• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
A 1936-1948 346ci flathead Cadillac, the first GM engine with hydraulic lifters. Those things are as heavy as a Cat diesel! They weigh 900 lbs!!
I hate to think what that truck was like to steer!!

I have one in my yard, it was one of two industrial engines installed in 1938 in a local theatre, to drive backup generators.
The local power supply was a little unreliable back then, so the Cadillacs were there to ensure the show or movie went on, in the event of a blackout!

The theatre was in the middle of the city and developers knocked it down in Feb 1974.
The sad part is, they simply flattened everything, they dropped roof girders onto the Cadillac generators, smashing lots of the engines accessories, and then just sold them for scrap metal.

The brother and I bought one from a scrap dealer around 1975, with the intention of using it as source of electric power on the gold mine we owned.
But then we found the smashed carburettor and distributor weren't available any more, so it languished for 15 years in our yard in the country - and then when we sold the land in the country in 1990, I took it with me back to my workshop in the city.
I bought a good used carburettor and distributor off eBay, plus other small parts, from sellers in the U.S., around about 2007-2010.
I also acquired new valves and a new gasket set for it, but new pistons have become especially pricey for these engines, so it's still awaiting restoration.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
It's interesting to see how advanced metallurgy was, in the early days. The Lynite pistons were made from an extremely tough aluminium alloy containing copper, tin and zinc.

The unique process involved in making this alloy was patented by a Frenchman, one Francis Alpha Cothias - in 1897! - and the process was named the Cothias Process, after the inventor.

Truck Shop

It's interesting to see how advanced metallurgy was, in the early days. The Lynite pistons were made from an extremely tough aluminium alloy containing copper, tin and zinc.

The unique process involved in making this alloy was patented by a Frenchman, one Francis Alpha Cothias - in 1897! - and the process was named the Cothias Process, after the inventor.

Alright---enough of the know it all arm chair professor sees all knows all crap. I'm not putting
photo's up for you to set by and broadcast your library wisdom. One of the reasons I stopped
this thread a ways back.

skyking1

some things never change. Love that water truck setup. I bet there is drawn grader somewhere on the haul road.
These wheels look too new for that imaginary grader.
PXL-20210415-140716545.jpg

This looks more like it.

PXL_20220626_174644303.jpg

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Missed this post for almost a year, WOW! Loads of good stuff.
Frt shakers we had in SLC late 79 were same style as Fhart Shacks, stack in the corner on a bell seat that never did.
The rib sided MI tri axle dump trailer was as had a local customer of Mack STL, Gateway Redi-Mix, had a Tri Drive DM series V8 diesel two axle joe-dog and the twin to that trailer. Avg haul was 160K gross in St Louis county Commercial Zone, by axle weight only.
I personally pulled and reinstalled two main drive shafts the driver back roll tootsie rolled in that Mack, Loaded, 1977.

Syleng1

Occupation
Welder- farmer
image.jpgSome of my toy trucks from that era. The Goodwrench is the newest find in the box. Last month. Love them ole cab overs…. Except working on them. They sucked getting underneath with the cab jacked up. Freaky in the wind. Anyhow thanks everyone for sharing. I only drove those to move them for repairs. Syleng1