• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

mowingman

Occupation
Retired

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Isn't that an IH "Comfo-Vision" cab, built by the Chicago Manufacturing Company under contract to IH?

Apparently the "Comfo-Vision" cab was actually designed by a Diamond T engineer, and when Diamond T heard IH was planning to design a new cabin, Diamond T offered IH the design, and told IH they would buy the cabs off them, if IH chose to run with it.
IH did take up the design, and then sold the cab to anyone who had the folding readies.

Truck Shop

What are we ozdozer the proof reader for hef? The only way a person could post so much
intricate material is setting with piles of books around the PC. BUDD built the first cabs
along with Some ford trash. Knew a guy who worked for BUDD on the assembly line way
back when.

Last edited:

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
TS, you ain't seen the multiple cabinets I've got full of information about nearly anything ever built. Plus 26 years of BS-ing on forums and picking interesting peoples brains, adds up to a big pile of information.

My first truck in 1967 was an R-190 with the Comfo-Vision cab, 406 gasser (thirsty ol' b**ch that was!), 5 speed, 2 speed rear axle, 1 mpg loaded, 2mpg empty! But how I wish I had it now!!

Truck Shop

I knew this guy----aka Phart Sack Eddy. I've told the story of Phart Sack many times and most
thought the story was untrue. I was digging through old news stories and found this article
about Phart Sack running over the scale house which verifies the story. Really we just called
him Scale House Eddy.
290053130_5208080272613563_2766157637070734268_n.jpg

skyking1

I knew this guy----aka Phart Sack Eddy. I've told the story of Phart Sack many times and most
thought the story was untrue. I was digging through old news stories and found this article
about Phart Sack running over the scale house which verifies the story. Really we just called
him Scale House Eddy.
View attachment 305307
Somebody killed my scale shack where I figured out the 120 position on the tilt trailer. I found out later it was never closer than about 500 pounds to reality at best.
We presume they got ticked off after getting a ticket there, and they returned and backed into it and knocked it right off the foundation. That was the end of that!
It is closed now, torn down and the pit filled with rock.
It was a bummer as it was only a few minutes from the house.
Screenshot 2024-02-13 8.28.28 PM.png

525isx

Occupation
log trucker
Somebody killed my scale shack where I figured out the 120 position on the tilt trailer. I found out later it was never closer than about 500 pounds to reality at best.
We presume they got ticked off after getting a ticket there, and they returned and backed into it and knocked it right off the foundation. That was the end of that!
It is closed now, torn down and the pit filled with rock.
It was a bummer as it was only a few minutes from the house.
View attachment 305523
Elk Plain- mountain hwy ! I hadn't been that way for a long time and as I got there, SURPRISE , no more scale !

Truck Shop

The two closest state scales are on Hyw 12, one just 1.5 miles out of town to the east,
and the one at Wallula Junction--both scales are inoperative. Heading west on 12 from
Idaho there really is no port-of-entry scale, until Bullfrog I-90 Cle Elum. I-82 Plymouth
north is one. Now if in Oregon-there are several.

Truck Shop