• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need a new battery

Welder Dave

Just when I think everything is fixed another problem comes up. The battery post connections on my Cat have always stayed clean but after fixing the backhoe noticed the battery connections were quite corroded. There was even corrosion on the hold down bracket quite a ways from the battery posts. I had to boost the Cat but put a charger on the battery for about 4 1/2 hours yesterday. It would only charge to 80%. I took the positive cable off and after cutting the corroded cable and splicing a new piece of cable and clamp today, it still needed to be boosted. So looks like I need a new battery. Of course it has to be an expensive 8D battery. Is it common for a battery to go bad and cause corrosion on the terminals and other places when there never used to be any corrosion?

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
That's a new one on me. I use NOALOX from Ideal on the terminals & have never had corrosion, but I've seen plenty of corroded terminals that weren't treated.

Zewnten

I've seen it a lot, mostly cars. I was told by an old timer if the positive is getting crudy the battery is on its way out, the crud is from the alternator over charging it he said. So far he's always been right, every time I load test a battery with this it fails or is weak.

Truck Shop

Batteries running hot emitting gases will do that. Removed a set of 4-group 31hd's this week that had
a plate drop causing internal short. Boiling hot misting out the vent.

Welder Dave

I was lucky the place I get batteries (they recondition them) had an 8D. I've had very good luck with reconditioned batteries from them. The one I was replaced was about 7 years old and cost $80 if I recall. The one before that lasted about 10 years. The reconditioned battery in my tractor is still going strong after about 14 years! It's possessed but in a good way. The 8D was $110 exchange. I had to pay $135 but will get $25 back when I take them the old one. Their price for a new one was $260/$265 which is way cheaper than anywhere else I checked. The lowest I found was $309. The reconditioned one is a Cat battery and a lot heavier than the one that came out. The guy said Cat batteries typically have thicker plates to handle vibration better.
Thankfully a friend was able to come out and help me take out the old battery and install the new one. We used a come-a-long on a grab handle on the roll bar and swung the battery out where we could slide it into the skid steer bucket. I didn't remove the backhoe but lifted it off the brackets and drove ahead about 8 inches just to have a little extra room to get at the battery. I've changed the battery myself in the past but don't how I managed to do it after remembering how heavy an 8D battery is. Machine started instantly and should be good for several years. Reconditioned battery has a 1 year warranty and I think a new one is 18 month's. The guy said they typically expect about 4 years out of a reconditioned battery but I've always had them last much longer than that.

Welder Dave

I checked the number on the battery I got and it's 153-5720. That's the highest rated Cat battery with 1500 CCA and looks like it's about $491.00cad. for a new one. I realize it's a reconditioned battery but it still has the heavy duty construction from original. If I'm lucky it wasn't in real bad shape when it was replaced and after reconditioning it will last like a new one. Cat claims their premium high output batteries last 3 to 5 times longer than other batteries and have to meet more stringent tests. The battery won't get much of a workout starting a 65 HP 3204. It starts the engine instantly. I'm sure Cat must have spec'd. an 8D battery to act as more counterweight. It weighs 132lbs.!

Welder Dave

That's what I've been reading. The 1st battery they brought out had a small crack on the top so they took that one back. I was so glad the 2nd battery they gave me was also a Cat battery as I've read they are much better for vibration resistance. I think they were going to throw the cracked one out. I almost felt like asking what they'd sell it for. The former owners of the shop would use a soldering iron to repair minor cracks on the top of a battery. I don't even think the crack was right through. If I had to guess maybe the Cat batteries came out of a generator or something where they need to work when required so were just replaced. I don't think most people would pay the premium price for a Cat battery but larger operations would.

East Penn Honored as Certified Supplier to Caterpillar for the Fifteenth Year - East Penn Manufacturing

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Me too. I like them and availability is good. Deka makes a damn good one, too. I will purchase the group 31 AGM Dekas when I need to air freight a truck battery to a remote place. No extra hazmat charges for agm, if they are packed correctly. My fav parts store packs them for me.

terex herder

Batteries are made to a price point. If quality is defined as meets specifications and goals, walmart used to have the highest quality batteries available. 12 month battery, I never had one fail in 12 months or less. But it seems like they were all dead before 18 months. I have used Interstate, but switched to CarQuest as the delivery is much easier. Within the last year I have switched back to Interstate as the CarQuest weren't lasting much beyond the 12 month commercial warranty. I've got group 31 Interstate that are over 5 years old and still going strong.

Welder Dave

Other than the weight I've had good success with reconditioned 8D's. 10 and 7 years out of batteries that weren't even new, I can't complain.