• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need a new battery

dirt2dig

Since lithiums operate up to 165 F, i would think they would be less affected than lead.
THis from Crownbattery com -
For each 10°F rise in temperature, the life of a sealed lead acid battery is cut in half. Therefore, if a battery in a stationary position that should last for 4 years at normal temps, would last 2 years if exposed 92°F and even less if exposed to typical desert temps of 106°F.

THere is no ' off the shelf lithium battery ' like this so you have to plan ahead and aquire it beforehand.

I dont know of anybody that can remove a 130 lb battery themselves.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Since lithiums operate up to 165 F, i would think they would be less affected than lead.
For each 10°F rise in temperature, the life of a sealed lead acid battery is cut in half. Therefore, if a battery in a stationary position that should last for 4 years at normal temps, would last 2 years if exposed 92°F and even less if exposed to typical desert temps of 106°F.

THere is no ' off the shelf lithium battery ' like this so you have to plan ahead and aquire it beforehand.

I can do that and usually have five or six good hours before I regret it immensely.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
$110.00 and I expect at least 5 years so I'm happy with that. I think I could double that considering it's a Cat battery and I another brand last 10 years that was also reconditioned.
I will say that the lithium jump starter I got works great! It started my welder 6 to 8 times with a dead battery on a single charge and even started the Cat a few times no problem when the battery was only showing between 8 .7 and 9.3 volts. The welder has a magneto so doesn't rely on the battery for anything other than starting. The Cat is basically the same being a diesel. It started my 6.0L gas water truck but the battery was so low that it quit running after about 30 seconds. The lithium jump starter doesn't continue to supply power like a conventional battery type jump starter. What I did was boost the water truck with my pickup and and let it run long enough to charge the battery so my battery charger would work. Then I left the battery charger on for about an hour and then the water truck would keep running after it was boosted.
Had a dead brush truck at the FD one afternoon, something left on. It was equipped with a fire pump on the back, electric start v twin. Also had a pull rope, got the pump started and let it circulate water while its internal alternator charged the truck. Took a few hours to get the truck enough juice to start. Didn't happen to have a spare charger or booster cables so let the pump do its job while fixing a dozen other things.

dirt2dig

Exactly, the backpain takes several hours before incapacitation.

So, I think a 33 lb or so 24V lithium battery would cost about $1200 ... compare that to two 12v AGMs at $700 each... looks like a bargain to me. Would anyone else here like to try it ?

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Exactly, the backpain takes several hours before incapacitation.

So, I think a 33 lb or so 24V lithium battery would cost about $1200 ... compare that to two 12v AGMs at $700 each... looks like a bargain to me. Would anyone else here like to try it ?
Right, get your tools picked up quick and turn on the heated seats! I picked up a battery at the dump the other day, Antigravity 800cca battery, weighed about a pound or two, looks like it'd fit a jeep or small car, has a built in BMS and protection, kind of interested to see what it'll do. Seemed to load test okay on a conventional resistive load checker.

dirt2dig

If Lithium batteries are making inroads everywhere else in starting engines, why not heavy equipment ?
Who here on this forum has the foresight and $$ to be the first ?
Is there a market for them is what I'm trying to find out.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender

130 lbs is less than my bench press warmup.

Welder Dave

I'm guessing dirt2dig is affiliated with a lithium battery company and weighs about 105lbs. soaking wet. I thought the initial question was regarding electric heavy equipment not starting batteries. I can't justify the cost of a lithium 8D equivelant battery. I needed help with an 8D battery after the cancer diagnosis but go back a few years and I changed it by myself. It's weight helps as a counterweight on my track loader. I bought a used reconditioned 8D for $80 that lasted 10 years. A reconditioned group 31 in my tractor is still going strong after over 13 years. It cost $40. A few weeks ago I was reading about a couple dozen electric cars ruined on a cargo ship because of a fire caused by lithium batteries. Yeah, fire is a big issue. I do like my lithium jump starter though.

JD955SC

Absolutely

Had an artic truck that was just fine when I did a 2000 hour service and rental turn on it. Week later it won’t start despite the fact that I cut the battery switch off. Pull off the battery compartment plate after barely getting the hood raised on the last juice and the tops of the batteries were COVERED in the crap

The biggest challenge I face at work is getting the rental guys to understand that if they have to boost a rental machine off that it needs a set of fresh batteries and clean the terminals well. The cost of a set of batteries replaced in the shop is peanuts compared to sending a field truck out to change the batteries not to mention dealing with an irate rental customer who is hot that he can’t use the machine he rented until it’s fixed.

JD955SC

Crane to install a battery :D You have to be kidding.

I absolutely use a crane and a strap to install batteries in equipment

I don’t lift a damn thing I don’t have to and don’t expend more energy than I have to.

Legdoc

Interstate used to be my go to source for batteries. IMO their batteries are crap today. Interstate is nothing but a marketing company from what I understand and made in Mexico. Probably by Johnson Controls. I am trying O' Reilly batteries which are supposed to be Deka/ East Penn products. I saw a East Penn 18 wheeler leaving Walmart Auto recently. Who knows today. Interestingly I once had large 12 volt on my old A/C motor grader last 12 years. The guys at Interstate could not believe it. Same size in a Continental lasted 1 year. That was one of the 125 Lb. puppies. The grader takes two for the 24 volt starter. Stay cool out there!

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Dendrites in the solid-electrolyte interphase is the reason for lithium fires caused from ethylene carbonate that they use to trying enhance the battery performance in some cases, others are punturing the battery for it to short circuit or catch fire and lastly faulty BMS. (battery management system) Trying to charge a LiFePO4 below 32° F will destroy it.
Don't let lead acid get below it's 80% SOC (state of charge) and it will last a long time.
Try to keep a LiFePO4 above 50% of it's SOC for longevity
I can send this thread down a rabbit hole when it comes to batteries, after all I weld with one as part of my PV system in a place where temperatures go from -40°F to 115°F

It's not the years you have a battery that counts, it's the cycles it has been through.
Vibrations kill batteries.
Sulphation kills batteries.

Last edited:

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
I absolutely use a crane and a strap to install batteries in equipment

I don’t lift a damn thing I don’t have to and don’t expend more energy than I have to.
Buddy used to say "Jack not name Jack job"

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Dendrites in the solid-electrolyte interphase is the reason for lithium fires caused from ethylene carbonate that they use to trying enhance the battery performance in some cases, others are punturing the battery for it to short circuit or catch fire and lastly faulty BMS. (battery management system)
You made all those words up, I unrolled a lithium battery and it was only filled with fire and smoke. :)