• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Moving wood with a 580SE

Equipmentguy224

Hello everyone,
So I have a lot of split firewood that i will need to move around in the next little bit. The truck broke down and its way too much for the quad so the backhoe is the only option left.
I can either build an extension for the FEL bucket of some sort or use a trailer. It would probably be easier to build something so i can pull the trailer from the backhoe bucket but the problem is that a good portion of the distance is up or down quite a steep hill. Will hooking a trailer to the backhoe shovel put too much strain on the components?

Thank you for your input!

JL Sargent

I would repair the truck and use it so that I won't be repairing the backhoe later. We move firewood in the loader bucket all the time and at 1.25yd it is quite a heavy load if full. I couldn't imagine adding an extension to it for more wood. That would quickly exceed the 6K lb max. Pulling a heavy trailer with the backhoe bucket is just begging for a hydraulic or transmission problem.

Grady

I move a lot of firewood in the front bucket of a loader and never had any problems. I always figured it was giving it a break from lifting rock and stone. Green oak weighs 85 lbs./cu ft. 27 cu ft. per cu yard means a 1.25 yd bucket full would weigh about 2890 lbs if you could pack it full with no air spaces. I put the forks on mine and a sheet of plywood if the wood is already cut short.

JL Sargent

I believe the 580SE came with a 1yd bucket and a little over 4K lift capacity at full height. Maybe it's a 10K lb machine? Adding extensions and I would think a person could exceed that lift capacity. We moved two buckets full of fresh cut Hickory firewood this weekend ourselves with the backhoe. Handy machine for that.

Equipmentguy224

Thanks for everyone's input, I do appreciate it. Unfortunately fixing the truck was not an option as I had to get the wood moved within a few days. I ended up building an extension for the FEL bucket. I'll try to attach a picture. I only have fir around here so that should only be about 31 lbs./cu ft. The 580SE I have has a 1yd heaped capacity with the 4in1 and 5200lbs full height capacity. Assuming I was able to extend the bucket to three yards (but I think its less) it would only work out to about 2.5k lbs. I know its not the optimal solution but it works.

I also try to not load to the front of the bucket to minimize leverage on the bucket cylinder and linkageIMG_7936.JPGIMG_7915.JPG