• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Motor-Grading Techniques

Danial Doherty

From what I have seen most of the kids coming out now are nothing but machine drivers, not operators. They DEMAND air conditioned cabs, GPS, stereo in the cab and the list goes on. When they get in a machine a lot of them have a hell of a time starting the start button.

IMO you could be considered a driver until you become experienced then you could be considered a operator, also the guys who demand all those things are probably in it just for the pay cheque. Im sure they could care less what the finished product looks like. Its always nice to have the best of the best but for me, i will settle for the machine that i have at he time. After all i could be on the ground raking it around.

Danial Doherty

Here is a quick question for you more experienced operators.
when your doing finish grade and cutting gravel down at the asphalt do you have your back wheels on the asphalt and drive off while cutting to the needed depth, or do you put your front wheels up on the asphalt and back off while cutting? the second method seems to be working best for me.

Randy Krieg

Occupation
Test Pilot/Operator @ Caterpillar's Tucson Proving
Danial
That’s the way I do it. If you don’t have the machine perfectly square to the joint then as your tandems tires roll off it’s like a teeter tooter. The machine is like a duck and you’re just constantly fighting it. When you do it in reverse it doesn’t matter which tires drops off the joint first because the front axle oscillates, so the front of the machine and the moldboard just drops straight down. No teeter tottering and grapping at the lift controls, just roll the moldboard back a little as each front tire drops off the joint. The nice thing is you can see exactly when each tire starts to drop because you’re looking straight forward. Using this technique I usually build a landing pad long enough that I can turn around and back my tandems in on the grade and pick up the pile with my moldboard. This gives you a nice launching pad to take off from with no “Duck Walking”. I’ve finished hundreds of bridge deck joints and asphalt tie ins and I always do them in reverse. I also still use the Swede Rods for checking this area as I still believe it’s the simplest and fastest way. This is just another reason I learn to turn the moldboard around so fast. Great question!!!!
Regards, Randy

newgraderguy

Well I just signed up and cant seem to make a new topic so I figured this is the next closest option. I just started on a grader this past week since there werent enough haul trucks up and running and there was a spare grader. Well I guess the plan now is to train me on the grader as a back up option or whatever.
So basically I'm looking for advice, tips, strategy for what to concentrate on learning first, what to try not to do, etc
The grader is a 16H Cat, with the serrated blades, and so far all I've been doing is trying to scratch up haul roads to give the trucks traction. Ground is pretty frozen/hard with the exception of a couple softer areas/mini punchouts. Any advice is welcome, but please keep in mind as mentioned, I just got in the seat so try to keep it understandable for a new guy lol
Thanks
Jeff

Tvan

Occupation
Supervision now Days
Nothing like seat time

Well I just signed up and cant seem to make a new topic so I figured this is the next closest option. I just started on a grader this past week since there werent enough haul trucks up and running and there was a spare grader. Well I guess the plan now is to train me on the grader as a back up option or whatever.
So basically I'm looking for advice, tips, strategy for what to concentrate on learning first, what to try not to do, etc
The grader is a 16H Cat, with the serrated blades, and so far all I've been doing is trying to scratch up haul roads to give the trucks traction. Ground is pretty frozen/hard with the exception of a couple softer areas/mini punchouts. Any advice is welcome, but please keep in mind as mentioned, I just got in the seat so try to keep it understandable for a new guy lol
Thanks
Jeff

When you say serrated blades, or Kenne metal edges, I would say on a frozen haul road you just keep scaring up fines and keep speed down because you put to much down pressure and hit a Rock or a hump it can suck you out in the pucker brush so fast it will make your head swim, plus you can sure screw up a moldboard or circle pretty easy, slow and smooth is better than fast and tore up. Good Luck and keep the haulers smiling then you know your doing a good job, like I say Good luck and Be Safe, Tommy

newgraderguy

By serrated edges I mean they have slots cut in them maybe an inch wide so basically the bottom edge looks like a comb? And the haul roads are bermed all the way along so getting sucked into a ditch isnt an issue, though I suppose a berm would kinda be bad too!

