• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
A large Le Roi engine

Truck Shop

View attachment 174676
Any info on this one? Looks to be a genset engine. V-12 with both intake and exhaust manifolds in the center, Le Roi had a V-8 that was used in the 10 military trucks in the 50's that was similar. I never saw one but had a manual for the 10 ton trucks because I used to work on a lot of them the local farmers had, but they all had that miserable 765 Cummins V-8 that I doubt saw much civilian use.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
But someone would have seen you driving a lowly international.......................

A lowly corn binder got me into trucking. I bought a wrecked one and after a little work I was truckin! It's still workin up in MN on the farm as far as I know. It was a gutless turd. But I didn't have a payment back then.

Truck Shop

Any info on this one? Looks to be a genset engine. V-12 with both intake and exhaust manifolds in the center, Le Roi had a V-8 that was used in the 10 military trucks in the 50's that was similar. I never saw one but had a manual for the 10 ton trucks because I used to work on a lot of them the local farmers had, but they all had that miserable 765 Cummins V-8 that I doubt saw much civilian use.

I saw one like that engine at a old iron show in Puyallup in the late 80's. I don't remember much about it except it was an old genset from a hospital with hardly
any hours on it.

Truck Shop

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Few will remember Buda, Waukesha, Hercules, Black Diamond even White Mustang Engines. Still a ton of small flat head Continentals out there but the large engines they made are all but gone to museums.

mitch504

Gray Marine used more than just 6-71s. They produced a lot of 4 cylinders, both 53s and 71s, and I think more. I have seen more 4s than 6s, but I don't remember what all I've heard of, I think some V8s. The military used a lot of the 4s.

mitch504

Buda became Allis-Chalmers, then Fiat Allis if I remember right. I know somebody bought them and just changed the name. I had a customer that had a bunch of Buda stationaries, and Allis Chalmers equipment. I've seen a few Waukeshas, military surplus I think. The others are new to me.

crane operator

I removed a waukesha from the basement of a hospital in Des Moines. It was a big 12 or 16 cylinder v motor, natural gas if I remember right. It was a generator/stationary, I think the engine/ generator bare was over 30,000lbs. It was loaded on a truck and headed to south america- probably powering something in the middle of the jungle.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
What I found curious, in the little time I was working in San Leandro CA a fellow in our shop had a 1944 White Halftrack but had a Buda Diesel conversion in it. Never got it running as parts in the late 70's were non-existent.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I removed a waukesha from the basement of a hospital in Des Moines. It was a big 12 or 16 cylinder v motor, natural gas if I remember right. It was a generator/stationary, I think the engine/ generator bare was over 30,000lbs. It was loaded on a truck and headed to south america- probably powering something in the middle of the jungle.

I've got some great bookends that were Waukesha-Pierce natural gas pistons. From a 16 cylinder on a compressor. About 5-1/2" in diameter. I used the wrist pins to take slack out of tracks when hauling machines on my beam. They're about 2" in diameter and a good 1" wall thickness. I'll have to snap some pics when I get back home.

Truck Shop

I toured the Waukesha plant in 1982 what a place. Oliver tractors were a common spot to find Waukesha engines gas or diesel. Kenworth used Waukesha, Le Roi,
Hall Scott, Buda and Hercules as did many other companies from the fifties down. i think it was where the best buy could be found in some cases and size of engines
available.

Truck Shop

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Last edited:

Truck Shop

Thought I would post some typical shop work. This Series 60 14L came out of a wreck It saw some RPM and slightly bent all the valves. The head is good so I will replace
all the valves have it magged and decked if it needs it. I checked the liner protrusion it's on the low side so I will pull pistons and liners and cut the counter bores for shims.
And install new rods and pistons and liners along with bearings. Change the air compressor and reseal the rear structure. Plus replace injector harness.

Truck Shop

001.JPG 002.JPG 004.JPG 006.JPG

Last edited:

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
If I had one like this I would drive it to the coffee shop every Saturday morning to hang out with the retired guys that could appreciate it.

Ummmm there are those of us far from retirement that would appreciate it! Only problem is all the retired guys will have eaten and be long gone by the time we show up for breakfast!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Just need get up Earlier!! I was up at 3:30 this morning and NOT by choice!! @@ eyes opened when the pain resumed as the last dose of meds said we give up! Still get a little more done in a day than many that don't ache seemingly everywhere! Neighbor stated "He gets more done on a bad day than I can do on a good one"