• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Narrowing the field

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Well I'm on my way down the road of new mini-ex and 2nd Hand truck. The excavator part is proving harder than the truck.

In short I need to keep the machine under 7,700 lbs and be zero tail swing with no cab/ROPs only.

Cat dipped out on price.

Kubota offered me a great deal on the U35-3 but it is 6" wider than I want to be.

Takeuchi have a 2.8 only and I'm still waiting on a quote.

Volvo don't do these sizes.

We don't get hardly any Bobcat excavators here and the dealer don't give me a warm fuzzy.

Which leaves me with Hitachi and Yanmar. Very Very similar machines but don't say that to the salesmen. Both have Yanmar engines and not a lot in it otherwise. Prices are close. The Hitachi has auto-idle standard and the Yanmar has hydraulic quick hitch as standard. I can get my hands on the Yanmar Vio 2.7 (which is actually almost 3 tonne{6,500 lbs}) at 2 weeks notice cause they have one in stock. The Hitachi Zaxis 30U is 6-8 weeks delivery and maybe then some.

Whats the verdict??...Recommendations anyone??

Tommjr

Go with the Yanmar.

VIO 35. My old Boss has 6 of them. You will not find a better machine.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Squizzy, I've found the most important thing in buying a machine is dealer support. Who is going to get you up and running the fastest when the machine goes down? I've paid more up front for a machine with a great supporting dealer and it pays off in the long run. I don't know how dealer networks are where you are, but in my neighborhood, Cat is the model which other manufacturers try to match as far as dealer support goes.

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
Go with the Yanmar, but only if the service is there. Service really pays, I learned that over the last couple weeks.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
I would see if you can rent a machine in what ever weight class your looking at to see if it fits your needs.

My choice would be Hitachi but if you got to wait 6-8 weeks thats a long time especially if you have jobs lined up and ready to go and you need a machine.

You say the Kubota is 6"s wider is that much of a problem or do you really need the tight clearances. If the Kubota dealer has a machine in stock maybe you could live with the extra 6"s.

If you need the machine fairly quick then I would have to say Yanmar.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
I know just how important the service and support is after the 301.8 business. Cat really stuck with it and its now settled.

The problem is I haven't been able to find out too much about the local Yanmar and Hitachi dealers because nobody seems to have had much drama. I suppose thats a good sign. Hitachi have a big operation here. What actually matters more is the prevailing company attitude that only reveals itself when you buy a citrus flavoured machine.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Well after much analysis, review and comparison I decided to get more scientific with my approach...I got my soon to be 4 year old to pick which machine from the glossy brochures. He picked the Yanmar because its yellow.:Banghead

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
More number crunching and discussions with dealers today. Hitachi came through with a really good deal on a Zaxis 35U by including the steel tracks with rubber pads in the standard price. However, by the time you add a hydraulic quick hitch & thumb all the 3.5 tonne machines exceed what I am willing to pay. Otherwise thay can't deliver a 3 tonne machine until November.

I think the Hitachi might have the edge in performance and backup but I'm not going to be digging trenches all day everyday. The 3 tonne machines are enough for predominantly block work and the Yanmar comes in 3K under plus the Hyd QH is standard. Looks like Yanmar has the deal.

Time will tell.

Now the fun starts...have to get my hands on the Isuzu first...then there is paint, signwriting, insurance, buckets & a thumb, some new ally ramps...the list goes on.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
Can we hear cha ching cha ching and Squizzys bank account getting smaller :yup

I think when all the dust settles you will be better off going on your own and be your own boss.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Yanmar Vio 27-3

Well we finally got out and picked up the new machine. Here's a few pic's.

BTW, Squizzy junior was not keen on the 27....he saw all the 25 tonne Sumitomos at the dealer and he was off "don't worry about Dad's little toy..I want one of these!"

Attachments

• Numbat 001.jpg
    Numbat 001.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 1,161
  • Numbat 003.jpg
    Numbat 003.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 1,144
  • Numbat 004.jpg
    Numbat 004.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 1,130

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
These pics show where the hydraulics run through the stick. The recessed work light under the stick is a nice feature I think as they often suffer some damage.

