• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

Truck Shop

I have to say I would like to get inside of one to see if they are as roomy as they look. Of course being a non tilt cab you have to go through the interior to get to the engine. Been there on an old bubblenose Freightliner and a '56 KW K100? Not a lot of fun.

I was in one years ago, it had decent room for the driver. And yes those old stationary cabs were not that fun when it came to doing engine work. But those old
cab overs had the looks the newer ones never had.:)

Truck Shop

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I was in one years ago, it had decent room for the driver. And yes those old stationary cabs were not that fun when it came to doing engine work. But those old
cab overs had the looks the newer ones never had.:)

Truck Shop

After watching the vid that looks to be one wide cab, could be that a long leg critter like me could even be comfy in the bunk.

Truck Shop

That truck in the video was updated to a small cam 350 Cummins. But in those years NA primarily was what there was for choice's. Cummins 220 with a turbo/262 and the variety
of engines stemmed from Waukesha, Buda, Le Roi, but most were the Cummins HB6 at 150 hp.

Truck Shop

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
The 250 in my 63 Autocar has a turbo but specs call it altitude compensating something or other lol. It was born with a 220. It's also a passenger side starter. Not sure where Jimmy came up with the motor in it.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
That truck in the video was updated to a small cam 350 Cummins. But in those years NA primarily was what there was for choice's. Cummins 220 with a turbo/262 and the variety
of engines stemmed from Waukesha, Buda, Le Roi, but most were the Cummins HB6 at 150 hp.

Truck Shop

You forgot the Hall-Scott engines... :oops: The 1091's were pretty strong in the day

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
The 250 in my 63 Autocar has a turbo but specs call it altitude compensating something or other lol. It was born with a 220. It's also a passenger side starter. Not sure where Jimmy came up with the motor in it.

Maybe on the same lines as the old Caterpillars dozers turbo's that were used on high altitude machines and had to have the fuel set totally different. There were called altitude compensating also. Not really a boost like todays turbo's but just enough to make up for the thinner air.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Oh I didn't forget them I was just leaving it out knowing you would jump on those scotty engines;).

Truck Shop
Well, for what it's worth, the huge gassers of the 40's and 50's have always fascinated me. I guess it started with Granddad's 450 and 501 powered IH "K" series trucks. Even got to drive an old Mack "L" with a 707 gas once for the fun of it.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Last edited:

Truck Shop

Well, for what it's worth, the huge gassers of the 40's and 50's have always fascinated me. I guess it started with Granddad's 450 and 501 powered IH "K" series trucks. Even got to drive an old Mack "L" with a 707 gas once for the fun of it.

I was just kidding you, but you did leave out the Climax engines

Truck Shop

Climax1.jpg

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
The AC is my buddy's. He bought it from a guy who spent six figures resorting it. It's probably in better shape than new. My friend is a hardcore bulldog man. In his mind they're the only real truck there. I've wrenched on his stuff for years. Several Superliners with E9 V8's, R models with 350's, the old END stuff in the B models, gas motor in the wrecker runs like a sewing machine. AC ran like crap when he got it. A days tinkering and I had it purring like a kitten. It's like the old dozers you can lug it down and literally count each cylinder firing.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
The AC is my buddy's. He bought it from a guy who spent six figures resorting it. It's probably in better shape than new. My friend is a hardcore bulldog man. In his mind they're the only real truck there. I've wrenched on his stuff for years. Several Superliners with E9 V8's, R models with 350's, the old END stuff in the B models, gas motor in the wrecker runs like a sewing machine. AC ran like crap when he got it. A days tinkering and I had it purring like a kitten. It's like the old dozers you can lug it down and literally count each cylinder firing.
That wrecker has to be the heaviest EH model Mack I have ever seen, most were just another medium duty truck. I had an A-53 once years ago with a pitman crane, had an EN-471 gasser with a 5x3 trans. Same small cab as the EH model, It sounded good with a 4" straight pipe.