• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

skyking1

That Ford I drive, the bumper got trashed a bit on the right by the guy before me. I just pulled it straight enough until that loader Taco-Timed it good.
Paul forgot the hoe pack was there and pulled into it.

Dom

Truck Shop, when fixing trucks was it common to glue parts? My uncle worked in a body shop for a trucking company and they glued hoods and other items. After a while they barely used a welder. It was expensive glue at $300 a tube 10 years ago.Trucks going to NewFoundland would hits mooses once in a while. Big impacts.

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
One thing for sure--drivers will make a good fabricator out of the average mechanic,
better be able to cut your way in and weld your way out.
Don't get me started on the stupidity that is the union freight haulers destruction machine. Every dock worker, yard rat and driver has a vendetta against the equipment with no accountability for anything. There was a particularly large bullseye on roll up doors, 50 cent roller out of the track, open that door with a fork lift and put the door through the roof, brilliant. Don't know how many times I heard the dumbass remark "we're in the freight shipping business, not the truck fixing business.

Truck Shop

Every dock worker, yard rat and driver has a vendetta against the equipment with no accountability for anything.
I guess it was in 2021--Sysco and US. Foods leased parking space in the yard. It was hot out at
5:30 am so doors up on the shop. About 6 Jeff and I heard this racket in the yard, a US Foods
leaving with lift gate still on the ground, he drove almost 5 miles before he was alerted by a cop.
Reason I know it was 5 miles one of our drivers left the yard about 15 minutes after him and
spotted the blues.

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
Couldn't see the sparks-was probably too light by then, couldn't hear the racket- A/C on high and radio full blast, Couldn't feel the drag-just plain dumbass. Same caliber as yard rat who drags a set of doubles around the yard until he burns through a brand new set of trailer tires right through the steel belts and loses air. Came into the shop said he had a flat tire, when confronted said he didn't feel the tail wagon dragging on dry pavement. F-tard didn't even have air connected to the tail. And as you know all too well this was an every day occurrence.

Truck Shop

Common years ago despite the other thoughts of water for brakes, Herrett/GEM Trucking in Sunnyside
ran fuel tanks mounted behind cab on allot of their trucks, that was in the 40's 50's 60's. But
Herrett didn't have anything much newer than a 55 also
411521285_3225879727721862_865935899788127666_n.jpgkw_hopper_bottom_van.jpg

Truck Shop

Absolutely. I’ve been slowly building a cylinder bench in my head. That crane setup just solved a problem for me!
Years go I built a table with drain for disassembly of automatics-solvent tank/washer in middle and
clean table/bench for assembly on the other side--all parts stayed in one area, less working issues.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Years go I built a table with drain for disassembly of automatics-solvent tank/washer in middle and
clean table/bench for assembly on the other side--all parts stayed in one area, less working issues.
I need to do the same, we take care of quite a few dump trucks and they can sure tear stuff up. Have an old FL in the shop now rebuilding the rear third member, old Rockwells. We’re all the time doing cylinders for one thing or another. Putting a Pete back together that got laid on it side a few weeks ago. Always something