• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

skyking1

we used them OK for fixed lower loads. The only truck I drove was a 78 KW water truck with a 318, and I used that to tow a JD 200 excavator on a 3 axle tilt. That was not a match made in heaven.
I ran some old rollers and excavators and a Terex dozer but those are more of the fixed load thing.
The Skagit deck winches had a 3-53 I think.

Old Doug

Truck Shop its been 2 or 3 years since i drove anything Detroit powered . I drove and operater alot of stuff with them for power . I have worked on every thing from a 2 cyl to a v12 and maybe a v16 i was around one but cant remember if i had to work on it. The first semis i drove were 2 strokes . I have welded with portables with them spent a lot of hours sandblasting with a 8v71 running a screw compressor . I have pulled over 130.000 with a 238 6 71 . A Detroit wouldnt be my first choice but they always got the job done but your starting to give me a complex aginst Detroits.

skyking1

I just remembered that KW water truck with the 318 got the last laugh on me.
The company was Wildish out of Portland, and they laid me off when the bulk of the work was done. I was damn glad, it was graveyard work and I was done in.
I get a call from the boss, can I work a day?
The young guy from down that way was tasked to bring it back to Portland, and he got flagged in at the Kelso Scales , and he did not have a CDL. :D
They gave me a ride to the scales and I presented my papers and I ferried it on down.

mekanik

Years ago when I was young and green I was working in a truck shop, the shop foreman told me to "take that truck out and park it in the back yard". It was an old 70's Kenworth cabover with a really long deck and a Hiab mounted at the rear of the deck, it had a 6-71 Detroit in it. It was different from the regular cabover. It did not have a sleeper and was very bare bones, the only upholstery was the seat.
I parked it in the lineup in the back yard and when I turned the key off the engine did not stop, I looked for a tee handle on the dash and floor, it did not have one. It had a Road Ranger transmission so I put in high range and top gear and dumped the clutch and stalled it. With the long frame I could feel the cab twist until the engine stalled then the engine restarted backwards and twisted the truck the other way. It had a rear window and I could see blue smoke coming out of the air filter. It kept twisting back and fourth until I pushed the clutch back in with it running in the right direction.
There was a chrome button on the corner of the instrument panel, I pushed it and the engine shut off.
I still wonder if I left it running twisting back and fourth if it would still be running or would the frame have failed from metal fatigue.

Truck Shop

Trucks years ago didn't always come with keyed ignition, it's common for old petes to only
have a toggle switch and starter button. The only key to my 66 pete was the door locks.
Any truck dash or control panel that has a lever/T handle/ knob with a label that says--
{Emergency Shutdown} should tell you something---{I'm driving or operating a piece of
sh!t}.

Pops52

Occupation
Worn out lowbed driver "retired"
TS, my 72 came with just the toggle for ignition but the owner put a keyed switch in it's place (see pic) AND a 2 prong Cat switch inside the frame below the fuel pump. And, as far as I'm concerned, this dash was the best ever. Jake switch far top left where it belonged....
72 dash2.png72dash1.jpg