• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

My first track loader!

boone

Looks good,be sure and save the old caps,you never know when you will need one.Ron G

Will do. Since they were somewhat reasonably priced ($21), we even ordered an extra tooth with lock and pin in case we break one. Hopefully, that wouldn't happen. We'll probably use it in the dirt for awhile before we get back in the rock.

boone

Boone, you have the best looking 175C in the business. Where do you get the paint? I am in Florida this week and DC next week but back on the beast 1 August to put the final back together. My bucket teeth are welded on and worn out. Guess I could cut them off and weld new ones on!

Thanks GT. We got our paint from Decatur Tractor and Equipment Company. Part # was 1400002H2 Dresser yellow. It was $34.80/gallon and we ordered two gallons. Used about a gallon and a half on the loader. It was very good paint. We didn't put any hardeners or thinner in it. I would highly recommend it. We're lucky with only two of our outer shanks being welded on. Once you get the teeth off, you'd probably have no trouble replacing as long as your shanks are in good shape.

boone

I'll be interested to hear how the new ones work out. My teeth look about like your old ones but I still haven't done any digging yet. You mentioned "dirt" teeth, is there a different tooth for rocky soil like mine?

I'm interested to see how digging compares as well. These are made in Korea according to the parts guy. :rolleyes: Price was right though. There are several types of teeth available. They do have a rock chisel tooth, tiger tooth, abrasion tooth, ripper tooth, etc. The teeth we took off looked to be the same type tooth we put on and it seemed pretty strong in the rock we were in. Protecting the shank is the main thing as those can get up into some $$.

Goldtrigger

Occupation
semi-retired, computer logistics
From 34 k feet over the Gulf on my IPad! Enroute home for a day or so. Will try to find the paint and shoot some at the beast before we sell her! Next Sunday enroute to DC for real job! Doubt we screw with the teeth. Too much gas to burn the old teeth off. We'll see how it goes once the drive is functional!

Goldtrigger

Occupation
semi-retired, computer logistics
No way to keep the Beast. The Boss Lady has put a contract on the Beast! Be gone ASAP! We just have to get her back operational so we can get as much for her as possible,

250c

Goldtrigger if you get the "beast blues" feel free to come look at the 250 I think the Cove is only 23 miles from Gatesville

MRB

A new guy here. I bought a 955K and finally got a manual and parts book, but I am having trouble finding a used Recoil spring assembly. The spring is broken in several pieces and the rod that is between the grease cup and the front idler has been cut and lengthened. I thought it may be easier to find a complete assembly. Any directions?

Komatsu 150

If you haven't tried yet it might not hurt to give your Cat dealer a call. Our dealer has a dismantling program and they are networked to various cities. It usually costs about half of new but they do come somewhat guaranteed. Sadly those kind of parts may be hard to find in good useable condition.

boone

I'd say around 3 gal/hour the way we run it. We can run two 10 hour days and and the end of the second day have around quarter of a tank - that's burning through about 60 gallons. Fuel consumption has been much better than we expected.

ttazzman

I'll be interested to hear how the new ones work out. My teeth look about like your old ones but I still haven't done any digging yet. You mentioned "dirt" teeth, is there a different tooth for rocky soil like mine?

as mentioned in another post there are many kinds of teeth availible....generally dirt teeth are longer and thinner.........rock teeth will be shorter and much bulkier sometimes even round pointed...

struckzb

Boone,

Your machine looks awesome!!! I bought a TD7 and am in the process of getting new rollers, pins and bushings, and sprockets. Also want to throw some fresh paint on it soon. However I live in Washington which tends to have wet winters. I have a shop that has a lean-to off one side that is big enough to park the dozer underneath but I would have to enclose it. Would you advise against painting in the winter? It's usually about 45-50 degrees outside this time of year.

I was thinking about laying down some visqueen, since the shed has a dirt floor ( to keep the moisture down), and starting up the kerosene heater. Then degrease it, sand blast and repaint. I don't know how much more complicated it would be. I've never painted heavy equipment before.

I looked at the place you got your "Dresser Yellow" paint but it doesn't look they ship out of state. And that part number for the paint doesn't lead me to any other distributors. Do you know of any other sources for the paint?

Thanks,
Zack

boone

Thanks Zack! Congrats on your TD7.

I'm no professional painter. But based on our experience with this, I would not recommend painting in 50* weather. We painted this machine in hot July with high humidity and it took the paint at least a week to cure. We didn't have much of a paint booth, but it worked pretty well. The barn we're in has plastic under the gravel so that cuts down on the moisture coming up above. Sounds like you have a good idea on laying visqueen down under the machine. Here was our paint booth the day we layed it on. We had stripped all the decals and masked everything off...

DSC03408-640.jpg

We pressure washed it and tried to degrease it as best we could with the limited time we had. The old paint was in pretty good shape, so we used that as our primer. The paint has stuck really well. You should do well if you sand blast it too. Here's a shot of dad in action. He painted the parts that look good. I did paint the bucket and the undercarriage. Funny, most of that paint has worn off by now :beatsme

DSC03417-640.jpg

Hopefully your local Komatsu dealer will have the paint mentioned. That'd be the first place to look. I'm not sure where else you could get it. I want to say the first batch of paint we bought ended up being the Komatsu yellow which was a little bright for the Dresser. Had to take that batch back and get Dresser yellow. Make sure you check the color before you leave with it where ever you get it.

struckzb

Okay thanks Boone. Looks like I'll wait and just rebuild the engine this winter. Not a whole lot of dirt I can push in the winter without just making a mud hole.

JDDozerman

Occupation
Disabled Farmer
Hello Boone, you'll NEVER guess what I just came across!!! YEP!!! A 93 Dresser 175C with a 4-in-1 bucket, 800 hours on an "overhaul", and it's even in MY area, AND in my price range!!!!! Imagine that!!! I have read this entire thread, and I'm VERY scared, and VERY excited, at the same time! After seeing the problems you encountered, well of course that's the "scary" part! HOWEVER, seeing the "end result", that's the "exciting" part!!! I'm going to check it out though, this COULD be the machine I've been looking for, since it has the 4-in-1 bucket, as I would REALLY need that option!!! Anyway, I will let you know, but I may just wind up with it, needless to say this thread has given me MORE than enough stuff to "look at and consider"! So maybe, if nothing else, you're "misadventure's" may help me to avoid the same!??! IF I keep my wits about me!!! Thanks SO much for posting ALL of this! Your loader looks STELLAR!!!!!
Best wishes,
JD in Missouri