• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need a new battery. Single or double?

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Hey DMiller,
My employer also owns generation, (many power companies sold off all generation) but is selling (trying to...LOL) all the fossil fuel generators currently. Additionally they have 3 nuke plants, and lots of solar, and are about to throw a lot of money at wind for off shore generators.

Anyhow, we also generate at lower voltages, then step up for the long haul, then back down (why AC won the battle) for subtransmission, then even lower voltages for what we call secondary's.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Main Genny at plant was 25KV delivery to step ups, they took that and made 360kv at 1000 amps. We had a aux transformer for site loads that fed two 13,800 & four 4160 step downs, those in turn fed 480s and other switchgear to make usable power for plant structures. All three phase but the 120V.

My previous employer also wants out of Generation, said many times "They know what ENRON did wrong and are going to prove what the base concept was will be equitable". A fools parade.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
The theory of more volts = less amps is why the power company I work for raises the voltage very high (currently up to 500,0000 volts) to transmit, then steps down to deliver. Of course the fact that there is less loss (= lost $$) at a higher voltage helps too:D.
We had an engineer at work that decided it would save money if they reduced the voltage. Cost my department about $50,000 in boards and equipment before I figured out what was going on. The bad part was a lot of the equipment would have run at the lower voltage but would have needed some jumper changes made on the boards BEFORE it was changed.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
LOL, NH575E, your story reminded me of a boss I had at Good Year, in the early days of my auto career. He was a real smart one, he was going to save some money, so the store was more profitable. So, he turned off the heat in the shop. We all wore jackets all day. By morning we had a flood because the water pipes burst. They fixed the plumbing, and he was so smart, he did it again....yes, the plumber was back the next day to replace pipes again. Not sure he saved the money he thought he would...:eek: