• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

mekanik

Not sure the make of truck. A great uncle of mine sadly the history has been lost.
ld3RNM9.jpg

Truck Shop

Hay Shakers, the town I use to live in {Ellensburg} was/is the King of Timothy Hay. The quality
of the Timothy grown there is top choice. Years back I knew of several shakers that had a steady
haul to California, all truck trailer rigs. 90% were Pete 352 or 362's. One had a steady haul to
Santa Anita race track. Horses require grass hay, owners of race horses only feed top quality Timothy.
Timothy grown in the Kittitas Valley has the highest protein of any. Before a cutting it will stand
chest high, windrows when fluffed 4' plus feet high. Standard equipment is a John Deere swather
and self propelled Freeman {Three wire baler} no twine. Average bale 125 lbs. 500 bales average
on a truck/trailer.

A lot is always shipped to Kentucky at very premium prices. Either by railcar or loaded in moving
vans looking for a load going east. Batesville casket company hauls a bunch to Kentucky.

Below is a standard hay hauler for feed lots and dairy's, load of straw in this photo. I use to work
on this one.

johnson_bros_hayside2.jpg

Truck Shop

And this was it's sister, powered by a very hot running 3408. Someone bought it removed the bed
in this photo. And below that is the same Pete 362H 3408 powered repainted by a truck restoration
guy in Norway, where it now lives. I had a online chat with him about the Original Purple People Eater.
I told him she was a real runner, he replied {Oh Yes There, I've never driven a truck with that much
power and I've driven 700hp Scania's. That Cat is unbelievable}.

275544537_3038315536383575_3024314669827994360_n.jpg275463665_3038306446384484_625480410576472510_n.jpg

Truck Shop

And a funny story about the People Eater.

I had stopped in my morning haunt a tavern a friend owned for coffee on my way to work one
Monday morning. The owner {a friend} had a question. {You know of a purple & white truck
that hauls hay? Yes. WTF does that thing have in it? John and I both took our pickups with
campers and boats down on Friday morning to bass fish below the dam. Coming back up from
Vantage the wind was blowing like hell, I had it down over 3/4 on the go pedal. I looked in my
mirror and could see this loaded hay truck gaining on us. Next thing I know his blinker came on.
The Son of a B!tch passed us. We were probably 40 to 45 mph he had to be a little over 50.

John Fisher setting at the bar said BS--Ron said you can ask my wife Julie better yet ask John.
I sat there grinning {Yeah that was Dicky behind the Wheel}:cool:

skyking1

love the water bottle hanging on the bumper, @Pops52
cool stuff and stories Mike.
I used to mess with timothy hay until my allergies said no more, when I was about 16. I barned a few loads as a lad before that. Last time I got next to an old school broke down baler, my eyes looked like hot coals from the fire.
No hay or hay burners for me :)