• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need engine for D8N. Is the dozer version special ?

Someguy

If you look to the left, you'll see that I'm from Canada. I'm not aware of any off road engine emission rules up here.

I think we've got a replacement machine to finish the current job. I think we are going to find a new block and rebuild our current engine.

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
You can repower your machine with a 3406E. You would need a 263-5497 conversion kit minus the 256-7539 engine. You would have to convert your donor engine to the 256-7539 spec.

The 263-5497 comprises (briefly) new fan, fan drive, belt tensioner, decel pedal, hyd cooler, engine enclosure, radiator, various tubes and lines.

This would take you to tier 2 emissions standard.

I know you say its easy, :) when you have the experience and access to the info, but that is still some impressive info in my opinion. :notworthy :drinkup

special tool

The reason why I don't mind so much doing this stuff is that Cat have [B said:
documented their machines[/B] so well that with time and access to the information and a few years experience, it's not so hard to do. This is also the reason why, IMO, they are leaders in their field. No disrespect to (for example) Komatsu, but just try to get the same level of information from them.

I agree

Cmark

Hey Someguy

1169238 Isn't a valid arrangement number as far as I can see. Can you check this?

Someguy

Hey Someguy

1169238 Isn't a valid arrangement number as far as I can see. Can you check this?

That is the second half of the engine serial number, not the arrangement number. ie 3ZJ1169238 I don't have an arrangement number for it.

There might be 1 too many 1s at the start. It might be 3ZJ169238

I've got access to a Cat parts system now. They have 3 serial number divisions for 3ZJ engines.

3406B Truck Engine 3ZJ00001-16181
3406C Truck Engine 3ZJ16182-60112
3406C Truck Engine 3ZJ60113-UP

Either way, this engine would be in the 3rd group.

Thanks.

Cmark

The srerial numbers have 5 digits in the suffix, so are we calling it 3ZJ16923 or 3ZJ69238?

Someguy

The srerial numbers have 5 digits in the suffix, so are we calling it 3ZJ16923 or 3ZJ69238?

I honestly can't say. It could be either. It took a week to get that much information on the engine. They were pretty sure it started with a 1, so it must be 3ZJ16923. They must have doubled up the 3 and the 8 ?

Finding a replacement engine for this thing was a big headache. If this engine works, it will have turned out OK. Our engine is on the way to the engine builder that did this engine right now. They are saying that this engine won't be compatible at all with our engine. I agree with you and think it will be, after we change the flywheel housing, etc.

Cat part numbers are very confusing, at least to me. I spent a lot of time looking at what it was going to take to put a 3406E into our machine. Cat lists the starter, alternator, radiator, fan drive, etc. The 3406E we were looking at didn't come with those components and we couldn't figure out if our components would fit or not, so we backed off. The radiator was the killer.

Anyway... enough of my blabbing...

Do you think the 3ZJ engine will work ?

Thanks

surfer-joe

If your powers that be want a fast and complete replacement, I'd recommend that you contact a couple of different Cat houses and ask for their pricing on the exact engine you need. Funny as it may seem, there are tons of things different on all Cat products from one to another, even on things that, to the naked eye, look identical. Worst of it is that some of the differences do not become apparent until right up to the last minute as you begin bolting on the last items and they don’t fit right. That's when you slap yourself and say, "why did I do this to myself?" Been there and done that.

Your best bet for a fast and relatively easy job would be an complete exchange engine in the crate. That gives you a decent warranty and it is guaranteed to bolt up. But for an early serial number machine like yours, there may also be some good used take-out engines available. I don't know if those would be in your immediate area. You can look in Machinery Trader, Rock & Dirt, or My Little Salesman for those however. Your local Cat house can also help you look for a running take out, might even find one with a thirty day warranty. There may be some freight involved and it may take some time to arrive.

Having your dealer do a complete rebuild with a new or exchange block is also a good option. Warranty is usually not so good. But, the engine will bolt up and operate correctly. Make sure they do a dyno test!

A lot depends on the shape the tractor is in and how much longer you intend to keep it. That makes the cost of the engine replacement come into focus.

As I mentioned, swapping engines of the same basic model sounds like it ought to be easy, but it's rare to find two alike unless they are in exactly the same serial and arrangement number range. Actually, the arrangement number is the more important of the two with Cat. I've done a couple that worked out OK, they were on smaller Deere Equipment. I tried it on a couple of International loaders with bad results. I looked at doing it with some Cat machines, and in fact worked on one 651 that had it's D346 swapped out for a 12V71 Detroit. That was very costly and it never worked very well. Even trying to swap a newer arrangement number component into an older arrangement tractor is often not feasible even though the tractor serial numbers are only off by one or two digits.

Good luck in your quest!

Someguy

If your powers that be want a fast and complete replacement, I'd recommend that you contact a couple of different Cat houses and ask for their pricing on the exact engine you need.

Thanks for the advice, but it isn't quite that simple. The arrangement used in a D8N is kind of rare, at least as far as replacement engines go. We were able to find 1 engine of the correct arrangement in all of North America. They wanted about US$22K for it, plus our core. And it would have taken a week or so to complete and dyno. And the warranty was only so so.

