• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Amazing how long these old dino's have lasted and still working.
About 4 years ago I almost bought an R-190 with a 450 engine on propane for a shop truck to move trailers around, thing ran like a good watch but traveling 30 miles just to fill those 2 huge tanks wasn't worth it for me. Plus I figured converting back to gas would jinx it bad.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
AM 690 out of Prineville used to play that music but recently I gave a listen and they seem to have moved up into the 1980s or something.

I did hear some very amusing Jerry Reed on the car radio when I visited Missouri a while back. You don't hear that around here.

colson04

The best we got out here is 94.1 FM, The Duke. Plays everything from 60's to 90's country. My wife complains every time she gets in my truck "Ugh, Not this old crap again". She doesnt get it, but my 5 year old loves it because I love it, and he sings every song right along with me.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Oh, my... I don't know what to say. I guess they made good use of the original muffler brackets. And well... those wraparound fiberglass bumpers were a pain when you worked on the engine. I took a Sawzall to the 2 Volvos I had and took 4" off the ends so I could get past the tires. Those trucks were nowhere as pretty as this one.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Little quality time ahead with some Mothers!
No... a little quality time with Jose when he's out acid blasting some customer trucks. He can make them nice and white. :cool: The previous owner ran I90 all the time in the winter and the salt and deicer took its toll. He also apparently never changed oil. I've been doing 2500 mile changes since I got it and now the oil consumption has gone to near zero, and the gas mileage is hitting 15+. I'm kinda happy with the old beast.
All 10 plug holes have been properly rebushed, replace a couple of tie rod joints, cleaned and repacked the front hubs, now I should be good for another 200K.
Oh wait... I need to replace some exhaust parts its got a cat back dual exhaust and muffler and tailpipe time is coming near.

Mother Deuce

Hmmm I was just at the dealer with the GTI 102,500 in 31 months. I need to do the brakes fronts are down to 2mm, the rear pads are good but the rotors are pitting from salt. :confused: I have had this harmonic resonation at 50 miles per hour on a new surface for about 3 months... thought it was a left rear wheel bearing checking out. Turns out that all four wheels are bent slightly both around the radius and from bead to bead. If you put a straight edge next to it and spin it you can see it slightly.:( 30 months and 6 tires lost to the pothole obstacle course are showing in the wheels. 2200 for freshies... I was told there is someone in Mass that makes a cottage industry out of truing light weight go faster wheels for around 600. Guess we will find out. The wooba, wooba, wooba harmonic racket is the tires that are now cupping on the inside due to the wheel issues. So I reckon I will be call Bibb the Michlein Man for 4 more. As hickok 45 say's on You Tube "Life is good!"o_O

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I noticed there are trees in the back ground of photo about your Ford. I have been through ML many times in my life, I must have missed those.
We have a few trees. Gives the damn squirrels a place to hide out. Story is the squirrels were imported to here from Walla Walla. Seriously.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Salt cancer is taking my Super Ford, wheels and all. Are becoming porous where seep air pressure thru the rims, actually can see them bubble up in a water tank.

The old Volvo White Road tractor Dump Conversion is what we had as typical's around here in the late seventies thru eighties and just into the nineties. Damned ugly for broken springs, broken hangers, torque rod bushings slammed to hell and back, single rail frames cracked cross member the owners would try to weld the cracks looked like test coupons. Money Pits overall.

Truck Shop

The DOT inspector around here {I know him} has been living here for years before he became an inspector three years ago. So he already knew the companies and rigs that had been pushing
the limits and way past the limits. He works the construction and farmer end pretty hard. He knows those rigs are not crossing any scales or port of entry crossings so most are out of compliance.
Plus bad permits, tonnage, tabs and FHWA inspections were not done. Then the bitching started-the guy is just doing his job is the way I see it. My company has to comply so should they.