The machine has a very neat hydraulic quick hitch which I'm looking forward to using.

Attachments

• Numbat 005.jpg
    Numbat 005.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 1,125
  • Numbat 006.jpg
    Numbat 006.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 1,139
  • Numbat 007.jpg
    Numbat 007.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 1,084
  • Numbat 009.jpg
    Numbat 009.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 1,102

greywynd

The work light on my little Hitachi is on the one side of the boom, often it will hit a wall when I'm still trying to get closer with the bucket to scrape mud off the same wall. Tucked up where it is should work well, and will help to eliminate shadow from the boom itself. Interesting to see they've also got guards over all the cylinders.....I know when it cost me over $600 this spring to rebuild the boom cylinder I was wishing that the original owner had left it on my machine.

Maybe it's the pic, but it looks like the idler wheels on teh track aren't evenly spaced....I wonder what the thinking is there...or if there are more wheels where the weight is concentrated...just seems strange is all.

With more research, it wouldn't surprise me to find out that the Yanmar and Hitachi machines may be made at the same facility....the small John Deere excavators are also built by Hitachi for John Deere. (Many times I've got parts from the local Deere dealer rather than having them shipped from the Hitachi dealer.)

Mark

Jeff D.

Looks good!:thumbsup

Squizzy, what's the final vedict on the addition of a hydraulic thumb?

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Looks good!:thumbsup

Squizzy, what's the final vedict on the addition of a hydraulic thumb?

My man "Bob (the bucket) Builder is buried with work, not the least building me a couple more buckets, but as soon as he's got the time its going in for a hydraulic thumb. Might be a month.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
The little digger got a good test run on the first job. The driveway at this place is enough to put you off. The first thing was to land the tracks on top of and old brickwall, drive the GP bucket into the middle of the clients lawn and then haul her up the top so we could demo the retainer. The site had been filled with sand but the concrete footings under the wall were in wet clay and had to be "unsucked" out of the clay...the Yanmar spent a fair bit of time on tippy toes. Stick power is awesome and push is not too bad.

A concrete operator with a Takeyourhoochie stopped and watched us operate on the driveway for about 15 minutes pulling out the last of the footings...said he'd definetly take a look at Yanmar next time is TK died.

Power lines from the street below run low over the work area and bigger excavator just could not have been operated here'

I'm happy so far but I reserve judgement until its got a couple a hundred hours

Attachments

• Numbat 010.jpg
    Numbat 010.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 584
  • Numbat 011.jpg
    Numbat 011.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 576

tylermckee

I think you will be happy with the machine, i spent a few hundred hours in a vio35 and it was a great little machine. It seemed to slightly weaker than other machines i have ran in its weight class, not much but a little. Although i would say it more than made up for it with its speed, it was fast.

imjustdave

Squizzy246B said:

I was just looking for opinion on the Vio 27 you purchased a few months ago? I'm thinking about getting a 50 series, Im debating as you were on, kobelco, Hitatchi, deer, kabota, and the yanmar, the local JD dealership sells the yanmar becase the local Hitatchi dealer has deer and Hitatchi, anyways, how do you like it? do you feel it was a good choice? any warentee repairs, Any photos in the mud, or some cool project. latter

Last edited by a moderator:

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Squizzy246B said:

I was just looking for opinion on the Vio 27 you purchased a few months ago? I'm thinking about getting a 50 series, Im debating as you were on, kobelco, Hitatchi, deer, kabota, and the yanmar, the local JD dealership sells the yanmar becase the local Hitatchi dealer has deer and Hitatchi, anyways, how do you like it? do you feel it was a good choice? any warentee repairs, Any photos in the mud, or some cool project. latter

Its got a couple a hundred hours Dave and no problems. I will post some pics in the next couple of days but we have been suitably impressed with the machine. The hydraulic quick hitch as a standard fitment is a blessing.

Last edited by a moderator:

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I have never seen anyone put ram protectors on all the cylinders before. Thats a great idea on a mini. The factory hyd. coupler is also way cool. Sounds like you made a great choice.