• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

MF 50 Industrial Loader/Backhoe questions

Dan07

New to this forum.
I have acquired a MF 50 (i think) Industrial loader/backhoe. I want to find out if in fact it is a MF 50 (or A or B, etc...) so I can purchase the right manuals for it. Searched the web and photos of a MF 50 Industrials do not seem to match up with mine.

Here is what I know:
- Partial Serial number on the inside plate says: 9A???52984. Searched the web with no luck on the last digits. Even emailed AGCO (new MF company) with no reply.
- Loader is an MF-300 serial # 1196-00 4437
- Backhoe is probably a MF 54 not the narrow 54S
- Perkins diesel engine AD4.203
- Instant revese transmission (4 forward and 4 reverse) using a dual pedal design
- attached some photos (max 5 allowed)

The engines starts and works. Some smoke but seems to work fine no abnormal vibration. Hydraulics working, but maybe not as strong as it should be. Never reved it up to max. Gauges not functioning. Fuel leaks from injector connections.

As well a leak occurs at the bottom of the engine transmission section (see photo 5180) that starts after 15 minutes, black engine oil not trans oil, from the metal gasket area. Tightened the four bolts underneath but still leaks.

Any assistance would be appreciated. It is used for a non-profit organization for a youth camp. Purchased in early 1980.

Thanks,
Dan

Attachments

• _MG_5173.JPG
    _MG_5173.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 8,152
  • _MG_5174.JPG
    _MG_5174.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 11,764
  • _MG_5138.JPG
    _MG_5138.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 7,540
  • _MG_5180.JPG
    _MG_5180.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 8,200
  • _MG_5131.JPG
    _MG_5131.JPG
    7.8 KB · Views: 7,633

Dan07

More pics for my MF 50 Indstrial

Some additional picturs that might help figuring out what model this Industrial MF is.

Attachments

• _MG_5139.JPG
    _MG_5139.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 7,384
  • _MG_5129.JPG
    _MG_5129.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 9,865
  • _MG_5130.JPG
    _MG_5130.JPG
    216 KB · Views: 8,295
  • _MG_5141.JPG
    _MG_5141.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 8,400
  • _MG_5160.JPG
    _MG_5160.JPG
    170.4 KB · Views: 7,664

gravey

Occupation
farmer
I use to own one no bad just clumbsy little light on the front. Oil leak sounds like the rear main, the 4 bolt cover you tightened is just a dust cover. I think that is a two part rope type seal so if you drop the oil pan you can replace rear main seal.

I have had good luck w/ the local mf dealer in finding parts but the machine is getting dated mid 70's I think. just need a mechanical oil and water gauge 2" round from your parts house and you will be in bussiness

good luck

good luck

Haddy

Occupation
earthmoving contractor
Sorry , my mistake . I did some research and I was wrong . The Industrial MF I had worked along side , years ago , had a different control panel than yours and I presumed that all Industrial models were the same

Dan07

Oil Leak

If you look at the last picture on my initial thread you see the engine/tranny sitting on a cross member (you see four prodruding female threaded outcrops, lack of a better description facing sideways and outwards) probably used to attach some option to this side.
Where the engine/tranny are attached to this cross member are the four bolts that I tightened. This cast frame part is thick and the leak is coming from the connection above between the engine/tranny and the cross member below. You can actually see the type of seal. Looks like a washer at each of the four holes(underneath where I tightened the bolts). I ran a flashlight in between and there is a gap between the engine/tranny and this cross member, except, of course where the 4 bolts attach to this via some type of metal gasket.

I use to own one no bad just clumbsy little light on the front. Oil leak sounds like the rear main, the 4 bolt cover you tightened is just a dust cover. I think that is a two part rope type seal so if you drop the oil pan you can replace rear main seal.

I have had good luck w/ the local mf dealer in finding parts but the machine is getting dated mid 70's I think. just need a mechanical oil and water gauge 2" round from your parts house and you will be in bussiness

good luck

good luck

Dan07

I attached a pdf with photo and I drew some arrows where the leak is coming from. Hope this helps

Attachments

• Leaks in between here.pdf
    82.8 KB · Views: 634

OldandWorn

good luck

good luck

As gravey mentioned it sounds like a rear engine crank/main seal. I'm not familiar with your machine but in most cases the joint between the engine and trans was not designed to be leakproof. Engine oil is leaking from the rear of the crank and there is not supposed to be engine or transmission oil inside that casting. If the machine has a dry automotive type clutch oil could be saturating the friction disc.

gravey

Occupation
farmer
that is the dust sheild in the pdf not a gasketthe cross menber is for the loader I think. rearmain I bet but there is a oil line off of the rear of the head that could be leaking down.

good luck

Dan07

As gravey mentioned it sounds like a rear engine crank/main seal. I'm not familiar with your machine but in most cases the joint between the engine and trans was not designed to be leakproof. Engine oil is leaking from the rear of the crank and there is not supposed to be engine or transmission oil inside that casting. If the machine has a dry automotive type clutch oil could be saturating the friction disc.

The clutch has never given us any problem and this leak (i have been told) has been there for a while. Only starts to leak after the engine has been running for 10-15 minutes. I thought I could unbolt the four bolts, raise the engine/tranny a bit from the cross member and then remove that plate and replace it. I am getting closer to finding the actual model (MF50 or MF50A) from AGCO and hopefully can purchase a parts manual that will show a breakdown of this. Maybe it will narrow down the problem and a fix.
Thanks for all your advise.

Dan07

Well I guess I was wrong. It is not engine oil . Was using the backhoe to dig a 300 ft ditch and noticed that the leak is transmission related. And it leaks. So I guess this is a major job of disassembling the Perkins diesel from the Instant Reverse reansmission and repairing whatever is wrong. Might as well replace and repair anything else while they are in there.

Almostbob

Occupation
landlord property manager
this link on my website is a pdf of the service manual for a MF 50 B, working in Tennant Creek at a roadhouse, the Fergie hadn't worked since 1984, got it running and had to scratch for a howto, havent got the parts list yet

whoopie, first actual post

87redsixer

Have MF 50A TLB Very Similar

Better than that I have the Operators Manual. I will scan and provide to you.
Not sure how anyone could survive without it.

Mine leaks at the front engine seal. I've only had it for a couple of months.
I use it quite a bit.
Love it.

KJC

WSBennett

I am picking up a Massey Ferguson MF-300 serial 1196 00 5427. Wondering if you have found any further information on these tractors? It's been a difficult search for good information so far. The backhoe looks to be in pretty good shape, a few seal leaks on some of the implement hydraulics but over all pretty good. 1335 hrs on the meter. Please let me know if you have any info on these. Thanks

First forum post.

hookedondiesel

I have the MF60,TLB, and the leak you describe is or was identical to mine.
That cover with the four bolts is an inspection cover, there should be no oil
coming out of there. If you look to the left of that cover, you'll see a little hole,
about half an inch round, this is where your leak is most likely coming from.
It's in between that plate and the engine, off to the side just a bit.
Here's what mine was doing....
at start up, and about after 15 minutes, it would start to leak from that hole,
( I also thought it was from that plate) I'd say about half a quart of leaking,
then it would stop.
It would only do this on start-up's.
Drain your trans oil, it should NOT be black,,although back in the days, they did use motor oil on some of these.
Put in new trans/hydraulic oil, the kind that use both oils in one.
I can't think of the name off hand.
If this machine hasn't run in a while, the seals may have dried up,
giving it fresh oil may solve your leak problem, it did for me.
It may take a week or so, but the "trans" oil leak will slowly begin to get smaller.

Mf 50 B

I have asked the shredder, but less common model turbine gearbox. other models can be found in more parts of the transmission.I have used "google" no axes turbine gearbox.