• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Michigan L90 Electrical/Starting Issue

El Smith

Hi all,
Anyone out there got some experience with this loader?
Went out to start er up yesterday and got a bit of grinding (different sound that usual). Usually it starts right up. And now no start or even ACC power with key turned. At first i suspected dead battery due to something left on, but both batteries are charged right up. Batt. disconnect is also checked, and it's on.

I'm thinking starter relay. But not having any power on the batt indicator in the cab when the key is turned has me a bit confused.

Any advice?

Delmer

Get a multi meter, set it to V for Voltage, get some test leads (piece of flexible wire with an alligator clip on each end). Start at the starter solenoid terminals, see where the voltage is and isn't, think about where it should be and shouldn't be, do those match? work back towards the battery if indicated, try the voltages while cranking if you get power back to the cab.

Most likely a bad connection on one of the battery cables, you'll find it soon enough with a multimeter.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
IIRC, left rear corner of cab, should be a ground cable from cab to frame. They have a tendency to break from vibrations. This is after following Delmers advice checking voltage drops.

El Smith

Thank you both. Turns out it was the first thing I put my hand on. Next time i'll just pull the side panels off before posting!
She's back to running perfectly.
2019-08-01 15 37 01.png

And since i got the side panels off i took another photo, just in case anything stand out to you guys.
2019-08-01 15 42 01.png
The AC and break line are pulled out at the bottom because i noticed the break line hose from the frame to the back axle was leaking, and i had to get down in there to replace it.

Any advice on bleeding the breaks. I'm pretty sure the front and rear are on different circuits, so i just have to do the back, right?