• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

our 1969 case 580b hydraulics quit working while trenching. HELP

Steve Young

[QUOTE="Steve Young, post: 723780, member: 65581" The dealer thinks it's being caused by a collapsing hose.
Maybe, Steve. Maybe not. A pump usually starves for oil on the suction side of a pump when a hose collapses. It would be almost impossible for a hose to collapse on the output side of any pump. Have you checked the pump pressure yet ? Might be waaay too high. Does it make any noise before the gasket blows out ? Might be a warped pump housing from improper torque values on the body of it.[/QUOTE
I'm going to lower pump pressure, just to see what happens. I don't hear any noise from pump. There was no damage to pump when I replaced gasket. It's getting cold here now. I may put this off until the spring.

greasenut

Hi All,
I see there hasn't be much talk here lately so I"ll hy-jack this thread. Got a weird problem with my 72 580b. I have no hydraulic pressure, new fluid and filter and suction hose on inlet. With the machine running I carefully loosened the coupling on the outlet pipe of the pump to see if it was somehow air locked. I kept loosening it but no air or fluid. I looked up and about a gallon of fluid had come out my fill up opening on top the reservoir. It will do the same thing when I operate the loader. I don't have the hoe attached right now and have the coupling hose for the hoe hooked to the return line. Scratching my head...anybody have some suggestions

greasenut

And another thing. One time after running the machine, after turning it off I slid up the inlet hose down to see if there was any oil and it made a sucking sound, this after it had just pumped oil out of my fill up hole. i had filled both sides of the holding tanks, took out the little plug close to where the inlet nipples are for the inlet t-pipe going down to the pump when I filled the reservoirs...I'm stumped. Does this sound like a bad pump. I would think it would have enough pressure to lift the loader arms...as the loader bucket is off as well. I just finished doing a motor job, overhauling the injector pump and was quite happy i got her running again but now am puzzled.

Delmer

your fluid is blocked from getting to the pump, right? Is your new suction hose a wired stiff suction hose so it doesn't collapse? If it is, then you have a rag or plastic bag stuck in the tank or fitting, that's my guess.

The pump is sucking air, and filling the tank with foam, that's why it overflows.

greasenut

Yes the hose is wire wound. I can see where it makes sense that air might be pushing out the fluid.. but there is no foam that I can see. I take the input hose off and there is a sucking sound...its lasts and lasts...longer than just for the intake tube to the nipples. When the intake tube is hooked up and running and I bleed the output fitting from the pump then it starts to overflow???
I had to put the hoe out to get my other vehicles ready for winter but will have a chance to get it back in a week or two and will defiantly check for a blockage, I just need some ideas to chew on meanwhile..thanks, I hope it is something so simple. I bought the hoe 20 years ago and now feel I can't do without it. Again thanks for the input.. makes sense, but the circumstances are strange.

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
So greasenut.... what else changed since this 580 was working as it should?

I see you mention new fluid, new fluid filter and a new suction hose... anything else? and also how long was the machine down for these repairs? was the hose off the machine for a while and maybe some rodent made a home in there? try to give as much detail as you can because sometimes it's the simple things that can cause issues :)

also, hows about some pictures? we always like to see more iron :) and pics of the new hose... things like that.