• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need help from the truck alignment twisted frame gurus

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
IMG_20180513_134010714.jpg IMG_20180513_134023473.jpg IMG_20180513_134100934.jpg

This is it, Done! Eventually dedided the easiest way was to torch the rear hitch steel off the frame, straighten everything out, and re-install some new steel. Time will tell whether the alignment is an issue.

watglen

Occupation
Looks like the project turned out great watglen !
Yep, I think it will do. Its about 5" taller to the fifth wheel than the old one, but the float can use the room underneath. An I am really glad to be moving up to modern wheels. No more wheel slippage ripping off the valve stems.
Should be good.

crane operator

Looks nice watglen.

Just because I'm curious, what's the regs like in ontario for a rig like this? You've got a 50 ton detach- so the trailer is around 18,000lbs empty. Then a 40 ton excavator, 6,000lbs of "joe dog", and then whatever you're pulling it with. I'm guessing you pull it with a big 4wd tractor? So a 40-50,000lb tractor or so?

So you're running around at 100-110,000 or so gross?

I haul a real similar gross with my lowboy and have to buy one way daily travel permits in missouri. I'm not sure what a farming entity would have to do, I know its in the regulations for osow book, and if I remember right they are exempt.

I'm also guessing you cage all the brakes?

Probably if your a farmer then you don't have to buy any permits and that would make life a lot easier, and if you have the tractor anyways, it utilizes another piece of equipment.

Do you then use the tractor hydraulics to run your detach? or is it a mechanical detach?

watglen

Occupation
Looks nice watglen.

Just because I'm curious, what's the regs like in ontario for a rig like this? You've got a 50 ton detach- so the trailer is around 18,000lbs empty. Then a 40 ton excavator, 6,000lbs of "joe dog", and then whatever you're pulling it with. I'm guessing you pull it with a big 4wd tractor? So a 40-50,000lb tractor or so?

So you're running around at 100-110,000 or so gross?

I haul a real similar gross with my lowboy and have to buy one way daily travel permits in missouri. I'm not sure what a farming entity would have to do, I know its in the regulations for osow book, and if I remember right they are exempt.

I'm also guessing you cage all the brakes?

Probably if your a farmer then you don't have to buy any permits and that would make life a lot easier, and if you have the tractor anyways, it utilizes another piece of equipment.

Do you then use the tractor hydraulics to run your detach? or is it a mechanical detach?
Everything you have here is right. Slow moving sign, a good number of flashers and you are off to the races.
Around here hills are pretty rare so its safe enough.
One nice thing is the I can pull right into the farm. Saves tearing up the road with heavy cleats.
And half load season doesn't apply. And safeties aren't needed. And licenses, and permits, and and and
What you can't do is head into a urban area. You will get pulled over if you pull a stunt like that. But out here in farm country, I can travel an hour and not pass another vehicle on the back roads.

One thing I will say is everyone you talk to gets all excited about the brakes. For people not familiar with modern IMG_20180409_142057674.jpg farm tractor brakes, they are really strong. And they don't fade under load. In fact, if you really stand on them, you can lock up 8 big tires on dry pavement (i've done it unintentionally)

I've also done an experiment where I drove on flat pavement at 25 mph, and stopped in the length of the rig with only the tractor brakes applied. That was with about 60,000 pounds on the float. To be more specific, at full speed, when your tractor front axle passes a mailbox on dry pavement, you will be stopped before the back of the trailer passes the mailbox.

The safety all comes from the fact that top speed is 25 mph. At 75 mph you have 9 times the energy rolling down the road as you do at 25. For that you would want some serious brakes.
At 25 mph, there hubs stay cold, the tires stay cold. We've been switching over to recaps from take offs, to give anyone who cares to inspect, a better feeling inside.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Almost the same here for AG, we have neighbors that road equipment and others that have side board equipped low boys and haul oversize but for FARM use and the DOT or MSHP turn a blind eye. Just have plenty of signage, slow moving vehicle triangles and LIGHTS EVERYWHERE! flashers, zip light bars, LED rolling warning lights any and all the above as there are few set requirements. Worst I have seen was a fourteen foot dual wheeled Deere Combine two wheels in the ditch the other two straddling the center line and me in the Pete loaded, gets a taste interesting for a short time.