1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Memories for us old truckers

Discussion in 'Old Iron!' started by Truck Shop, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Hallback

Hallback Senior Member

Contract logger and cutter
    Resized_95storage95.jpeg C15, 18 speed, 46k double lockers on air, custom front axle & disc brakes all around.

JPV, Crummy, Truck Shop and 2 others like this.
  2. petepilot

petepilot Senior Member

80-81?

DMiller likes this.
  3. Hallback

Hallback Senior Member

77 I think is what he told me.

DMiller likes this.
  4. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    Pretty nice rig, everything except the disc brakes. I use to change out on average 4 to five drive axle wheel seals a year, now because of the small seal cavity and constant heat build-up in heavy traffic it's sometimes 5 wheel seals a week with air disc.

Last edited: May 11, 2021
    DMiller, DB2 and skyking1 like this.
  5. Old Doug

Old Doug Senior Member

I have only been around 1 truck with disc maybe they will stop making them and they will be a just a bad memory.

DMiller likes this.
  6. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
  7. Birken Vogt

Birken Vogt Charter Member

What kind of disc brakes on a unit of that age?

DMiller likes this.
  8. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

From the C15 on I don't think much of that truck is of "that age" any more.

DMiller and Hallback like this.
  9. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    Two choices-Bendix or Meritor/Wabco..

10. JPV

JPV Senior Member

It originally had a 3408 with a retarder that he rebuilt a couple times then swapped in the C-15. I believe he bought it new.

DMiller and Hallback like this.
  11. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    That was a definite up-grade.

DMiller, JPV, Hallback and 1 other person like this.
  12. Hallback

Hallback Senior Member

Very good!
    He just had the C15 rebuilt by a guy over in Madras also. We race together in the stick shift classes here in the Northwest. He's a top-notch driver an excellent guy. The only thing left on that that is a model is the cab and front fibreglass.

DMiller, Truck Shop and JPV like this.
  13. 525isx

525isx Well-Known Member

log trucker
    I traded that truck in on my first brand new pete in 1988- that is a '79- bought new by Shelby Martin, had 3408,13spd 2 speed rears on rubber block- I got to talk to Dick at the Morton scale ramp a couple years ago

DMiller, JPV and Truck Shop like this.
  14. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    When I was just a kid on the dairy farm outside of Prosser, Wa. I took my first ride in a new 1963 K100 with Corky Pistoresi. Early 335 with 5 X 4. The aluminum cattle boxes were built by
    Rea Manufacturing in Touchet, Wa. The sign is still on the old building. Pictured below is Nello Pistoresi standing in the center with drivers. Nello had the finest looking rigs on the road in those days.
    The paint schemes were unique and really look better than 98% of the paint jobs done today. Pistoresi was and still is based in Toppenish, Wa. Although they don't haul livestock anymore, deregulation
    in the early 80's ended that. The color photos are circa 78. 167721888_10219167791132997_1398343614010509974_n.jpg pistoresi 11.jpg 167370207_10219167732771538_569111975383995436_n.jpg pistoresi.png

colson04, DMiller, 59 North and 6 others like this.
  15. Birken Vogt

Birken Vogt Charter Member

One reason I was curious is that in a former life we had a Van Pelt fire truck with 6V92 for go and disc brakes for stop. (Also Jakes) I remember somebody saying the brakes were not that good. It may have been built in the early 80s. Never heard or seen anything else that old with discs. When they came out in a big way back in the early-mid '00s there was a lot of complaining of course. But I don't know what kind of discs they would have had 20 years before that.

DMiller likes this.
  16. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    The air disc in the early 80's was Bendix also. And yes it was true garbage especially combined with the early Bendix ABS/anti-skid. There were many law suits over that. The ABS would keep backing the
    application air off which meant you had to apply more air which would cause a low air situation. On a long grade the next thing you knew was the low air buzzer and light went on-if wig wag it dropped.

DMiller and DB2 like this.
  17. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

Nice old pics @Truck Shop . The Pistoresi trucks and that one loading at the rail car, cool.

DMiller likes this.
  18. 59 North

59 North Active Member

The grill on the red Freightliner COE in the first photo reminds me of a couple of trucks
    my father purchased used (ex CF?). Don't recall what years they where, (late 50's?).
    No radiator behind the grill, it was located in lower RR corner of the cab. 4 wheel drive and very short wheel base.
    220? Cummins and 10spd road ranger. Cab did not tilt.

DMiller likes this.
  19. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    The Freightliner Cab over in the first photo above was built between 1953 to 1957. The first tilt cab model was 1958. !968 was first year wipers were lowered on front of cab.
    In those early years diesel engine choices were limited to Buda or Cummins.

59 North and DMiller like this.
  20. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Almost Retired
    Chesterfield MO Airport had a Foam Truck we would have to go out annually and rebuild the calipers at the airfield, Bendix ABS Disc Brakes, could NOT drive it on roadways as Empty weighed in at 83,000 lb four axle. SUCKED.