• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

Truck Shop

Way it is these days--and some cases years ago in certain cities it wasn't much better.
I remember the Bakersfield truck stop--Had signs on top of the pumps in the fuel islands,
{Beware of being propositioned} actually it was a advertisement.
434254121_10231923812219991_2474454254761358588_n.jpg

Camshawn

Occupation
retired
Had a friend travelling with his wife on trip that stopped at one of the sketchy spots in Cal. yrs ago. Took his pistol in and took turns with his wife standing guard at the shower. Needless to say, they showered and then moved on down the road. Cam

Truck Shop

Had a friend travelling with his wife on trip that stopped at one of the sketchy spots in Cal. yrs ago. Took his pistol in and took turns with his wife standing guard at the shower. Needless to say, they showered and then moved on down the road. Cam
I always took on enough fuel at Corning going south, I refuel at Corning again headed
back north. Once in a while in Bakersfield because I went over the vine to L.A.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Bakersfield and Orange county TSs, when HAD to stop at those did not hang around. Can remember the two ton stake beds prowling the lot at Orange as fueled, gals slipping off the back or grabbing others to get back on. No Thanks!!

Truck Shop

Then there are the {voices of reason} types, the Spock's carefully weighing and examining
all statements made, as though they were the chosen. Injecting and inserting their
view as though it's the correct established pattern of thought by the masses. And prefer to
think they are more successful all because they are the {voices of reason}.
Truth is they are just another pecker head in the sea of pecker heads.
and now back to old trucks.

Truck Shop

Stuff I read today caused me to remember Trooper Pounder- real last name.
He was stationed in a little town Republic back in the 50's with the WSP.
This young guy who thought laws were for everyone else and ran his mouth
to the local one cop in town kept running stop signs, Pounder had written him
up two times for running stop signs, third time was a charm. Pounder pulled him
over the loud mouth got out of his car and started in on Pounder running his
mouth. Pounder-{I grabbed him by the front of his shirt-and punched his face
like a bag, after three I asked him {Tell me when to STOP} you understand
what stop means now? Shut his mouth and stopped running stop signs.
Pounder was 6'5" and a face chiseled from stone. A incident he told me about.
A person say whatever, run his mouth--in those days it might cost you.

Last edited:

Truck Shop

Closer inspection shows the bed has been extended with planks to allow 15 more boxes. If it's a 1918 truck, maybe it's because of the Spanish Flu?
Very correct and observant----it would have been a good candidate for the first drop axle. In some
cities the morgues were way over full in 1918 and burials were several days behind because unlike
today they were all hand dug. No 580's cruising around grave yards then.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Are several cemetery sections were Grandparents and distant relatives are buried the grounds keepers will explain the headstones are cursory, caskets during the Flu burials were marked with names but most were hurriedly buried attempting to slow the progression of the virus. Most were placed as fast as could situate then the family plots marked even as likely Not buried exactly there.