The thing that broke that deal was shipping. It was down in Texas and we are in Canada. We'd have to pay shipping both ways, plus getting two blocks over the border, etc.

Funny as it may seem, there are tons of things different on all Cat products from one to another, even on things that, to the naked eye, look identical. Worst of it is that some of the differences do not become apparent until right up to the last minute as you begin bolting on the last items and they don’t fit right. That's when you slap yourself and say, "why did I do this to myself?" Been there and done that.

Well... it turns out that unless you hire someone and pay them some pretty big bucks to take care of it for you, it pays to do this yourself. It would be nice to just swing by a Cat dealer and pick up a replacement engine, but money doesn't grow on trees.

It turned out that they got the job done without using this dozer, so it wasn't a huge rush anymore.

Your best bet for a fast and relatively easy job would be an complete exchange engine in the crate. That gives you a decent warranty and it is guaranteed to bolt up.

Have you priced out a genuine Cat "crate" long block with turbo, fuel pump, water pump, oil cooler and oil pump lately ?

But for an early serial number machine like yours, there may also be some good used take-out engines available.

Our engine didn't have a ton of hours on it and it failed. Rebuilders told us they see it quite frequently on the 3406C. The suspected culprit is that one of the pistons lost oil cooling and seized. Apparently there has been a change up on the newer blocks and the truck engines so that this doesn't happen. The rest of the dozer is in good shape. We want a good engine for it. We did not want a "take out".

I don't know if those would be in your immediate area. You can look in Machinery Trader, Rock & Dirt, or My Little Salesman for those however. Your local Cat house can also help you look for a running take out, might even find one with a thirty day warranty. There may be some freight involved and it may take some time to arrive.

We looked at all these options. We are either going to use the 3ZJ engine or rebuild ours.

Having your dealer do a complete rebuild with a new or exchange block is also a good option. Warranty is usually not so good. But, the engine will bolt up and operate correctly. Make sure they do a dyno test!

Shop time at a Cat dealer is extremely expensive up here. $200/hour. We were going to get the 3406E dynoed and have the power checked. It needed to be turned down. They wanted $2,000 just to do that. Can you imagine what it would cost to have an entire engine rebuilt and dyno'd at those rates ?

We found a good engine rebuilder. They are local and they have done lots of 3406s. We'll be working with them.

As I mentioned, swapping engines of the same basic model sounds like it ought to be easy, but it's rare to find two alike unless they are in exactly the same serial and arrangement number range.

Yes and no. Most of the time the arrangement numbers refer to the accessories hung on a standard block with a pretty standard cylinder and piston kit in them. Details like cams and stuff vary, but not as much as you'd think. What does vary is the fuel pump settings, injectors, bell housings, especially on industrial engines, front drives, etc.

It seems like as long as you stay in the same engine family, ie 3406C with the same block, a lot can be made to work. With the 3ZJ, I think the block, pistons, cylinders, heads, crank, oil pump, etc. should be fine. I'm not sure about the front drive and the pan. We'll have to put on our intake and exhaust manifolds, fuel pump, flywheel housing and flywheel. No big deal, as long as it fits.

With the 3406E, it was a different story. The bellhousing and such were fine. But according to Cat it needed a different starter, alternator, rad, fan drive, etc. We couldn't find those parts used and they were very expensive to buy new.

The 3ZJ engine is in the middle of a complete rebuild. We got it at a decent price and if it works, we'll have a completely rebuilt engine for our dozer.

Actually, the arrangement number is the more important of the two with Cat. I've done a couple that worked out OK, they were on smaller Deere Equipment. I tried it on a couple of International loaders with bad results. I looked at doing it with some Cat machines, and in fact worked on one 651 that had it's D346 swapped out for a 12V71 Detroit. That was very costly and it never worked very well. Even trying to swap a newer arrangement number component into an older arrangement tractor is often not feasible even though the tractor serial numbers are only off by one or two digits.

I've done one engine swap and people in my family have done several, all with Cummins engines. They've worked out very well. I briefly considered putting an N14 or ISX into this dozer, but that is where it ended. Engine swaps take more fabrication than anything.

Good luck in your quest!

I'll let you know how we make out so that we can all learn something from this.

BTW: I am very disappointed that we had this issue at all. I think its unacceptable for a modern engine to fail like this. I could understand the engine had lots of hours on it and it needed a rebuild or something. But the piston seized and it threw a rod and busted the block. That is an entirely different story.

Last edited:

Cmark

OK. This is looking pretty close. 3ZJ16923 would be a 4P1224 arrangement. Both this and your 70V25173. Arr 4W9497 have the same;

8N9267 cylinder block group
4W2436 cylinder head group
7W3798 camshaft group

I would go with this and get yourself a Cat reman crank and cylinder packs.

Your FIP would have to be rebuilt to your 4W9497 arr, which is 0T6736.

And you would obviously have to reuse all the ancilliaries off your old engine.

