• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

Truck Shop

I remember a last year 1987 359 Pete dump that a hydraulic hose parted life on, with a load of wet pit run. That driver never walked right after that and stuttered like Porky Pig.
Bent those rails with ease it did.

Truck Shop

petepilot

I remember a last year 1987 359 Pete dump that a hydraulic hose parted life on, with a load of wet pit run. That driver never walked right after that and stuttered like Porky Pig.

Truck Shop
owner/driver was out of the vehicle when this happened . if he had thought to pull the handle back up most likely everything would have been ok as it was the rig was JUST destroyed

petepilot

Princeton Transfer hauling a load of Re-bar for the culvert. Appears that there is a problem with some of the re-bar on the first truck.View attachment 193244
call me chicken but i would not have been anywhere near where that guy on the ground is. I can picture osha here or what ever the ca. equiv. is checking out that scene now days

Last edited:

Truck Shop

That photo reminds me of when the new highway down the Lewiston Grade was opened just at the start of winter. Ryerson Steel truck loaded with a variety mainly re-bar
took the third escape ramp only to soar off the end, cab totally harpooned with steel. DOT had not tilled the pea gravel after several freeze and thaws.

Truck Shop

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
Question I do not have a answer for is on page 90 when they were filling in the tressel how did the inside fill up with rock and not colapse the tressel?? I have asked 15 old boys from town and no one know or remembers.

Old Doug

Question I do not have a answer for is on page 90 when they were filling in the tressel how did the inside fill up with rock and not colapse the tressel?? I have asked 15 old boys from town and no one know or remembers.
I could be wrong but i bet they removed the wood because it would have been the hard way.Did they lay more tracks beside the old ones?

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
I do not know if they laid more tracks they may off like i said it was a 2 year job in the late 40's and I did not find or receive these pictures until 2008. So any one that worked on this project was gone and not many people took pictures back then of work.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I do not know if they laid more tracks they may off like i said it was a 2 year job in the late 40's and I did not find or receive these pictures until 2008. So any one that worked on this project was gone and not many people took pictures back then of work.
In the 40's the Milwaukee Road filled a local trestle that is still in use by a Shortline RR, for 20 years the fill has been sinking in the center as the wood rots away. They also have been dealing with wooden culverts that are slowly collapsing.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I know it was common practice to leave at least the vertical posts, maybe they unbolted the horizontal members as they got to ground level. Over by Novato a couple weeks ago I think it was Novato Creek flooded and washed away part of a levee with the RR on it and the ancient posts were exposed half rotted.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Bury wood where cannot get air takes a LONG time to rot below grade, add high or low pH as with Limestone(High) and the caustic aspect eats it away.

Mother Deuce

Truck Shop
The rail line was in use till 1985. It is now part of the Trans Canada trail system. I have ATV across many times as it is less than 20 miles from my house.
Take an "after" shot next if find yourself in the neighborhood this summer from where the original one was taken and compare it to the original. Might shed a little light on where the roadbed ended up.