• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

mechanical vs electric drive loaders.

dominikat12

Well I have heard from operators who operated electric drive loaders (new generation) that basically they were designed to go in reverse when they dig into harder surface.( Letourneau 1850 operator said this ).Thats why i want to ask you don't you think that mechanical driven loaders are better than electric one. And don't electric loaders suffer power loss for the sake of economy?I would love to see what would happen in a pulling match between L 2350 loader and WA 1200 Komatsu (which is mechanical).Probably the komatsu might win.
What do you think?

Ross

Ah ... The old Leccy Vs Meccy

IMO the mech is better at outright digging .. The Leccy is better for loading.

L2350 VS WA1200 .. Probably the LeT as its heavier and its all about traction.

>HevyIndsMFGng<

Occupation
Mechanic/Student
I'm gonna have to go with the L2350 as well. Primarily because electric motors have major amounts of torque from the instant they're turned on.

Could you better explain what you meant by "And don't electric loaders suffer power loss for the sake of economy?" I cant quite understand what you're asking ****** sry

In addition to that, the mechanical drive uses a torque converter which uses fluid to transfer the rotational energy. This torque converter is relatively inefficient and still allows fluid to slip between the two drive plates of the converter which reduces the machines overall torque. As much as I like the engineering aspects of mechanical drives and their associated complexity, the electric motor design is so much more simple and efficient. Or at least that's my opinion ;D

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Electric drive has issues with startup, particularly in stall conditions. If the motors aren't allowed to turn they will smoke in short order. I've had little experience with these by choice. I have worked for dealer that sold Haulpak trucks and the manufacturer took special precautions through software to prevent overheating the motors. The issue was getting the truck started moving in deep mud on steep inclines. I suppose the same holds true for stalling the machine into a bank trying to load the bucket.

Where the electron machines really shined was in log stackers. The push loads only lasted as long as it took grab a load of logs out of the deck. The winch drives for lifting had incredible mechanical advantages. The motors always had plenty of time to cool off between heavy loading.

The efficiency of torque converters has more to do with heat buildup from friction inherent in a fluid coupling rather than leakage out of the component housing.

Both units have their place and the true measure of a machine is how much money it makes for its owners.

oldseabee

Occupation
Retired
torque converters actually multiply torque up to 3 to 1, the by product of this is heat, then some models like Allison go into lock up when certain conditions are met, this puts the converter into direct drive so there is no loss. One big advantage of electric drive in large mine trucks is that the motors turn into generators on down grades and save on brakes.