• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

56wrench

As far as pulling the wheel and drum as an assembly, i've done it that way lots of times, front or rear or trailer, as long as i'm not changing the drum. Drives or trailers, i use a dolly if on concrete, or if outside in the dirt use a greased wide plank. Also works with steers. With the weight just off the bearings they slide right off after the seal breaks loose. Same on the steers. It just takes more care because they don't balance on their own like a dual assy. There's no actual heavy lifting. You have to be careful reassembling so as to not damage the seal. This procedure saves having to re-torque wheels and is easy to check bearing adjustment on older trucks in my opinion, and it can save time in the long run as long as the brakes can be backed off enough. On old trucks and trailers with spoked hubs it also saves time by not having to break the wheels and spacer bands loose during removal and to true the wheels during installation assuming they were true to begin with. Just my opinion.

skyking1

This was only 29 years in
300px-Gee_Bee_R-1.jpg

The Schneider Trophy plane the debuted the Rolls Royce v-12 in 1929, only 26 years in
1280px-Supermarine_S.6A_N248.JPG

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry

Truck Shop

Yes just last night I saw mention of the "1941’s Louisiana Maneuvers" before WW2. The heavy use of horses sure got changed out fast in the next year or two! If not familiar with "Louisiana Maneuvers" do a Google search on it.

My dad was in the last 4 years of horse drawn artillery. He served from 1934 to 1946.
From 34 to 38 he was at Fort Sam Houston, he drove six horse or mule team pulling
munitions and piece. 1938 was the year the army started to switch to total mechanized
transport. He was the last of the brown boots. He rode color guard in front of the top
three army generals at Fort Sam. From 1943he was in the south pacific in the army
air corp. First Sargent/Master.