• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

master link

Deeretracks

Occupation
Shop Foreman
I've never seen a split master on a lubed chain, always on SALT chain. Also never seen SALT chain on an excavator so it may take some research to find something off a dozer that matches up. Best bet is to call your local aftermarket u/c supplier. They will have specs on your chain and should be able to tell you if they can make it happen. Just for clarity, why do you want a split master on an excavator? Do you remove the track a lot?

Catdaddi

I've never seen a split master on a lubed chain, always on SALT chain. Also never seen SALT chain on an excavator so it may take some research to find something off a dozer that matches up. Best bet is to call your local aftermarket u/c supplier. They will have specs on your chain and should be able to tell you if they can make it happen. Just for clarity, why do you want a split master on an excavator? Do you remove the track a lot?

I got a customer up in West Vagina and he is in the field and wanting it to help with the install. probably don't have access to a press and tired of swinging that 20lb. lol.

lantraxco

Depends on the chain spec, some are dimensionally identical to dozer chain but usually with much softer and more flexible links and pins. These you can sometimes substitute dozer split master links in place of the pinned links. Many of the excavators use metric pitch tracks though and as such will not have any matching dozer master links to use. Tell him to grind the master pin down a bit and weld both ends, after all if he's taking the tracks apart every other week it must be a real patched up machine anyway......

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Welding the ends won't keep the pin in. It just cracks the steel off the pin and the edges of the links. Most of what I have been seeing are not pressed in anymore. A Tee head and a big cotter pin on the back. I've heard of people trying the split links but never heard of anyone being successful with using it on excavators. Excavator chains have a lot less press fit than dozers. That's the big reason the links spread on the pins and the chains get real snaky and like to come off. I have chucked new master pins in a lathe and used a grinder to make the press about a thousandth inch instead of seven thousandth of an inch.

lantraxco

Depends on what you weld it with. Eutectic 680 usually holds if you tension the track before welding. The headed master pins went out of style in the early 90's, don't tell me they're bringing them back?

Deeretracks

Occupation
Shop Foreman
I've had good luck welding pins in on old sh*tty rails. I pre/post heat and use my scaler to peen the crap out of it.