• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need Another Off Road Truck

crane operator

Dirt conditions need to be right to move dirt well with a scraper (self load). We've got way too much rock by me for scrapers. If you've got super wet conditions- which it sounds like if you are pumping/ drying it out before you move dirt, I don't think self loading a scraper is going to go well. Likely you will just bury the scraper in the muck. But you could easily pull the bowl up by the excavator and load, and then haul off and level as you unload.

We rarely see 2 axle off road dumps. Mostly I see the three axle off road articulating dump trucks. Usually cat, deere or volvo in my area, never see the terex ones by me. I believe the john deere are, or at one time were the same as a Bell.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Dirt conditions need to be right to move dirt well with a scraper (self load). We've got way too much rock by me for scrapers. If you've got super wet conditions- which it sounds like if you are pumping/ drying it out before you move dirt, I don't think self loading a scraper is going to go well. Likely you will just bury the scraper in the muck. But you could easily pull the bowl up by the excavator and load, and then haul off and level as you unload.

We rarely see 2 axle off road dumps. Mostly I see the three axle off road articulating dump trucks. Usually cat, deere or volvo in my area, never see the terex ones by me. I believe the john deere are, or at one time were the same as a Bell.

Tones

Occupation

That why I suggested removing the elevator, fitting a fixed apron and loading with the excavator.

Philip S King

Occupation
GC, BC, Mechanical , Electrical, Utilities
You think that would be cheaper than buying an articulating dump? Cheaper to buy and more efficient because i can spread better than a dump. I sure appreciate all of the feed back and advice. How about transporting from purchase site? Thanks.

Philip S King

Occupation
Dirt conditions need to be right to move dirt well with a scraper (self load). We've got way too much rock by me for scrapers. If you've got super wet conditions- which it sounds like if you are pumping/ drying it out before you move dirt, I don't think self loading a scraper is going to go well. Likely you will just bury the scraper in the muck. But you could easily pull the bowl up by the excavator and load, and then haul off and level as

Just went through our dryist time of year. Each hurricane brought us rain in North Alabama, Unfortunantly we had several this year. I am fortunate that rock has not been an issue. Although my varying soil types and water content is a challenge. I have a 3 to 5' dark soil with moderate moisture that is packing well. Followed by a lighter tan material that is much wetter clay and sand. If i mix in too much of the wetter material it will pump and must dry considerably. This wetyeetter material sticks to my bed and in the excavator bucket.

Tones

Occupation
You think that would be cheaper than buying an articulating dump? Cheaper to buy and more efficient because i can spread better than a dump. I sure appreciate all of the feed back and advice. How about transporting from purchase site? Thanks.
There dimensions are approximately the same for road haulage. The only down side is they are 2 wheel drive but with some job planning that came be overcome. The upside is the elevator can be refitted and used for original purpose as a self loading pan. BTW what I'm suggesting I have been involved with before where it worked a treat so it's not the beers talking:D
As for purchase cost I have no idea, ( I live in Australia) but over the ground per cubic yards carted and spread it'll beat a dump truck any day provided the job is set out right.

Last edited:

Philip S King

Occupation
Hmmm thinking about it. Here things seem to have shifted to 40 yard Articulated Dumps. Not sure what the pans are hauling.

DB2

F3F07B90-5803-4C6D-9B68-639C0E70AD61.png
According to RB spec she’s only about 11 yards heaped. The spec for the C model didn’t have the capacity. Would be more with the elevator removed I suspect.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Traction is another consideration between pans and artics. Artics will pull out of a hole in slick or soft ground a whole lot better than pans. Artics are also a whole lot easier to sell if needed when the job it done.

ETMF 58 White

There are plenty of Volvo A25C’s and A30C’s still around and they are excellent trucks. You can pick one up for less than $30,000 but you’ll have to put a few tires on it probably. But if you buy one and fix it up, you’ll have something that can do your job when you need it, then sit around costing very little until you need it again.

The problem I see in the project you are describing is that you need two or three of them to keep production going on the days you can haul. A 75,000 lb excavator can load a lot of dirt in a day if you’ve got enough trucks to stay under the bucket, along with a good dozer operator to keep it spread on the other end. But if you’re going to work through the winter, artic trucks are the only way I know to do it. If you’re willing to accept low production, you and a lesser qualified operator, or maybe a retired part time guy, can dig and haul with one truck for a while then go spread and compact for a while.

skyking1

I've done the scraper/excavator thing before. If the scraper operator is good, there is not much for the dozer hand to do at the dump site.

SterlingR

Formerly DRESSTA1
I like the Hydrema, but i think i need more capacity and i dont believe i can utilize the side dump feature. My job is a fill job. I am digging 3 barrow pits (ponds/lakes) to provide fill for the site. I need dry weather and I have to pump the pits if and when it rains during excavation. Accordingly, I need to move as much dirt a possible the the weather participates. This makes me fear full of rental. I think the lease companies will give me some rain days but i don't think they will give me rain/pump/dry days. A rental, during most of my year, could be sitting much more than running. I guess i need to buy. I need to buy an old machine that has been well serviced and is most likly to have a couple more years left in it. I know, i may as well go to Los Vegas and gamble. Better chances. Thanks

Another option is a Bergmann. It's a 15 ton unit similar to the Hydrema but our North American operation is in Spartanburg, SC. Stone Equipment is the dealer in Alabama. The rear tip with 750mm tire is only carrying about 10psi of ground pressure, loaded.

Philip S King

Occupation
View attachment 227058 https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=8&acctid=19531

Here’s a gem !
I would have considered this. I missed some post. Not getting email notifications. I ended up buying a Terex TA30 from Yoder and Frey Ohio auction. Working through it now. 10k hours. I think I did ok but it is no spring chicken.

ShaneK

In Alabama, the Koehn team move a lot of dirt with scrapers:
May be worth calling them for scraper pan advice or easiest if they moving the dirt for you.

Philip S King

Occupation
There are plenty of Volvo A25C’s and A30C’s still around and they are excellent trucks. You can pick one up for less than $30,000 but you’ll have to put a few tires on it probably. But if you buy one and fix it up, you’ll have something that can do your job when you need it, then sit around costing very little until you need it again.

The problem I see in the project you are describing is that you need two or three of them to keep production going on the days you can haul. A 75,000 lb excavator can load a lot of dirt in a day if you’ve got enough trucks to stay under the bucket, along with a good dozer operator to keep it spread on the other end. But if you’re going to work through the winter, artic trucks are the only way I know to do it. If you’re willing to accept low production, you and a lesser qualified operator, or maybe a retired part time guy, can dig and haul with one truck for a while then go spread and compact for a while.

That is what I did September - November. Using my old Cat D20D. Going to try and pick it up this spring with the TA30 I bought. Will try to put together crew to run two trucks. With pipe lines shutting down, starting to get some response from the laid off travel guys. Thank You .

Philip S King

Occupation
In Alabama, the Koehn team move a lot of dirt with scrapers:
May be worth calling them for scraper pan advice or easiest if they moving the dirt for you.
I am too far into job for this. I should have started research earlier. Thank You