• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Model 35 on 580CK

Boisebiker

Why don't you buy it before someone else doe's ?
Even if you don't do the conversion it could be parted out for more than the asking price.
Unless you don't want to go thru the trouble of parting it out.
Is that your #33 in the photos ?

If I decided to pick it up and not use it, or complete the swap and then part out the Model 33 where would be the best place to list the parts?

Grady

I'd try Craigslist. You'd need someone local. It's not gold it's old. The shipping charges are murder to anyone who isn't local.

Those measurements you want look easy on a hoe that's off the machine. What part of this conversion were you going to do besides back up to it and hook it on? You might have to change your motto from "because I can" to "because WE can". If it was me, I'd take the measurements off my machine and then go see the 35 and if it fits - buy it.

It's just hangs there and hooks up with hydraulics - there's no PTO to worry about. If you want it that bad, make it fit. Do the weld and fabricate thing if you have to. If not, fix the 33. What is the "upgrade" factor, anyway? It's not an extendahoe. Does it have more reach - or is it just in better shape and parts are easier to find? What parts? Pins and bushings?

Last edited:

Grady

Do you know the history of the 35? How do you know it's any tighter than your 33? You might be opening a can of worms. That valve body looks to have been leaking for some time. If it were in great shape it might be worth considering but sometimes the devil you know is a better choice. It's your time and money, either way. I still think I'd fix the 33. Pins and bushings are no big deal if you haven't worn through the bushings completely - and even some of them can be easily fixed with external bushings. How much digging are you planning on doing, anyway?

Boisebiker

I have sent a message to greasenut, thanks for the heads up.

Grady, you make a mean argument. I have finished the digging on my shop and will only be using the backhoe for erecting the building. You are right I can not do this alone and have a friend who will help me with the conversion. I am most concerned about availability of parts, my hoe is worn out and I can’t find the replacement parts for less than it will cost to replace with a 10 year newer one. I would be buying someone else’s old hoe just to have it around for odds and ends. Is it any more crazy then spending months and many$$$ to polish and paint an old machine? By the way I love the idea of making it look all shiny and new.

Grady

What's "worn out" mean? slop in the pins and bushings? That can be fixed on the cheap - but you can't just order the parts from amazon and you seem uninterested in that route anyway. Age is relative. Hours are more important than years, and grease and attention to maintenance is more important than both. I hope the 35 works out but I'm skeptical of you getting out of it any cheaper or easier than fixing what you've got. It's hard to determine the condition of a hoe until it's mounted so it's a bit of a gamble. Roll the dice and good luck.

greasenut

I measured mine and the distance on the lower support is 28 1/2" center to center, the supports are 1" thick. the top support has about 3' play back and forth in the same ballpark. The distance on the hoe center to center vertical is 18 1/2. again the upper supports on the tractor have a lot of play vertical and horizontal as they are two long plates/bars that are pinned off the frame before the axle and lever out back over axle. I'm not the best technical writer but I hope this helps.

Cbait580b

I'm probably too late and didn't check your location but I do know of a '70 580ck being scrapped. I can check on the condition of its hoe. It was disassembled for transport.

Dwol

I am not sure why you think that would be an upgrade, but if I were to attempt the mount, I would get the other side of the assembly. (where it bolts to the axle/frame. Then you can assure of getting her on and off. Another thing to check is the pressures that run the hoe. The 35 may run at higher or lower pressure.upload_2018-11-27_13-59-59.png

Dwol

Here are some Pictures of my 33. The mounts are different:

upload_2018-11-27_14-6-22.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-27_14-6-34.png
    upload_2018-11-27_14-6-34.png
    693.4 KB · Views: 11

Boisebiker

Quick check on Case shows the relief pressures are within 100psi but the newer machines have slightly higher flow rates. Means the machine would be just as strong just a touch slower.

Boisebiker

I get longer reach, newer cylinders, newer valves and more force with the model 35 over the 33. Mostly a because I can more than because I need to.

PCarl

I have sent a message to greasenut, thanks for the heads up.

I am most concerned about availability of parts, my hoe is worn out and I can’t find the replacement parts for less than it will cost to replace with a 10 year newer one. I would be buying someone else’s old hoe just to have it around for odds and ends. Is it any more crazy then spending months and many$$$ to polish and paint an old machine?
I get You, check those guys ( https://www.skidsteers.com/ ) for time to time. They have new and used as well attachments. :)