• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

My D6D

Queenslander

It is 75cfm, which is probably about the minimum for this application, but I wanted to be able to carry it on a ute and not have to drag another trailer around.

.RC.

The compressor looks a handy unit. A decent sized one is something I will consider down the track. I have a 40CFM one here that I currently use.

.RC.

I have finally got around to testing the pressure on the steering brake comtrol unit. The side that the brake is sluggish reads a lot lot lower pressure at the same pullout of the lever as the other side. Until you get to the near end of the travel, then the pressure jumps up quickly to full.

I would say the problem lies in the steering control unit. Maybe a broken spring or just plain worn out valve spool($$$$)

However interestingly at idle the pressure is higher sooner then at half or full revs.

I should be able to remove the spools from the rear without having to remove anything else. I have discovered new ways my elbow bends getting the pressure gauge hose onto the test ports.

.RC.

Steering spools and out and been pulled apart. The cam that operates the spools is apparently very very worn so the spools were not moving when they were supposed to. The person doing the work has not seen one so worn, although on later models the cam had a roller bearing on it, this is metal on metal.

Worst part is the new parts are ex-USA, so probably weeks away in this day and age.

dozr

Occupation
excaving
should stop before gets that far, bet that made a noise, i lost one in core of pond one time, rocks was wide enought for tracks but push arms was to wide ,had to take track apart in mud drag it to top of hill then go drag dozer to top on flat and put back on ,made for bad day you dont forget thoes days.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
should stop before gets that far, bet that made a noise, i lost one in core of pond one time, rocks was wide enought for tracks but push arms was to wide ,had to take track apart in mud drag it to top of hill then go drag dozer to top on flat and put back on ,made for bad day you dont forget thoes days.

I can relate. As a 14 year old kid I was pushing a manure pile up, cleaning a very sloppy feedlot for a neighbor with our new to us D2. I learned that day that someone had the tracks off previously and substituted a bolt for the track master pin. It came out and I walked that D2 right off the end of the nicely laid out track. Under six Inches of sloppy crap. Fortunately my uncle was only a few miles away with his Euclid loader. He came and drug me and the track out if the manure. I had to hook it and the track up. It still wasn't pretty but at least the tracks dried up mostly in the couple days it took to get a track pin.

.RC.

The undercarriage on that dozer is well used, add a snapped recoil spring and an ordinary operator and it is a recipe for the track to come off. I was told they got it back together pretty easily. I have had a track come off our D4D a couple of times. Once the pins and bushes were replaced it never happened again.

.RC.

Found a major problem with air cabs.

You can do more work in dusty conditions leading to air filters filling up with dirt far quicker then expected (as expected on such an old machine it has nothing to tell you when there is a filter restriction). The plastic precleaners seem to be about 1920's technology in dusty conditions. Have ordered a Turbo II pre cleaner.

How many times can you clean the outer element? Do not really want to put dust onto the inner.

Last edited:

Glum

Here you go, RC
20201020_141828.jpg
We have similar dusty conditions to you. We blow them out pretty regularly and hold them up to the sun or using a light to keep an eye out for the paper splitting on the folds. If you are getting dust on the inner its time to change.
Probably replace outers at around 500 hours or less on average. It helps to have a spare outer element so you can blow it out at the workshop and swop as necessary.
Water temp guage usually lets you know if the filter is blocked.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Glum, when I started reading where you said to have a spare air filter I had a flash back to an image I saw at a filter seminar years ago.
Believe it was of a D8 or some such dozer and the operator carried a "spare" air filter. And to have it cleaned out for future use he had it slipped over the exhaust pipe to blow out the dirt!

.RC.

Have done my bit to boost the US economy. :D
20201031_093133.jpg

Next up is a new fuel pump. At full revs it runs in the idle pressure range. The line is clear and the primary screen is clean but it was atrocious. Fuel pump must be worn out from the crap fuel they put through it