• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

MO DOT

workshoprat92

Interstate authority you are already registered as a Commerce Carrier.
Yes i have interstate authority as well as intrastate authority for missouri. Even if you have interstate authority and do point to point in missouri you also must have intrastate authority. I also carry the million dollar limit of liability to haul motorized equipment. Need that to haul heavy equipment!

workshoprat92

I have always heard you can run the nagnet sign cause when your not pulling a trailer and the vehicle is below the 10k you dont need sinage. I really dont want all that crap on my personal daily driver vehicle. I can understand if im pulling a load but thafs where magnet signs come in

workshoprat92

Then you are a Commercial Commerce Registered Carrier. You have no alternative unless Relicense and drop all the authorities. AND Must label your vehicle as noted under a BL License plate.
Even if its my personal daily driver? Im not using my f350 for my business. Its a support vehicle for all my hobbies and properties!

workshoprat92

And actually I am not registered as a common carrier. My business Bullfrog Site Work LLC is registered a s a common carrier. My pu truck is not registered or insured by the business so I think thats a totally different issue. Now as far as using it occasionally for the business I dont know hoe that applies. I guess if I do I wouldnt be insured correctly. Of course thats only if im pulling a motorized vehicle but hust parts and such shouldnt need such high limits of liability!

Truck Shop

If it's used for business and above 10,000 permanent signs are required, that loop hole was closed back in the 70's. I know I worked in my dads sign shop.
DOT 2.5" letters min
City or Town 1.5" letters
Company name 3" letters min
Fire X 1"
Vehicle number 3" min

workshoprat92

So basically anyone with a pu bigger than a half ton needs to have a dot number and comply with all dot comercial vehicle law? Man if thats the case there are a crap ton of illegal trucks out there!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
You misinterpret to be argumentative. IF use a Personal Machine in a Business use it needs to be labeled for that business. If you use it once or everyday it was used for business and is supposed to by law be labeled. If you are using it in lieu of having a dedicated business vehicle to save an expense then again Yes it needs to be labeled. There are no rule side stepping clauses that state you can use it once and all is Okie Dokie just continue as usual.

And if have not been keeping up YES there are a 'crap ton' of vehicles being used illegally and being caught out there.

Do as you wish, just remember Paid Your Money Took Your Chances.

Yesterday we rode bikes for a charity event, there were SEVEN pickups with gooseneck trailers had Cardboard signage taped to the trucks sides pulled over North of New Florence MO. Hot Shotters that were not labeled and thought by adding the carboard signs were adequate, they were being fined on a Sunday by Brownshirt MoDOT after being stopped and held for them by MoSHP. They were pulled over where we could here the argument as rode by directed by another MoSHP. Guy was from Linn MO and "I have never needed signs before, these are signs" pointing to the cardboard.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I have a friend and collegue set up a closed trailer a few years back to use as a mobile shop behind his service truck. It's a big service truck and the trailer is pretty heavy but I don't know the total weight. He drove it around Washington State for awhile and no one ever blinked about it. The weight stickers were on the truck, proper signage and all that. He had to travel to Oregon for a job where he promptly got pulled over and checked out. The only thing they got him for was that he had a Class B license. He called me up and told me the story and asked if I knew how all that worked. I told him this was the first I had heard about it. I asked him if he had asked the officers to provide the legal parameters in some type of official writing? He said they had it all on paper in a book with markers so they could pull it up nearly instantly, of which they proceeded to do. He had to turn around and take the trailer back home and go back to the job which cost him about a day in unpaid time.

The moral of my story is that just because we didn't know about the laws and regulations, didn't mean they didn't exist. My friend having been using his trailer for some time in Washington State, and no one ever brought up the issue which just meant he was operating in a fools paradise.

Truck Shop

Cross the scales at Cascade Locks or Woodburn and you will start a new life. Can't pull a 42' and 20' A Train in Oregon has to be a 40' and 20'. Tongue is to short on turntable/dolly to
make bridge. 42' is legal in Washington. Rain skirt is required on three axle trailers in Oregon, two axle doesn't require it. Washington State is now cracking down on pickup-trailer
combinations, anything under 32,000 is suspect.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I have a friend and collegue set up a closed trailer a few years back to use as a mobile shop behind his service truck. It's a big service truck and the trailer is pretty heavy but I don't know the total weight. He drove it around Washington State for awhile and no one ever blinked about it. The weight stickers were on the truck, proper signage and all that. He had to travel to Oregon for a job where he promptly got pulled over and checked out. The only thing they got him for was that he had a Class B license. He called me up and told me the story and asked if I knew how all that worked. I told him this was the first I had heard about it. I asked him if he had asked the officers to provide the legal parameters in some type of official writing? He said they had it all on paper in a book with markers so they could pull it up nearly instantly, of which they proceeded to do. He had to turn around and take the trailer back home and go back to the job which cost him about a day in unpaid time.

The moral of my story is that just because we didn't know about the laws and regulations, didn't mean they didn't exist. My friend having been using his trailer for some time in Washington State, and no one ever brought up the issue which just meant he was operating in a fools paradise.

I'm an electrician in VT. For a while, I worked in Mass. on occasion. The states have reciprocal licensing agreement, but don't imagine a VT electrician will be welcome in Mass. I endured several threats from inspectors, this after 9 months of effort trying to secure a license in Mass. They played every trick in the book to avoid issuing a license.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
We do not have so much issue here, do have issues with IL idiots driving machines that should have been junked long ago still cruising down interstate. Get tickets like confetti. They have really poor truck inspection requirements that few observe on the lighter stuff. We see the garbage in the RV campground here at City Park. Somehow a moron got as far as the MO River Bridge before caught. HALF Ton pickup, 28' RV Trailer, 18' boat on trailer behind that. MoDOT abused him to no limits. Over Gross, Overweight for License, Multiple Trailers and IMPROPER drivers License(only thing registered RV, the camping trailer), Pickup had a weight tag and boat trailer just a Trailer Tag. Trailer is still at local body shop impound, Boat trailer left with the pickup. NONE of the tail or stop lamps worked on any of them until repaired to go home.

Old Doug

If you want to see scary spend sometime at the station i work by. If it moves its road worthy,if it has brakes it dosent need tied down, if it need tied down 1 small strap is almost over kill. I spotted a skidsteer that was chained down front and back i almost offered to buy the driver dinner. If i bought every one dimmer that had their loads secured i would be very lonely.

Truck Shop

For years around here farmers would haul 300 gallon totes of chemicals without restraints, about ten years ago WSP cracked down on that, Now there all restrained.

4x4ford

Occupation
aunts on the strip Currently drive a 1951 chevy pa
Have an idiot down around Jackson that I’ve seen a few times that runs around with a mini ex just sitting on the trailer no chains one of these days I’ll get a picture if I’m ever not driving and see it