190214133414.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 13

rocknrabbit

G`day Trev. They were a popular brand once. When excavators first came to these parts, they were known as "katos", that still persists, despite their being few working examples left! I am sitting here looking at 2 Kato service manuals, HD-1220 SE and HD-770 SE11. These are in my office, because they are helpful for my HD-1220 SE11. I will look, there is a small chance I have what you are looking for.

G`day Trev. They were a popular brand once. When excavators first came to these parts, they were known as "katos", that still persists, despite their being few working examples left! I am sitting here looking at 2 Kato service manuals, HD-1220 SE and HD-770 SE11. These are in my office, because they are helpful for my HD-1220 SE11. I will look, there is a small chance I have what you are looking for.
G'day Rabbit,
Thanks for that.
Here is a question for you what years are the 2 machines you mentioned?
I have been told some Kato models were interchangeable with parts, if this is correct it makes looking for things maybe easier if I knew what models shared what.
I will be going back out to the machine next week and will get as much info as I can from the parts on it.
Cheers

rocknrabbit

I have been told some Kato models were interchangeable with parts,
I wouldn't get too excited on that point!
For instance, I was told when offered a going 1220 SE for scrap value "it will all fit your 1220 SE11 no worries" . All major componentry DIFFERENT, even major cab size change and track link count. If any similarities, these Katos seem to carry same style (but different size) pumps, slew and track motors across the same series
Anyway, I don't have any 880 SE information, but have service manual for 800 SEV(1987), instruction manual for SE11 series, includes HD 700, 770, 880 and 1220 (1984).
I think information from the 1220SE service manual (1981) I have, would be the closest thing for any help I could offer.
Where abouts in SA are you. The Kato site looks like Burra?

Anyway, I don't have any 880 SE information, but have service manual for 800 SEV(1987), instruction manual for SE11 series, includes HD 700, 770, 880 and 1220 (1984).
I think information from the 1220SE service manual (1981) I have, would be the closest thing for any help I could offer.
Where abouts in SA are you. The Kato site looks like Burra?[/QUOTE]
Any chance of a scan of the instruction manual?
Not in Burra it's South of Adelaide in Willunga which is on the way to Victor Harbour, My place is in Black hill which is the other side of Cambrai, but that shot does look like Burra.
Are you a farmer? just curious with the reference to Burra.
I will take notes next week and see if any matches your manual.
Cheers

Last edited: