• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

Truck Shop

Americans----really don't know how good they have it.
439848710_385265221139862_3409852720903342096_n.jpg

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I was born in 1960
Started with trucks in 75..at 15
Hauling logs off our mountain in WV with a single axle Ford F600
4 and 2 spd tranny
Vacuum over hydraulic brakes
It was interesting to say the least

And for those who have never visited WV coal and log country, there is no flat ground, zero.

cfherrman

How many of the HEF members remember changing a Rope rear main seal?
Using the Sneaky Pete--chinese finger. Those rope seals were a b!tch to remove
and install---some of these young fellers on here need to do a few of those just
to get a taste of yesteryear.

I think I helped my brother change one in the snow on his 302. You had to push it around the crank is what I remember

Truck Shop

I think I helped my brother change one in the snow on his 302. You had to push it around the crank is what I remember
The 302 never had a rope seal, the 302 came out in 1968 and Ford stopped using Rope in 1966.
67 on rear mains were two piece neoprene.

Old Doug

The 63 f600 i use now had a 292 . I replaced its rear main and the bearings were worn . I had a rebuilt 330 out in a 64 . It is a major job to swap the 330 were a y block was . Every one said i would be disapointed . The 330 has been ok but there is alot of diffrents in the 2 engines . For me removing a rope seal is worse than installing one but about all them can be replaced with a neoprene . The 292 was a good engine if you took care of it .

Truck Shop

Your correct I haven't been--Plus have no intension of going---Oh wait a second I have too--
1960 I was 4 years old traveled by car to MD and ARK. Wisconsin straight down in recent times.
My point is there are flat areas--the bottom of valleys. But if we are going to have a contest on
Mountains my state kind of wipes most all out in the lower 48. Plus it has just about the most
diverse climate.
Once past the Rockies there isn't even a good hill or tree.

Last edited:

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
Check your sarCHASM meter.
One of my fave WV features.
View attachment 311068
Have been under that "little" bridge 2x in a raft and up top for Bridge Fest once. Was gonna do the bungee jump but gonads shrunk while standing in line:rolleyes: . Mr. Hansen if you weren't being a smartass New River Bridge Rt. 19, Fayetteville W.V.

Truck Shop

There is no perfectly good bungee, everyone has a defect somewhere. Remember the
one that snapped and smacked your face.