Good luck.

Someguy

OK. This is looking pretty close. 3ZJ16923 would be a 4P1224 arrangement. Both this and your 70V25173. Arr 4W9497 have the same;

8N9267 cylinder block group
4W2436 cylinder head group
7W3798 camshaft group

Yeah ! I'm not delusional.

I would go with this and get yourself a Cat reman crank and cylinder packs.

They were in the midst of rebuilding this engine and have already rebuilt the block, crank and cylinders. Our timing was perfect.

Your FIP would have to be rebuilt to your 4W9497 arr, which is 0T6736.
The fuel pump was just rebuilt. All we need to do is get a replacement governor drive, which this shop says they already have.

And you would obviously have to reuse all the ancilliaries off your old engine.

Yes... and they are taking the Jake brake off their engine... needed to swap out the rocker arms for that, but they are happy to do it.

Good luck.

I'll keep you informed. You've been a tremendous help. Let me know if I can ever do something to return the favor.

surfer-joe

Failure in modern engines is pretty common for a variety of reasons. Bad metallurgy, bad machine work, mistakes in parts and component assembly, bad fuel, coolant leaks, any number of things and they can happen any time. You eyeball stuff, take and analyze fluid samples, listen to operator complaints and comments, watch, smell, and listen to the machine work, and breakdowns still happen. This doesn’t take into account operator abuse or mishandling.

Concerning engine blocks, as Cmark mentions, as long as the arrangement number is the same, you should be alright. What happens if they don’t, and I forgot to mention it before, is that if they are different, than sometimes the little casting bosses, studs, and threaded holes for mounting components and attachments are positioned wrong, or don’t exist. That’s why I did mention that sometimes you don’t notice the difference right up till you are bolting the last items on and find they don’t fit or there isn’t any place to put them. Then what?

I also mentioned that cost depends on where you are and how badly one needs the machine. Caterpillar does not stock components in the quantities they used to in their depots. Their stocking arrangements always followed machine populations and in older times, they usually had to ship by truck. Now a lot travels by air freight. I know some about getting stuff across the Canadian border, I made several trips over it last year and if your paperwork thorough your broker wasn’t correct, you were going nowhere. Now a days, there are other considerations on components like engines where they have to meet emission standards in one country or the other. That one is getting pretty bad.

Not long ago a cement plant near Bakersfield, California had the front axle assembly go bad in a very new 988G loader. Rebuilding it by the dealer a couple of times did not help, it kept breaking. The customer was getting mighty upset so there was only one thing to do, bring in a complete exchange axle assembly. Guess where it was? Singapore. Yep, cost a fortune to get it back to the states (air freight), but it solved the problem and the customer was at least mollified. Cat, of course, picked up most of the tab along with the dealer.

Point is, while you can take time, if you have it, to search around for a while to find the cheapest cost part or component, that’s fine, but at the same time you are losing production from that down machine. If the unit that is busted is your prime mover, than there are likely other machines down too with more lost production. The project schedule becomes affected, and up where you are, the construction dirt season is mighty short. So you weigh all the alternatives and take your best shot, and spend the best money you have to get things moving again.

There are good non-OEM engine builders, and some not so good. Some will use non-OEM parts if they want or if you allow it. Some folks get by on that, I’ve had not so good luck that way. Warranties are also sometimes a problem, read the fine print closely.

Any way you look at it, owning and operating large heavy equipment is not for the faint hearted or those with a small wallet. I hope things work out for you.

Someguy

Concerning engine blocks, as Cmark mentions, as long as the arrangement number is the same, you should be alright.

I think you misread his post. The arrangement numbers on these two engines are very dissimilar. The dozer engine arrangement number is 4W9497. The 3ZJ engine has an arrangement number of 4P1224.

The 3ZJ engine is an intercooled 425HP truck engine with a compressor mount, Jake brake and a regular flywheel and bellhousing.

The dozer engine is non intercooled, non aftercooled 285HP industrial engine. It has a special flywheel that fits the torque converter and a special flywheel housing and a special fuel pump governor drive.

It just so happens that the block, head, cam and piston and cylinder groups are the same between them. One engine can be turned into the other by swapping the parts that differ between the arrangement numbers.

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Yeah ! I'm not delusional.

I'll keep you informed. You've been a tremendous help. Let me know if I can ever do something to return the favor.

PM him, get his bosses name and get that man a raise :notworthy

It just so happens that the block, head, cam and piston and cylinder groups are the same between them. One engine can be turned into the other by swapping the parts that differ between the arrangement numbers.

That has to be the most understated comment I have read in a very long time :D

Good luck and keep us informed :thumbsup

D8n engine rebuilt

So I pulled the engine out of my D8n and turns out it spun the bearings so I was looking around for another motor but not really sure what options of 3406’s I’d be able to drop in and what it would all entail here is the arrengment numbers for the cat IMG_1473.png

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Diesel Engine Trader is one source of engines and engine suppliers and reconditioners.

You can do an "Advanced Search" on the site to narrow down what you're looking for.