Anyways, so far what I've been doing, whether right or wrong, is tilting the blade all the way back (cutting edge as far back as it goes, then ahead an inch or 2 so its not at the limit) then having the blade angled just slightly to one side, just so it isnt quite straight across. I was told this provides the best cutting while not rolling all the material I stir up off the blade to the berm. Only problem is it seems to not work at times, and kinda doesnt sound right with what I've been reading on here and from talking to other people. Wondering how others would approach this as far as blade setup and whatnot...
And 1 more added bonus, the speedometer doesnt work so I have no clue what speeds I've been usuing, but I'd say probably most passes I use 4th gear, or 5th? Would that sound reasonable?
I'm sure some of you are probably shaking your head about these questions since they're probably so basic, but I've never really paid attention to graders before in the truck cause I figured I'd never be running one anyways. Ooops lol

Grader4me

Welcome to HEF newgraderguy. Lots of info on this site for the new grader operator. Your blade angle sounds okay if you're just just scratching up some material to fill in the potholes etc. If you are making a heavy cut you will need to angle it more, but from the sounds of your post its froze so that probably won't be an option.
Careful of those soft spots if you have your blade tilted all the way down. You will be doing nose prints in the windshield. Applying alot of pressure to get a cut of the frozen ground..then hit a soft spot..ouch!
Work your moldboard tilt/angle...practice..and find the best application for what you're working in. Big thing is SLOW..second or third gear. Good luck!

On edit...grandpa...Don't even think of it...lol

Last edited:

Deeretime

Occupation
superintendent
OK spun the blade around backwards yesterday and tried pulling my windrow up the slope and put it on top of the birm..... It was a cool challenge but after a half hour or so i figured i would have to put it back and straiten my slope !!

Randy you make stuff look way to pritty in reverse
Thank you for the tip im sure it will come in useful some day when i am in need

Allterra

Occupation
Owner/operator
Deeretime in response to post 137...I completely agree. I was "trained" in the army 20+ years ago to operate heavy equipment...20 years later I am still learning. I spent 3 years in the ditch befor I ever got to dig. Now I find myself back in the ditch because it is faster than retraining these "educated" kids what I need done.

Deeretime

Occupation
superintendent
Lol Im only 21 now and i cant imagine building my family's buisiness with some of these so called qualified oporators, I sure hope that it becomes a proud trade that only the young, smart and ambitious people continue in because i am tired of a Heart beat!

Dirty Girl

Occupation
Grader Operator (Logging)
Deeretime in response to post 137...I completely agree. I was "trained" in the army 20+ years ago to operate heavy equipment...20 years later I am still learning. I spent 3 years in the ditch befor I ever got to dig. Now I find myself back in the ditch because it is faster than retraining these "educated" kids what I need done.

That's a shame that you are having a bad experience with "educated" Operators (or "Drivers" as they were referred to earlier.) I am one of these educated people and I just wanted to let you know that not ALL of them demand a stereo, or A/C etc. In fact the grader I am running right now has neither. I am honoured that I am trusted with an expensive piece of equipment, I take pride in my work, and I have been told I take better care of the grader than experienced operators who started with a shovel 50 years ago. This is completely due to the education I received, by a qualified experienced instructor. Yes, I am still learning techniques and expect I will still be learning at the end of my career in 40 years! If I don't know or understand something I ask, I listen and then I do it. If you... well lets call you "seasoned" operators don't have a little patience and understanding, you won't have any holidays, time off, or retirement because so many employers are asking for a ticket now. I don't know about you, but I'd like to pay my mortgage. That being said I was willing to start off for free just to get the seat time, and for the love of operating a grader. :my2c

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Dirty Girl, you are the exception to the rule. Someone who wants to work, do the job, do it right, not afraid to ask, don't demand and the like. You are someone that I respect. All I know is that around here we have a lot of the other type.

Dirty Girl

Occupation
Grader Operator (Logging)
Greg,
Thank you, and I am sorry that some are creating a bad stereotype for the rest of us. I suppose that ignorance can be found in any industry, and there will always be slackers, and stupidity somewhere. All I can do is my best and try to be a good example during my career. :)

michael james

Occupation
36 years working for a council, last 12 as a grade
Hi Dirty Girl, some of your statements; "I am honoured that I am trusted with an expensive piece of equipment, I take pride in my work, and I have been told I take better care of the grader than experienced operators who started with a shovel 50 years ago." and, "Yes, I am still learning techniques and expect I will still be learning at the end of my career in 40 years! If I don't know or understand something I ask, I listen and then I do it."

Well done for sticking up for yourself, obviously you have alot of pride in yourself and how you approach things, with your attitude you are sure to have a long and enjoyable career as an "operator" with many high achievements on the way.

Deeretime

Occupation
superintendent
Dirty girl , i apologise if i upset you, we were simply speaking of the majoraty of witch you are a exception.

Being a female you are already further ahed of the boys! We think with our egos and get bored realy realy easily.
I have females and they are the best rock truck drivers we have. You take our advise, dont argue and if you dont know you ask instead of Screwing it up like most boys.

Best of luck to you and hope you post some pictures