• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

Truck Shop

I'll put this thought here--it fits in Vetechs {interesting thread} saga, but don't want to mutter it.
Businesses that have trucks that have or want their own maintenance/repair shop. Through the
years-especially the last 27 both places of employment got the bright idea of creating/implementing
the new age idea of making that part of the business a {Profit Center}. {I would like to kick the
a$$hole bean counter who created that term right square in the nuts}.
It seems people in business can't leave well enough alone. About the time the shop starts getting
a good handle on repairs and work level staying on a even keel, the creative money cogs start
grinding in front offices. Never satisfied that their equipment/trucks are ready to go all the time,
{Oh No Lets help everyone and make some MONEY to cover our wages and expenses}. Never mind
the fact that when they hired the crew or one individual for the shop there was no intension of
going retail.----Greed is what starts this thinking.
It always starts as {the owners friend has a motorhome and could you guys do a favor and take
a look at it?}. And in most cases all this wise a$$ sh!t is cooked up on the back nine on a
Saturday afternoon. Which if mainly working on trucks--the new {I just love using this lingo {
Customer Base--base fiddle}. Two terms {Profit Center and Customer Base}----as soon as those
enter a conversation/sentence hold on to your a$$}. All slick a$$ terms to lull the blue collars
in the shop into the possibilities of being a hero to the company by ruining the weekends they
use to have to take care of the new {Customer Base} on Saturdays so the new {Customer Base}
can be ready to run on Monday. {Overtime? what's that I didn't hear you--the front office suddenly
becomes deaf.
I could go on--but it never fails, people in this line of business are always looking for a----------
Profit Center, never happy with just taking care of their own.
The other {Local Market--My Local Market}--There is no market, it's just what some need at that
point in time--nothing but talking points-and {Talking Points} fits right into front office politics.
All of this until something goes upside down--then the blame game starts.

Tugger2

One of the best times in my career was working for a logging contractor that wanted thier own rebuild shop in town,even though they had good shops in the camps as well. Outside work was not even considered when i was there,the company had lots for us to do. Myself as a welder fabricator and another fellow who was an old time Cat man were first hired and directed to equip the shop. we would go to auctions with the instructions of get what you think we need if its over 10 grand call the office before you buy it.This was the early 80s . We were able to attract the best of tradesman in Detroit,Cat, Madill and Americans mainly because of the owners forward thinking that dictated to let these guys in the shop do their work properly and for the most part unencumbered by financial constraints . Together we rebuilt ,built and created every thing from engines and powertrain, grapples from scratch ,painting and electrical. We even developed our own line of castings for Butt rigging and Shackles. The company enjoyed the benifits of top notch work at very reasonable cost . All because the shop stayed focussed on the company,not every tom ,dick n harry off the street. The good old days.

Truck Shop

The type of work I like best, one job I really liked doing for the company. When the owner
finally gave the ok I had this 900 picked out for several reasons, mainly the power train.
The frame lengthen and building the upper carriage for the wheel lift was allot of work but
it made the days fly by. The thing about it is the amount of money saved from outside tows.
Yeah it lost the engine in October but since back running it's made 7 more tows.
001 (11).JPG002 (7).JPG004 (2).JPGPhotoGallery-45-74351-6a17f9eb-3858-4a9c-ba79-9fba33dfe72e_IG_74351.JPG

skyking1

^ "hey you truck, c'mere fur-a minit!"
@Tugger2 and @Truck Shop , in the good old days the boss had some pride in what the company was getting done. It was an entity and those shops were the heart of it.
If that new lathe cost 15 grand it did not matter because he knew what his guys would accomplish with it.
Bean counters started looking too close at every thing and nickel, and they thought that the ability to count beans meant they knew the business, which could not be farther from the truth. They knew how to mess up a wet dream is what they know well.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
Do you know what the truck was used for? Most of the old FWD trucks had snow plow/snow blowers on them. This truck does not look like it had all the framework for that use.