• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

BSAA65LB

Occupation
Retired!
I learned to run a grader on a Cat 12 with mechanical controls, no hydraulics. Then I spent some time on a Galion pull type grader getting drug around by a tired Farmall M. I was maintaining a dirt race track, parking areas and access roads.

IMO, there would be better grader operators around if they learned how to run a pull type. It teaches you how to use the blade to do the work, not raw power. It also teaches a lot of finesse. And a hell of a lot of work!

Truck Shop

take good look at the lead truck's drive wheels, must have brake issues of some sort.
8-CA0-CFC1-0-B68-4-A2-B-9-AC3-EE5-CF8-AED915.jpg

Truck Shop

That's roughly $650 daily in 2024 dollars? Pretty substantial.
That statement with the photo is really questionable--equipment in those days was a handful
to operate and keep operational, that stuff had a tendency to break down often. Early designs
full of flaws and parts were not easy to come by-in some ways just like today.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
That statement with the photo is really questionable--equipment in those days was a handful
to operate and keep operational, that stuff had a tendency to break down often. Early designs
full of flaws and parts were not easy to come by-in some ways just like today.
I can believe it. I've driven an old truck from the 30s a few times. Even a truck from the 60s is leaps and bounds ahead of those early trucks.

Truck Shop

Modern day it's the other way around
Actually it's not--it's just the external components/emission equipment that is a issue.
The engine below is a DD15-if it was stripped down to just a fuel /intake system there
wouldn't be much on it. Even so changing a cylinder head is not all that bad time wise.
Besides-Cummins doesn't even have a jake quite as strong as the DD series 13, 15, 16.
And there is very few diesel engines on the market that produce 1500 ft lbs torque at
975 rpm rated at 545 hp topping at 1900. The DD will pull down to 1100 rpm on a
grade, coupled with a DT12 AMT transmission at (99,000 lbs GW} it can average up to
5.9 to 6.1 per gal.
Plus the lower ends {cranks} can run 1 million on a set of bearings.
It's the over use of engine management software/electrical/emissions that's causing pain.
Talking with several DD people about this they feel it's overkill also, Corporate is as
Corporate does.